Fall 2015 Acceptances (!)

Congrats again to the amazing admits and to any I've missed -- truly impressive!  Rutgers, Harvard, Stanford, SC... really knocking them dead, guys.

I'm deciding between Brown, UChicago, Yale, UCLA, and Michigan (with a few more choices still pending)--perhaps there is a chance some of us will be classmates after all :))))

FWIW I'll be at UChicago next weekend visiting (so stoked)... if you're leaning towards Chicago there's a pretty solid chance we could be classmates/workshop comrades... :-) 

I'm eying the NYU option a little bit.

Same. I have three schools left to hear from, but if those don't pan out, NYC here I come. To be frank, I don't trust myself enough to say I would go anywhere else at this point.

Congratulations on the Rutgers admittances kurayamino and hypervodka! You're both amazing!  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  And hypervodka, huge congratulations on all your successful applications. Super impressive!

I'm normally a big fan of assuming that an "implied" rejection is just a regular old rejection--I've scoffed at those who say "wait until the paper's in your hand," etc etc etc. I squash my own hopes. Crush my own dreams. But I just got an email from a professor at a school I'd applied to, casually letting me know about this opportunity for extra study/funding I could take advantage of, were I to attend. It surprised me, since I'd assumed the school was an implied rejection when the acceptances went out a while ago and I didn't receive one. But nope--I write back to clarify, and turns out my notification emails must just never have been sent!

Congrats Kurayamino!

And Hypervodka...you can't say I didn't predict a clean sweep! I promise you, folks -- if you wanted to dig through old threads, I called it way back when she only had a mere two or three acceptances! :P

Great job, folks! I never get over the joy of seeing wonderful people get accepted to great programs. :)

Congrats Hypervodka on your very impressive clean sweep! I suspect you have not one, not two, but several very difficult decisions to make. That's a great place to be in though!

I'm normally a big fan of assuming that an "implied" rejection is just a regular old rejection--I've scoffed at those who say "wait until the paper's in your hand," etc etc etc. I squash my own hopes. Crush my own dreams. But I just got an email from a professor at a school I'd applied to, casually letting me know about this opportunity for extra study/funding I could take advantage of, were I to attend. It surprised me, since I'd assumed the school was an implied rejection when the acceptances went out a while ago and I didn't receive one. But nope--I write back to clarify, and turns out my notification emails must just never have been sent!

Congratulations!! I'm a fan of the implied rejection too, but Rutgers certainly taught me my own lesson. :)

Oh dear, I had a horrible time at work today so I have to say it really is uplifting to see all of the wonderful news on this board - definitely has brightened what had been an abysmal day! Congrats everyone! So very, very happy for you and could not think of a more deserving, generous group of people! 

So as someone who days ago had steeled herself for another round of applications, it is with great pleasure I can say what a difference a few days makes. So far I've been offered MA slots at UVA, Boston U, and University of South Carolina. While the first two were unfunded and sent me into a fury of Scotch sipping and accounting tape, USC offered me very generous funding for their MA (50% tuition abatement year one, 100% year 2, and generous stipends for both years PLUS I GET TO TEACH IN YEAR TWO YAAAASSSSS).

Honestly, I think I've learned a lesson in being humble. I applied to USC as my complete and utter everything-has-gone-to-shit backup (which is extra ridiculous because they are ranked #77 and have a great reputation). I was so grateful to get that e-mail and know that I don't have to sit out another year AND I won't have to be in debt $100k or $64k respectively for UVA or BU. More than that, now that the worry of finances is gone, I can see what an honor it was to get offered MA slots from UVA and BU. Yeah, it is somewhat a "consolation" and the lack of funding gives me sad face, but as someone coming from a generally unheard of SLAC with a 4 year gap in my undergrad career and a writing sample I now realize could've been stronger, I am impressed that my application was given such consideration.

I'm now hoping that an MA at USC will further prove my track record in academia, prove I can cut my own at graduate-level work, and polish my skills up enough so that when the time comes for me to apply to PhD programs UVA, BU, and (god willing) a few others will offer me that golden ticket.

Congrats to everyone and any Uni of South Carolina peeps hit me up~*

P.S. Lesson to the kiddies - don't let something like a desire to get out in the world let you demean the value of local programs. Seriously.

So as someone who days ago had steeled herself for another round of applications, it is with great pleasure I can say what a difference a few days makes. So far I've been offered MA slots at UVA, Boston U, and University of South Carolina. While the first two were unfunded and sent me into a fury of Scotch sipping and accounting tape, USC offered me very generous funding for their MA (50% tuition abatement year one, 100% year 2, and generous stipends for both years PLUS I GET TO TEACH IN YEAR TWO YAAAASSSSS).

Honestly, I think I've learned a lesson in being humble. I applied to USC as my complete and utter everything-has-gone-to-shit backup (which is extra ridiculous because they are ranked #77 and have a great reputation). I was so grateful to get that e-mail and know that I don't have to sit out another year AND I won't have to be in debt $100k or $64k respectively for UVA or BU. More than that, now that the worry of finances is gone, I can see what an honor it was to get offered MA slots from UVA and BU. Yeah, it is somewhat a "consolation" and the lack of funding gives me sad face, but as someone coming from a generally unheard of SLAC with a 4 year gap in my undergrad career and a writing sample I now realize could've been stronger, I am impressed that my application was given such consideration.

I'm now hoping that an MA at USC will further prove my track record in academia, prove I can cut my own at graduate-level work, and polish my skills up enough so that when the time comes for me to apply to PhD programs UVA, BU, and (god willing) a few others will offer me that golden ticket.

Congrats to everyone and any Uni of South Carolina peeps hit me up~*

P.S. Lesson to the kiddies - don't let something like a desire to get out in the world let you demean the value of local programs. Seriously.

