Fall 2015 Acceptances (!)

Yes! Both I and Hreaðemus (the fora's other Anglo-Saxonist) will be there. I'll PM you in re deets; it'd be cool to say hi/have a friendly face among what I can only imagine will be a ridiculously intimidating crowd!

No joke about the intimidating crowd! And yes please, that'd be amazing.

I think this needs to be a thing at all open houses. Seriously guys. It needs to happen. Think about it. We could all have people!

(Also, hey Hreaðemus!)

(Also, hey Hreaðemus!)

Hey! :D My friend Samuel is coming too, so the crowd is getting less intimidating by the second - we now know, what, 1/3 of the incoming cohort? It's going to be so much fun!!

Congrats on your admit! Hopefully that means I'll hear from U Delaware soon.

Thank you! Dr. Spaulding said I would receive an official letter in the mail later this week or early next week, so fingers crossed for you! Gender Studies is also one my interests (mixed with Appalachian ecocriticism). 

It happens a lot. You can just write another little submission as an addendum and, as your note, write "Previous poster. Q and V switched." That's what a lot of people seem to do. CONGRATULATIONS on your acceptance!

Thanks, hypervodka! I took your advice with the results board. I'm surprised they haven't incorporated an edit button yet.

Welcome Quesillo! And congratulations! Delaware is one of my top choices... did they mention how many they will be accepting for the PhD program?

Thank you, morristr! He did not mention how many folks they're accepting, but I actually missed the call because I was in class. The only info I have is from a voicemail and an email the DGS sent after, and they basically said the same thing. I hope you hear something soon, though! 

Such amazing acceptances! Way to go everyone!

Well, I finally heard back from GSU. Although they accepted me to their program they will be unable to offer me funding -- so no GSU for me! I'm thankful for my funding offer from Clemson, and I still have a lot of schools to hear back from. More waiting, right?? (More dark chocolate...more pinot...)

Let me add to the huge congratulations everybody!!!! Such amazing talent and smarts in this community obviously, wow. Gosh my heart rate goes up every time I check this board -- I have to say it's actually pretty exciting to lurk and follow along with everyone's windy paths!

I hear you on the dark chocolate obrial - although I pair mine with beer as I bite my nails (and watch Buffy lol) *cheers*

Hi everyone, I have been a perpetual lurker here (mainly because I lost my GradForum Username & Password). First up, congrats to all you seriously talented folks. You guys are incredible. Also, I have had rejects and implied rejects from like 9 places (so I thought I really didn't belong here) before I got an acceptance from UC Davis (that too, 10 days after the first acceptance was sent). Now I was wondering if anyone could give me some inputs on how good is UC Davis before I make a decision. It is hard, I read, which is great! It has a great New Media program, which is great. But how's the English department's reputation on the whole? Also, the placement record seems very disappointing. My only decision right now is to take this up or wait for another year, work on my writing sample and go someplace better? Any inputs?

Hi everyone, I have been a perpetual lurker here (mainly because I lost my GradForum Username & Password). First up, congrats to all you seriously talented folks. You guys are incredible. Also, I have had rejects and implied rejects from like 9 places (so I thought I really didn't belong here) before I got an acceptance from UC Davis (that too, 10 days after the first acceptance was sent). Now I was wondering if anyone could give me some inputs on how good is UC Davis before I make a decision. It is hard, I read, which is great! It has a great New Media program, which is great. But how's the English department's reputation on the whole? Also, the placement record seems very disappointing. My only decision right now is to take this up or wait for another year, work on my writing sample and go someplace better? Any inputs?

Davis is a great school.  I know less about the English program, but I know for USN (whatever that's worth) it's solidly in the top 30.  In general though, Davis is considered one of the best schools in California.  If you're worried about placement, I would inquire about non-TT and alt-ac jobs -- these are questions I plan on asking at the program I'm visiting next week.  Personally, I think a lot of academia is headed in that direction.  TT jobs are not things our generation/cohort should feel entitled to and we need to start asking different questions when it comes to employment.  I would think with a PhD from Davis, even if the TT job market is tight (it's tight for everyone), you would probably fare well in California CCs and maybe in the Cal State system.  California has the biggest state university AND CC systems of any state and I would think having a degree from a well-regarded UC like Davis would serve you well if you're willing to look for jobs and send your CV around to places outside of the obvious name brands.  Something to think about.  I'm a California native and most of my high school friends who bothered to go to college went to CCs, which have become completely overcrowded since the Governator slashed funding for state-run education and upped the tuition for UCs and Cal States.  I would imagine they really need teachers.

Edited by mollifiedmolloy

UC Davis is a fabulous school and its English program is well regarded. I certainly wouldn't hold out, because you never know if you'll get back in next year. It's a big accomplishment to be accepted there at all. 

I am dumbfounded and crying with happiness. My first choice, Tennessee, accepted me, fully funded, with three additional fellowships and a nomination for a fourth. 

And there's snow on the ground outside. It's like the best day of my life.

I am dumbfounded and crying with happiness. My first choice, Tennessee, accepted me, fully funded, with three additional fellowships and a nomination for a fourth. 

Ahhhhhh!!! Congratulations, Hannalore! I know how worried you were about being shut out. Way to go!! :D

*throws confetti*

*does back flip*

*stumbles, hurts leg*

*does it again*

:D

That's so wonderful! So wonderful! Congratulations! 

YES YES YES YES YEAAAAAAAAHHH.

And you have a promising side career as an alchemist (or conjurer of any kind, if you're not too picky).

Edited by hypervodka

Out of upvotes but YAY for you!  :)  :)  :)

Thank you so much everyone! I'm so glad I started posting here, you guys are the best.

I'll also have to get straight to work on transmuting decisions for everybody's remaining schools!

Thank you so much everyone! I'm so glad I started posting here, you guys are the best.

I'll also have to get straight to work on transmuting decisions for everybody's remaining schools!

If you could magic up an acceptance for me at Colorado or Calgary, I'll send you a cake. To Knoxville, if need be.

I've been trying to cast Expecto Acceptus, but I may have used all my magic up trying to make it snow in South Carolina.

Edited by CrashJupiter