Trade-off Between Math/Stat GPA and Overall GPA for Biostatistics PhD

Bespoke

Hello,

I was wondering as to the extent to which Math/Stat GPAs can offset Overall GPAs, and vice versa--that is, the trade-off between the two in admissions. 

For example, I am looking to apply to Biostatistic PhD programs; I graduated from undergraduate a few years ago.

My Math/Stat GPA between my completed undergraduate record (alma mater should be considered reasonably rigorous; average old SAT score for entering students was in the mid-1400s) and courses I have taken since then as a non-degree student is around ~3.7-3.8, depending on how you weight the credits and what you count as math/stat courses (although I have taken the Calculus Sequence, Probability Theory, Linear Algebra, Mathematical Statistics--so those at the very least).

However, my overall undergraduate GPA was around ~3.5. 

Edited by Bespoke

Well, having your higher grades be in math courses in certainly better than the alternative!

Depending on the school you attended and what your letters look like (as well as your actual grades in those math courses), you *could* be competitive for some top 5 programs, but if the details don't work in your favor then you might have a tough time cracking the top 10.