Congrats! And I think South Carolina does really well placing their people in PhD programs, don't they? I at least know three medievalists who did MAs there who are in great PhD programs now.

Congrats! And I think South Carolina does really well placing their people in PhD programs, don't they? I at least know three medievalists who did MAs there who are in great PhD programs now.

That's what I want to hear!! I didn't bother applying to Notre Dame or Toronto this cycle, I knew I wasn't trying enough to competitively vie for those coveted spots. But maybe after some focused hard work!

That's what I want to hear!! I didn't bother applying to Notre Dame or Toronto this cycle, I knew I wasn't trying enough to competitively vie for those coveted spots. But maybe after some focused hard work!

Oh, hey, wow another Anglo-Saxonist--hello! I know you've been posting; did I just completely miss you're an OE person? We (and hreaðemus and hannalore) should chat!

I was just at ND's interview weekend for the Medieval Institute, and one of the grad students in Old English there was a South Carolina MA, in fact! And working with Gwara--you're a lucky duck.

ETA: and another had come straight from USC undergrad, so that's a transition that happens--there's a USC-ND pipeline! :P

Edited by unræd

Oh, hey, wow another Anglo-Saxonist--hello! I know you've been posting; did I just completely miss you're an OE person? We (and hreaðemus and hannalore) should chat!

I was just at ND's interview weekend for the Medieval Institute, and one of the grad students in Old English there was a South Carolina MA, in fact! And working with Gwara--you're a lucky duck.

Hello!! Yes, it's me! But, watching yours, hannalore's and hreathmus' (sorry for the intentional typo, I'm on my phone, and that's the closest it'll give me!) credentials, I felt I wasn't I the same league. (Hence my holding out on ND and Toronto.^^) I am very excited to {hopefully?!?} work with Dr. Gwara, he was my first contact at USC, and my reason for choosing them. His studies are closely allied to where I want to go (philological), and he's followed the trajectory I hope to, institution-wise. He said there is another Medievalist there, as well, a Holly Crocker? Her line wasn't as closely aligned, but...it have me excitement to get to work, that I could be working on real and relevant research, with colleagues who are there!

This is VERY encouraging, thank you so much for your encouragment, really. Though I've wanted this for so long, and have been working towards it, some days I still feel that "I'm SO behind my peers!" feeling. And, as small as our specialization is within the English realms, it's nice to hear kind encouragement, rather than the converse.^^

How was the ND visit? that's right near my hometown, relatively speaking (I was a bit south and easy of South Bend).^^ Beautiful area, and I've grown up all my life hearing its accolades.^^ I've never stepped foot on campus, if you can believe it, but I studied for a time at Oxford, and...I imagine that kind of feeling: the intoxicating sense of having, literally, vast amounts of resources and ancient manuscripts at your fingertips.

ETA: I guess I listed on my profile my interest in OE, but It doesn't show on my posts. My fault. Still. I've a long way to go!^^

Edited by angel_kaye13

Hello!! Yes, it's me! But, watching yours, hannalore's and hreathmus' (sorry for the intentional typo, I'm on my phone, and that's the closest it'll give me!) credentials, I felt I wasn't I the same league. (Hence my holding out on ND and Toronto.^^) I am very excited to {hopefully?!?} work with Dr. Gwara, he was my first contact at USC, and my reason for choosing them. His studies are closely allied to where I want to go (philological), and he's followed the trajectory I hope to, institution-wise. He said there is another Medievalist there, as well, a Holly Crocker? Her line wasn't as closely aligned, but...it have me excitement to get to work, that I could be working on real and relevant research, with colleagues who are there!

This is VERY encouraging, thank you so much for your encouragment, really. Though I've wanted this for so long, and have been working towards it, some days I still feel that "I'm SO behind my peers!" feeling. And, as small as our specialization is within the English realms, it's nice to hear kind encouragement, rather than the converse.^^

How was the ND visit? that's right near my hometown, relatively speaking (I was a bit south and easy of South Bend).^^ Beautiful area, and I've grown up all my life hearing its accolades.^^ I've never stepped foot on campus, if you can believe it, but I studied for a time at Oxford, and...I imagine that kind of feeling: the intoxicating sense of having, literally, vast amounts of resources and ancient manuscripts at your fingertips.

ETA: I guess I listed on my profile my interest in OE, but It doesn't show on my posts. My fault. Still. I've a long way to go!^^

In re "felt I wasn't in the same league" and "SO behind my peers": forgive my language, but that's horsepoo. Everybody's got strengths, everybody's got weaknesses, everybody's got different experiences and backgrounds that shape them and their scholarship. You're a peer, period!

The ND visit was sort of amazing--the program is just as rigorous/intense/interdisciplinary/cool as you'd imagine (or more so, even!), but the community was extraordinarily warm, welcoming, and supportive (of each other, and the interviewees), and the OE grad students there (both at the MI, and in the English dept) are doing some really, really cool work. And yes: coming from a state school background myself, the sheer amount of financial resources available to fund research there is jaw-dropping. It felt like very other meeting was some (delightful) variation of "let me tell you about all the money I get for my students"!

Edited by unræd

Oh wow angel_kaye, you are saying exactly the same stuff I've been saying about where I am in my studies, and how I compare to the other Anglo-Saxonists around here...it's kind of uneal! We in English studies are so neurotic, aren't we @_@! 

The program down at USC sounds amazing! I'm upstate in Clemson for my MA, and I know we all have quite a bit of respect for the work going on down there. Even if you feel behind now, you're going to have so much fun nailing down your research interests with the help of the professors down there, I wouldn't worry at all. At least, that's what I keep telling myself about my own anxieties. If we already knew exactly what we were going to be doing and researching 100%, we wouldn't need the help and resources being offered at these programs!

Edited by Hannalore