MFA Photography 2015

markeet

me too, but based on past year results - assuming rejection at this point. :\ I think we would have received an interview phone call already...

So unfortunate, according to the admission results from last year we should hear a response within the next couple of days.

Hi! I got an email from Matthew Connors today. It said he would like to find a time to talk over my application via Skype (I am international applicant). Sort of anxious now, don't know what will we talk about. Did anyone get email from Massart as well?

some people already interviewed in February, I will guess that he want to talk about the post-bac option to you.

Hi! I got an email from Matthew Connors today. It said he would like to find a time to talk over my application via Skype (I am international applicant). Sort of anxious now, don't know what will we talk about. Did anyone get email from Massart as well?

I interviewed with them at the end of Feb, waiting to hear back.

RISD photo acceptance - anyone also hear back??

Congrats! I heard back for RISD today as well, and was put on the wait list. 

I saw you also have an interview with MICA, I do as well. Did you already have yours or receive confirmation on the day/time? I responded with my availability but have not heard back yet. If you already had your interview how did it go? Anything out of the ordinary? 

Congrats! I heard back for RISD today as well, and was put on the wait list.

I saw you also have an interview with MICA, I do as well. Did you already have yours or receive confirmation on the day/time? I responded with my availability but have not heard back yet. If you already had your interview how did it go? Anything out of the ordinary?

I also responded quickly, and no word from them. Which makes me a tad nervous because I asked to skype with them early tomorrow afternoon...

I also responded quickly, and no word from them. Which makes me a tad nervous because I asked to skype with them early tomorrow afternoon...

Tim confirmed my interview for Monday - got an email from him last night. Did you hear back?

Tim confirmed my interview for Monday - got an email from him last night. Did you hear back?

I did, and we're having a difficult time getting our schedules to coincide, since I'll be on the road Sunday and Monday.

Thanks. I saw the "accepted students" tab a few days ago, and now the decision letter is also available at the admission hub.

Cool! Thanks for sharing. 

35% scholarship offer!

RISD photo acceptance - anyone also hear back??

Hi, I have two questions:

1. Anyone who are accepted by RISD: Did you get an interview before? Got any merit-based scholarship?

2. Anyone who are accepted by SVA/ Parsons/ Pratt:  Got any scholarship? If yes, how much is it?

Thank you all.

For me, any amount of scholarship would be satisfactory...   Have you decided on one school yet? The three-year program in SVA really will cost a lot.

Yeah, SVA will probably be turned down for financial reasons. If I don't hear back from RIT, it comes down to either Pratt or Parsons but I don't know much about them. (Thoughts anyone?) I'm having slight regrets about not applying to programs with better funding, which I only knew about after the deadlines. 

Yeah, SVA will probably be turned down for financial reasons. If I don't hear back from RIT, it comes down to either Pratt or Parsons but I don't know much about them. (Thoughts anyone?) I'm having slight regrets about not applying to programs with better funding, which I only knew about after the deadlines. 

My personal opinion, both Parsons and Pratt have lame photo MFAs. If those were my only two choices, particularly with low funding, I would wait and apply again next year. I know a lot of Pratt people, and I went to Parsons for undergrad, and am personally not impressed with either of these grad programs. The Parsons photo MFA in particular is a joke. Parsons has an okay mfa in Fine Arts, but the photo program is completely separate and not a part of that program in any way. Not sure exactly what type of work you do, or what kind of program you are looking for, but I wouldn't recommend anyone go into debt for either of those programs. 

My personal opinion, both Parsons and Pratt have lame photo MFAs. If those were my only two choices, particularly with low funding, I would wait and apply again next year. I know a lot of Pratt people, and I went to Parsons for undergrad, and am personally not impressed with either of these grad programs. The Parsons photo MFA in particular is a joke. Parsons has an okay mfa in Fine Arts, but the photo program is completely separate and not a part of that program in any way. Not sure exactly what type of work you do, or what kind of program you are looking for, but I wouldn't recommend anyone go into debt for either of those programs. 

Thanks sharing the info!  Do you have some specific opinion on Pratt and SVA MFA Photo?

It's said that Columbia U has great funding but low acceptance rate. What else have you heard about that have abundant funding?

Can you give any more information on the Parsons Photo MFA? I'm trying to decide between Parsons and SVA, and have a feeling Parsons won't be quite as stimulating as I want... the curriculum seems a little too loose and the program too reliant on really awesome facilities. What in particular makes it weak? 

I liked the faculty I've met with quite a bit, but there's something about it that makes me think I would be disappointed considering where I'm at and what I want. 

Pratt is not good for photo. It's great for just about everything else, but NOT photo.

I visited in the fall and had a tour, and when we got to the photo facilities I was told that all the resources were for undergrads. The room for MFA photo was sad, too: just a small room with a table in the middle. You do get your own darkroom if you want, but for how much tuition is, you're not getting your money's worth at all.

I asked if they had any flash kits to check out and the answer I got was "Maybe one? People usually have their own stuff at this point in their careers."

Yeah, I don't have $13000 worth of lighting equipment.

I also spoke with one of the current photo grads and she told me to go somewhere else for photo. She looked really unhappy.

They offered me 15k in scholarships, but it's not nearly enough. If you have to take out loans for school, I say hold off and apply again next year. Going into debt for an MFA is seriously not worth it, and you can spend the next year finding schools with better funding to apply to.

Does anyone know anything about SMFA's reputation with photography?  I was accepted there with a half tuition scholarship, and also accepted to Lesley.  Assuming I've been rejected from MassArt because they called with acceptances on Friday and I didn't hear anything.  

I know that SMFA is incredibly interdisciplinary, and I like the idea of being mixed in with artists in other mediums.  But I don't know much about their actual photography resources and faculty on a grad level.  When I toured their campus the photo labs seemed to be lacking.  They had large Epson printers, but the only monitors they had were iMacs, and I didn't see any film scanners besides flatbeds.  Anyone have any input on the facilities or grad faculty?  

Also curious about Lesley.  It's a super young program but they have some great looking faculty, and their new arts building is pretty amazing looking.