Fall 2015 Acceptances (!)

Hi all! I've been lurking on the forums since application season/haven't really dived into the community yet, but I figured now that it's officially February (!!!!) I'll need the therapy of this group to get through all the stress. So far I've heard nothing from most of my schools (which probably means a rejection from Chicago), but I received an offer from Northwestern today after spending the last few days in a results-board-induced-despair.

Thanks, WT, for that incredibly helpful link. Does anyone have any insight on visiting weekends? Do schools usually fund your travel or is it more of an out-of-pocket thing?

Good luck to everyone still waiting, and congrats on these great acceptances!

Shout out to the person who got the U Minnesota English PhD acceptance!

Thanks bookworm! Was just about to post here. I got a very nice call from Katherine Scheil this morning, followed up by an email with funding/visiting info. I don't know if anyone else has heard from them yet(?), but based on last year's results they'll likely send out acceptances sometime this week. I was nominated for an amazing first-year fellowship(!!), so I might have been notified a little early because of that... 

Hi all! I've been lurking on the forums since application season/haven't really dived into the community yet, but I figured now that it's officially February (!!!!) I'll need the therapy of this group to get through all the stress. So far I've heard nothing from most of my schools (which probably means a rejection from Chicago), but I received an offer from Northwestern today after spending the last few days in a results-board-induced-despair.

Thanks, WT, for that incredibly helpful link. Does anyone have any insight on visiting weekends? Do schools usually fund your travel or is it more of an out-of-pocket thing?

Good luck to everyone still waiting, and congrats on these great acceptances!

Kudos, Margery!! Regardless of any other acceptances you may receive, Northwestern is a very strong option. Congrats!

Thanks bookworm! Was just about to post here. I got a very nice call from Katherine Scheil this morning, followed up by an email with funding/visiting info. I don't know if anyone else has heard from them yet(?), but based on last year's results they'll likely send out acceptances sometime this week. I was nominated for an amazing first-year fellowship(!!), so I might have been notified a little early because of that... 

That's awesome, lo.lee.ta. I applied so hopefully I'll hear soon. Fingers crossed!

Congratulations! I grew up near the University of Minnesota and really love the area and the school. If you ever have any questions about the Twin Cities or the U of M, feel free to PM me.

Congratulations! I grew up near the University of Minnesota and really love the area and the school. If you ever have any questions about the Twin Cities or the U of M, feel free to PM me.

Thanks Lycidas. I know nothing about the area or school (other than what I learned in researching grad programs), so I may take you up on that!

I know we've talked a little about being more descriptive in order Results postings... would it be helpful if we tag our posts with our usernames or something, so that people will just be able to go to that user's profile and get more detail about their qualifications as an applicant? Is that even allowed?

(I'm day-drinking.)

Congrats to all the recent acceptees! And welcome newcomers. :)

Re: visiting funding, I've heard of a few programs doing this, so I don't think it hurts to ask if there is any assistance to travel to the admitted students event (if they have one). The program where I ws accepted provides hotel, but no flight. I know some other schools that provide a set stipend to use toward flight, hotel, etc., but I imagine there is a lot of variation on this front.

Edit: Thanks for the link, WT! Very useful (and thanks to the poster who requested it!).

Edited by In hac spe vivo.

Congrats, lo.lee.ta! I, too, grew up in Minneapolis, and I did my undergrad at the U. Happy to answer any questions you might have, too.

Congrats!  Also, I'm in the Ph.D. program at the University of Minnesota and happy to answer questions about the program.  You'll be contacted by someone in your subfield soon, too.

On visiting weekends: Most programs partially or fully fund the visiting weekend, so definitely ask about funding options.  

Sorry to be so behind, life's been so crazy-busy lately!!*^^* A nice reprieve from the mindless checking of GC and email, though.^^

Anyway! Congrats to the next round of admits, we are all so very happy for you!!! Many, many felicitations your respective ways, woohoo!!!*^^*

OMFG!! UCSB just emailed!!! I've been accepted and nominated for a first-year fellowship! This day CANNOT get any better!! I hope you're all having a great night...I sincerely hope this week brings tons and tons of good news for everyone!!

OMFG!! UCSB just emailed!!! I've been accepted and nominated for a first-year fellowship! This day CANNOT get any better!! I hope you're all having a great night...I sincerely hope this week brings tons and tons of good news for everyone!!

Congratulations! Just goes to show that news can come at any time of day/night. Wonderful!

Congrats!!!  Who's your POI at UCSB?

Congrats!!!  Who's your POI at UCSB?

Childermass, the email was from Teresa Shewry. I'm also really excited about working with Bishnupriya Ghosh and Russell Samolsky.

I also just remembered that you had posted a vague email a couple days ago about being informally accepted to a West Coast school...and now I'm worried it was UCSB and I broke the rules of Grad Cafe/UCSB by posting too early...and that now I'll be rejected from both. :( Feel free to PM me!

Childermass, the email was from Teresa Shewry. I'm also really excited about working with Bishnupriya Ghosh and Russell Samolsky.

I also just remembered that you had posted a vague email a couple days ago about being informally accepted to a West Coast school...and now I'm worried it was UCSB and I broke the rules of Grad Cafe/UCSB by posting too early...and that now I'll be rejected from both. :( Feel free to PM me!

Haha. Oh I doubt you broke any rules. I was just being diplomatic/cautious!  I think people have posted their acceptances under similar circumstances.

Childermass, okay, good to know. Between caution/diplomacy or spontaneous public freak out, I will ALWAYS choose the latter... :) Who is your POI, if you don't mind me asking? (And, really, feel free not to tell me or to PM me if you're not ready to share. No worries!)