Starter Kit for new and rusty MA Students?

nini312

I have been out of school for almost 5 years now, and returning to get my Masters in Organizational Behavior, but I just realized I may be a bit rusty.

Things like how to write a paper, or what do students these days use to take notes (laptops, notebooks?), etc. I know the questions sound a bit amateur, but it's been so long that I find myself scrutinizing over these details.

So I guess my question is- what is a good starter kit for study materials and grad school life guides that I should be looking into? Perhaps that is what Orientation Day is all about?

Hey nini312,

I'm an undergrad going on to get my PhD in the Fall, so I haven't been out of the schooling system yet and hope my tidbit of advice helps.

1) I usually use either a paper-filled binder or a laptop for notes. You will probably find a mix of note taking preferences in the classroom. Whatever works best for you, really. Obviously, make sure the prof isn't offended that you have a laptop with you in class (I'm sure most will be fine with it). I, personally, have never asked permission to bring one in but will be wary in grad school, just in case. I would switch back and forth between hand-written notes and typed notes and print out my typed notes if I didn't feel like staring at my computer screen to review them. Some of my profs made their Powerpoint presentations available online, so I would save them to my computer and take notes in the "notes" section of the slide while they lectured. Sometimes I would print out the small slides and take notes on that paper. Currently I use an HP Pavilion laptop, which I like very much...but obviously there are a whole host of great brands available.

2) If you really NEED perfect notes, then bring a mini voice recorder with you, or record the lecture using your laptop. Again, check to see if the prof is o.k. with you recording the lecture.

3) Since your program will likely involve a lot of reading, I will put this link down:

http://gradschool.about.com/od/readingt ... tegies.htm

It's an "About" page for grad school and has a host of tips for successful graduate reading strategies. Haven't used them, yet (since I haven't started yet), but I bookmarked this page, just in case. This website may also recommend some grad school survival guides.

4) Book buying: You can rely on your campus bookstore, but I prefer to buy textbooks online for three reasons...1) Saves money, 2)Saves money, and 3)Saves money. Seriously though, if can get a hold of a book list ahead of time, use Amazon, Half.com, Ebay...whatever you prefer, to buy cheaper textbooks. Then you can resell your books on the same website, if you like. Once I even made $10.00 on a book, which is something, I suspect, won't happen again...haha.

Ok, I that's all I can think of right now that follows the questions you listed. Good luck and have fun! I considered Industrial-Organization Psychology for a while, so your program sounds very interesting to me :D

I'm not sure how well it would work for business, but the book 'Graduate Study for the 21st Century' by Gregory Colon Semeza is great. Geared towards the humanities, but it has a lot of good advice about negotiating requirements, prioritizing important work, writing papers, etc. It's also written in a very spirited tone that always energizes me.

If you haven't already done so, read every scrap of information on your department's website, and on the grad studies website for your school. Make sure you know the requirements, the support systems, the various sources of funding, and the time limits.

Otherwise, just take good care of yourself and keep your eyes open when you get there. Most things that are important will likely be 'unknown unknowns', things you can't predict yet. Every school, every program, every cohort is different. Laptops are the norm in many places, but using one was a huge faux pas in my MA program. Just come in aware and ready to adapt, and you'll be fine.

Thanks folks, I am getting very anxious now to get started! Hard part is finding housing now, after being waitlisted for so long I am a bit late on the whole game.

As for the links and book recommendations, I am grateful for it.

Cheers!

Ann

I'm supposed to be doing the housing thing now as well...would help if hubby would quit changing his mind about whether we should rent/buy!

Hey again,

Just another thought...I just ordered a Grad School guide online and thought I would mention it. It's called "Getting What You Came For: The Smart Student's Guide to Earning an M.A. or a Ph.D."

http://www.amazon.com/Getting-What-You- ... 228&sr=1-1

It got rave reviews on Amazon and someone recommended it on another grad school forum I was on, so I'm going to give it a shot.

Good luck!

~kh1264

Hey again,

Just another thought...I just ordered a Grad School guide online and thought I would mention it. It's called "Getting What You Came For: The Smart Student's Guide to Earning an M.A. or a Ph.D."

http://www.amazon.com/Getting-What-You- ... 228&sr=1-1

It got rave reviews on Amazon and someone recommended it on another grad school forum I was on, so I'm going to give it a shot.

Good luck!

~kh1264

Excellent recommendation--I'm just starting the application process and have already found the book to be worth the price and then some.