Fall 2015 Acceptances (!)

I think(?) I was accepted to Fordham's program today. Received an email from the graduate school congratulating me on my admission, but it definitely had the ring of a follow-up email, as if I should have received some other communication prior to this one. When I checked the application status page, my app is still marked as only 'submitted.' 

So, not sure how to interpret this one. Not that it matters a whole lot at this point -- I'm really only considering OSU and UMD -- but it'd be nice to know for sure if I personalized emails haven't gone out yet, or if I somehow missed an email from their DGS, etc. etc. 

I received a similar email yesterday and was seriously confused. Then a few hours later I received an email that my application status had been updated and, lo and behold, it was! I'd give it till the end of the day. 

I think(?) I was accepted to Fordham's program today. Received an email from the graduate school congratulating me on my admission, but it definitely had the ring of a follow-up email, as if I should have received some other communication prior to this one. When I checked the application status page, my app is still marked as only 'submitted.' 

So, not sure how to interpret this one. Not that it matters a whole lot at this point -- I'm really only considering OSU and UMD -- but it'd be nice to know for sure if I personalized emails haven't gone out yet, or if I somehow missed an email from their DGS, etc. etc. 

That's strange. Was this for the MA program or the PhD? I applied to their MA program and got an email this morning directing me to check my status for the admission decision, which brought me to my acceptance letter. 

I got a weird email from them a couple weeks ago inviting me to an interdisciplinary conference, and the letter addressed me as "part of the incoming cohort of graduate students," which I thought was really bizarre— firstly because I hadn't been notified of admission; secondly because it was written assuming I had accepted their offer; and thirdly, because it was basically asking me to fly across the country to attend a conference at a school that I wasn't even sure I'd been admitted to.

me too! Funny.

Also, waitlisted at Yale! Does anyone know how long the list is?

I have no idea about Yale's waitlist specifically, but I would definitely ask the DGS for some more information about how their waitlist works. One school I was waitlisted at has one waitlister for each subfield, and one has a general pool of waitlisted applicants that they reasses one by one in the event that any offers are turned down. In both cases, it doesn't really matter how long the waitlist is, but it could be that Yale just has a single, ranked waitlist.

(Speaking of Yale, I had a dream last night that I was accepted there. I haven't even applied. Gradcafe might really be driving me crazy.)

I received a similar email yesterday and was seriously confused. Then a few hours later I received an email that my application status had been updated and, lo and behold, it was! I'd give it till the end of the day. 

I figured it might just be a delay. Sometimes it's hard to remember the value of patience when you have an addiction to this website.  :)

That's strange. Was this for the MA program or the PhD? I applied to their MA program and got an email this morning directing me to check my status for the admission decision, which brought me to my acceptance letter. 

I got a weird email from them a couple weeks ago inviting me to an interdisciplinary conference, and the letter addressed me as "part of the incoming cohort of graduate students," which I thought was really bizarre— firstly because I hadn't been notified of admission; secondly because it was written assuming I had accepted their offer; and thirdly, because it was basically asking me to fly across the country to attend a conference at a school that I wasn't even sure I'd been admitted to.

PhD. And yeah, I got the interdisciplinary email shortly after the first one. 

Got accepted to Yale today, phone call from DGS. I'm early modern with a focus on Milton and Herbert.

I know I already congratulated you in person, "JeanCalvin," but let me do it once more on here. A very well deserved admission for a brilliant young scholar. Make us proud in New Haven! 

I know I already congratulated you in person, "JeanCalvin," but let me do it once more on here. A very well deserved admission for a brilliant young scholar. Make us proud in New Haven! 

And thank you, Petrus! All your help has been dearly appreciated. Congratulations on the Fordham acceptance! I know it won't be the last one.

Congrats on all the new acceptances! Always so many exciting and impressive things going on around here. :)

In the past couple days I've gotten accepted to MA programs at BU (unfunded) and NYU (50% funding). I applied to the PhD program at each of these schools, but the MA admits were an exciting surprise considering that I was beginning to count those implied rejections.

Actually, after thinking things over post app-submission, I've pretty well resolved to do an MA next year (I'm only 20, so I'm in no hurry -- in fact, I would appreciate the time to mentally "chew" on my interests and develop my skills as much as possible before delving into PhD). BU doesn't really look like an option with no funding available, but I'm eying the NYU option a little bit. Does anyone have any info about this program?

Hi friends! Long-time lurker here, who must congratulate all of you talented lit nerds! Seriously, I am so impressed by the acceptances on this thread, and feel that my applications pale in comparison.

I had to apply in-state for grad school (my fiance's practice cannot survive a move), so I only applied to three programs. My top choice is Boulder - they have a fantastic program. Today I received an early acceptance voice message from CU Denver (their application deadline is not until April 1), but the head of the department did not mention any specifics about my acceptance. She did say that a letter would be mailed out to me soon - is this where I would learn about funding/a TA acceptance? Also, because there is still sometime for applications to come in, do you think the department will wait to figure out funding once they have reviewed all applicants? I would love to hear everyone's thoughts!

Hi friends! Long-time lurker here, who must congratulate all of you talented lit nerds! Seriously, I am so impressed by the acceptances on this thread, and feel that my applications pale in comparison.

