Fall 2015 Acceptances (!)

So yes, a little more transparency in that regard would be nice. It would, of course, mean fewer applicants, which consequently means fewer application fees. Multiply a loss of say, fifty applications across thirty or forty graduate programs, and you start to get into six-figure territory. Presumably more than just a drop in the bucket. I don't want to lay blame at the feet of the almighty dollar, as there are certainly other factors...yet the fact that virtually no graduate admissions process has any sort of transparency is telling.

True, it does mean a potential loss for them, but I'm more sympathetic to the grad student hopefulls who shell out 80, 90, and sometimes 100 bucks to supposedly have an application reviewed when the committee has almost no intention of reviewing that application. It costs me nothing to apply to a job, but $100 application fee, for a student or underemployed person, is a loss of several hours' wages. I know that English departments are strapped--and I also recognize that admissions committees have the power to make decisions for whatever arbitrary reason that suits them on any particular day--but I think it's somewhat fraudulent to pass down the costs to a class of people that are even more marginalized. Anyway, I'll stop pontificating now. My point in ringing in here was just to help people see that rejections have nothing to do with your potential as a scholar because this process is a big black box.

I was rejected from an overwhelming majority of programs I applied to--and twice from some of my favorite programs--and I still went on to do okay.

OK, calling out the Michigan comp lit admit!! Where are you, you lucky duck?! 

Congratulations whoever you are! :D  Their programme sounds absolutely amazing and obviously I'm not even remotely jealous :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

I also totally did not expect them to have their acceptances ready, but hey ho, it wasn't like I wasn't feeling nervous already.

Hi all - I just wanted to introduce myself. I *just* discovered this site a few days ago and have been lurking. I sure wish I would have known about you all months ago! I'm hoping to begin a PhD program in Rhet/Comp the Fall 2015 term and applied to 14 programs. Like many of you, I haven't heard anything yet, and it's driving me crazy. 

Hi all - I just wanted to introduce myself. I *just* discovered this site a few days ago and have been lurking. I sure wish I would have known about you all months ago! I'm hoping to begin a PhD program in Rhet/Comp the Fall 2015 term and applied to 14 programs. Like many of you, I haven't heard anything yet, and it's driving me crazy. 

Welcome, Obrial! Glad to have you here to share the roller-coaster ride that is graduate admissions!

Welcome obrial42!

Hi all - I've been lurking here for awhile but have appreciated the warmth and general conviviality of this board. Anyway, I thought I'd chime in to claim one of the Northwestern acceptances. I was pretty much speechless after I got the phone call and am still pinching myself. 

Hi all - I've been lurking here for awhile but have appreciated the warmth and general conviviality of this board. Anyway, I thought I'd chime in to claim one of the Northwestern acceptances. I was pretty much speechless after I got the phone call and am still pinching myself. 

Congrats on Northwestern, lunalit! That's amazing. 

Way to go!!

Welcome lunalit, and huge congratulations to you and all the other Northwestern admits!!! :D 

On 2/1/2015 at 10:16 PM, lunalit said:

Welcome and congrats lunalit! I'm new to posting too, and I agree that this is a wonderfully supportive place. :)

Hi folks,

Long time lurker, extremely infrequent poster. I was fortunate enough to receive my first acceptance this weekend from PSU, and I recalled that a little bit ago, somebody posted a really great, long list of important questions to ask when visiting programs (eg. Whether funding covers the summer, how current grad students like the program, resources, libraries, etc.). I have been trying to find it, but haven't had much success. Does anyone remember where that was, or could someone possibly repost it?

Congrats to the other admits, and good luck to those who are still waiting!

Edited by circlewave

Hi folks,

Long time lurker, extremely infrequent poster. I was fortunate enough to receive my first acceptance this weekend from PSU, and I recalled that a little bit ago, somebody posted a really great, long list of important questions to ask when visiting programs (eg. Whether funding covers the summer, how current grad students like the program, resources, libraries, etc.). I have been trying to find it, but haven't had much success. Does anyone remember where that was, or could someone possibly repost it?

Congrats on the PSU acceptance!

The post you are referring to

Hi folks,

Awesome to hear you've been accepted to PSU! Congrats  :)

I am indeed. :) Good luck at all of your choices! If Clemson is the lucky school that gets you then I am sure you will enjoy it; everyone I know doing RCID is thrilled with it.

Clemson is my first choice. I would be delighted if they accept me. I've heard such great things about the RCID program.