I had to apply in-state for grad school (my fiance's practice cannot survive a move), so I only applied to three programs. My top choice is Boulder - they have a fantastic program. Today I received an early acceptance voice message from CU Denver (their application deadline is not until April 1), but the head of the department did not mention any specifics about my acceptance. She did say that a letter would be mailed out to me soon - is this where I would learn about funding/a TA acceptance? Also, because there is still sometime for applications to come in, do you think the department will wait to figure out funding once they have reviewed all applicants? I would love to hear everyone's thoughts!

I'm a Boulder applicant as well!

With their deadline being one of the earliest (1 December), I would have expected to see some rustling in the bushes from Boulder, but it looks like no one's heard anything yet. 

There's been too many postings to even mention individuals, congrats everybody! All this GC success is really giving me hope.

I love those kind of admissions flukes though, where you get notifications in the wrong order. I remember in undergrad, I found out I got accepted to transfer to NYU because they sent me my web login info, I didn't get the acceptance for another day. It's anxiety-inducing, but in an exciting high-energy way, like when it's 2am and you're writing a paper that's just heating up. Or is that just me?

With their deadline being one of the earliest (1 December), I would have expected to see some rustling in the bushes from Boulder, but it looks like no one's heard anything yet. 

Speak of the devil, I guess... just got my notice in. Rejected from PhD, offered admission to MA. According to the email, nearly 200 applicants for 4 spots. Brutal... originally the site said 6 to 8 students, which admittedly isn't much better, but four... dang.

I love this location, and I have friends in the area, but it looks like funding for this MA isn't much of a sure thing.

I love those kind of admissions flukes though, where you get notifications in the wrong order. I remember in undergrad, I found out I got accepted to transfer to NYU because they sent me my web login info, I didn't get the acceptance for another day. It's anxiety-inducing, but in an exciting high-energy way, like when it's 2am and you're writing a paper that's just heating up. Or is that just me?

I love it when that happens as well! The graduate school sent me a form welcome email with so many grammar errors I thought it was spam. (Albeit spam with an official letterhead.) Gmail even sorted it into "Promotions." 

I didn't get the official email till the day after. It was fun because I thought Academia was some sort of unattainable ivory tower, and imperfection gave it some humanity. 

Speak of the devil, I guess... just got my notice in. Rejected from PhD, offered admission to MA. According to the email, nearly 200 applicants for 4 spots. Brutal... originally the site said 6 to 8 students, which admittedly isn't much better, but four... dang.

I love this location, and I have friends in the area, but it looks like funding for this MA isn't much of a sure thing.

Despite the relative success of GC folks this season, I really get the sense that Ph.D. acceptances are down overall. Hypervodka's spreadsheet will probably shed a bit more light on whether that hunch is correct.

But hey -- congrats on the M.A. acceptance! It may not be the best choice for you, but it is an acceptance!

Congratulations Silenus, and to all the other new admits! I check this thread quite often, I love to see all the good news. 

Despite the relative success of GC folks this season, I really get the sense that Ph.D. acceptances are down overall. Hypervodka's spreadsheet will probably shed a bit more light on whether that hunch is correct.

I will be very interested to see this too. None of my decisions told me anything about these numbers, so I'd love to see what's going on in the field. I spoke to one of my advisors yesterday who specifically mentioned a colleague at UMD talking about how numbers were down this year. 

I'm a Boulder applicant as well!

I applied for the MA, so I'm assuming these announcements will go out later than PHd acceptances? I'm crossing my fingers that you hear good news :)

Speak of the devil, I guess... just got my notice in. Rejected from PhD, offered admission to MA. According to the email, nearly 200 applicants for 4 spots. Brutal... originally the site said 6 to 8 students, which admittedly isn't much better, but four... dang.

Aggh, so sorry! What did they say about funding, if I may ask?

Aggh, so sorry! What did they say about funding, if I may ask?

Nothing to me, which I assume means it's not funded outright (i.e. not a fully funded offer). What funding info I do know is on the website: "Most MA and MFA candidates receive at least one semester of funding to work as teaching assistants." So I imagine there'd be room to get funding, but it looks like nothing's guaranteed out of the gate. I'm lucky to have offers elsewhere, though, so this isn't too much of a bummer, although Colorado would be great to live in.

Nothing to me, which I assume means it's not funded outright (i.e. not a fully funded offer). What funding info I do know is on the website: "Most MA and MFA candidates receive at least one semester of funding to work as teaching assistants." So I imagine there'd be room to get funding, but it looks like nothing's guaranteed out of the gate. I'm lucky to have offers elsewhere, though, so this isn't too much of a bummer, although Colorado would be great to live in.

Edit: sorry, just realized I repeated exactly what you posted. I'm brain-dead today

Edited by Cc1213

Holy crapoly - just got accepted at Harvard with a VERY generous package! AGH this is the weirdest moment of my life. Harvard AND Yale AND Berkeley??? I know, I know, I'm insanely lucky - but my mother never graduated high school! I've live on 7.00 an hour for the better part of my adult life! WHAT IS THIS INSANITY????

Holy crapoly - just got accepted at Harvard with a VERY generous package! AGH this is the weirdest moment of my life. Harvard AND Yale AND Berkeley??? I know, I know, I'm insanely lucky - but my mother never graduated high school! I've live on 7.00 an hour for the better part of my adult life! WHAT IS THIS INSANITY????

Truly amazing. Now perhaps one of the more difficult choices you'll ever have to make.  :D

That is AMAZING hreaðemus! A million congratulations! Good luck with your decision, but before you get to the hard part, take some time to enjoy what is truly an incredible accomplishment.