Applying for Neuroscience/Neurobiology Ph.D. programs for Fall 2015

NWFreeheel11

Howdy people! Got in on the grad-cafe game kind of late, but I'm wondering/worrying about the rest of my interviews. 

Undergrad Institution: Ivy

Major(s): BA - Neurobiology
Minor(s): n/a
GPA in Major: ~3.7
Overall GPA: 3.74
Position in Class: No class rank given
Type of Student: Domestic male

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 162 - 83%
V: 170 - 99%
W: 6.0 - 99% 

Research Experience:

6 months in a supervised research course, but got to do 2-photon imaging: undergrad

1 year honors thesis in undergrad lab, behavioral pharmacology

2 years lab tech in Europe, I started my own project from scratch so I haven't published, but should get a first author out by the time I enroll someplace. 

Awards/Honors/Recognitions:

Graduated cum laude

$7k grant for study abroad, not sure if it counts

~$5k grant for thesis research over the summer, not sure if counts

Pertinent Activities or Jobs:

Current lab tech position

Applying to Where:
Harvard: Neuro, MCO

Yale: Neuro

Columbia: Neurobiology and Behavior

Rockefeller: Neuro

UCSD: Neuro

Stanford: Neuro

UCSF: Neuro

Berkeley: Neuro

Got interviews from Harvard, Berkeley, and Columbia so far. 

Congrats/good luck to everyone!

Edited by tetrodotoxin

Hi everyone... i'm applying to US universities for neuroscience phd 

Let me introduce myself.

Undergrad Institution: UK top 10 (non Oxbridge)

BSc in physics, additional credits from MPhys medical physics

grade : 2:1 ... which is sth like 3.3 GPA

Master of Research in molecular biophysics (London) 

Type of Student: international student

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 160

V: 155
W: 4.0

Research Experience:

A lot of different things during 7 years.

3 years, nanotechnology / nanomaterials sensors / scaffolds for stem cells using CNT

2 years, mathematical models, analysis (varing from pure mathematics (multi-d networks) to applications and experimental design)

2 years of biochemistry labs and computational research on prions

Awards/Honors/Recognitions:

Funding research positions throughout my studies (probably the reason i didn't care that much about my "official performance")

additional funding for my own research project ( Oxbridge ), several awards for performance in maths competition 

Pertinent Activities or Jobs:

7 years of tutoring of undergrad students, 2 years being maths trainer for IMO

participation in many different projects from all around the university (from space engineering to psychology) ( multidisciplinary research is kinda my thing)

Applying to Where:

BostonU -- comp neuroscience

UMass -- neuroscience

UCSD -- comp neuroscience

Brown -- neuroscience

UCLA -- neuroscience

JHU -- neuroscience

I'm not happy about my GREs and generally i know that my grades are not as high as they should had been but i am confident about knowing my way around research and particularly interdisciplinary projects.

still no news from any of them... here's hoping 

Best of luck to everyone!

I just logged in and saw that several applicants to NYU Sackler/Neuroscience received notification about interviews a couple of days ago.  Is it safe to assume that I will not be receiving an interview?  Or are there typically more than one "round" of notifications?

All right everyone, while we're waiting.. I'd like to talk about clothes! The real question... suit or no suit? Some schools have specified no suit but others have not mentioned attire. I have heard from previous applicants that suits are the norm if the school doesn't mention what you should wear. What do you all think?

Edited by Sarahlheath

All right everyone, while we're waiting.. I'd like to talk about clothes! The real question... suit or no suit? Some schools have specified no suit but others have not mentioned attire. I have heard from previous applicants that suits are the norm if the school doesn't mention what you should wear. What do you all think?

I think someone should make a spreadsheet. That's what I think.

Like, gradcafe should have a post-interview poll where attire standard, number of interviews, presence/absence of a social activity, presence/absence of a city tour, and admittance/rejection are collected for each school a user interviews at. Maybe different categories than those that I mentioned, but the idea would be cool.

I do not plan on wearing a suit. I will wear a blouse and dress pants, and I might consider a blazer, but no full suit for me.

I've heard from previous applicants that asking about attire is the norm if the school doesn't mention what you should wear. I've asked everywhere that I'm interviewing and the answer has always been business casual. One contact even said, "I don't know why people show up looking like bank tellers. We don't want bank tellers, we want students...who look like students. Wear your normal clothes."

I'd like to talk about clothes for the non-interview days, if that's something you're open to. I was planning on nice sweaters (sweaters that I already own) with dark, "nice" jeans or slacks, and weather-appropriate shoes. What do you think?

Like, gradcafe should have a post-interview poll where attire standard, number of interviews, presence/absence of a social activity, presence/absence of a city tour, and admittance/rejection are collected for each school a user interviews at. Maybe different categories than those that I mentioned, but the idea would be cool.

I do not plan on wearing a suit. I will wear a blouse and dress pants, and I might consider a blazer, but no full suit for me.

I've heard from previous applicants that asking about attire is the norm if the school doesn't mention what you should wear. I've asked everywhere that I'm interviewing and the answer has always been business casual. One contact even said, "I don't know why people show up looking like bank tellers. We don't want bank tellers, we want students...who look like students. Wear your normal clothes."

I'd like to talk about clothes for the non-interview days, if that's something you're open to. I was planning on nice sweaters (sweaters that I already own) with dark, "nice" jeans or slacks, and weather-appropriate shoes. What do you think?

I like the idea regarding the spread sheet.

I'm planning on wearing a nice (but conservative) dress with leggings and boots. Either that or a full length skirt with a nice blouse. I don't have dress pants and I'm not going to get a pair to use for only one day...

I really have no idea what I'm supposed to wear. My POI said that the point of the recruitment day/interviews is to determine fit with faculty and if I really want to be part of this program. It's not a test. I'll wait until I get the official invite (hopefully will get it in January) to figure out attire.

I saw both when I did interviews, I don't think it matters too much as long as you're comfortable with what you're wearing. If you're not used to wearing suits and you're awkward, don't do it. If, however, you don't feel like you'll take it seriously if you aren't wearing a suit by all means wear a suit.

On the non interview days yeah I was planning on basically the same, slacks or jeans and either a blouse or a cami and a casual blazer. And at night for the bars definitely jeans, probably with boots. Also we have to keep in mind (at least on the east coast) that we're probably going to have a coat on the majority of the time anyways, especially when touring the schools outdoors. 

On the non interview days yeah I was planning on basically the same, slacks or jeans and either a blouse or a cami and a casual blazer. And at night for the bars definitely jeans, probably with boots. Also we have to keep in mind (at least on the east coast) that we're probably going to have a coat on the majority of the time anyways, especially when touring the schools outdoors. 

I really have no idea what to pack for my interview as my interview is on Februrary and it is in Connecticut.. I go to a school in the south and I really have no experience with the snow . Could you please suggest me what to pack for the interview? I would be really thankful :)

I really have no idea what to pack for my interview as my interview is on Februrary and it is in Connecticut.. I go to a school in the south and I really have no experience with the snow . Could you please suggest me what to pack for the interview? I would be really thankful :)

I have the same question!!!

Also, I would like to add a follow-up question about outdoor vs. indoor wear. 

Happy New Year to you future neuro PhD prospectees! Congrats to those who have been called for interviews. To a New Year filled with possibilities for career advancement and hope for an acceptance letter to the program that fits you the best!

I have the same question!!!

Also, I would like to add a follow-up question about outdoor vs. indoor wear.

For the interview portions you want to wear business casual clothing with nice, but comfortable, shoes as you will probably be doing some walking. In addition you want a warm coat. Something like this or maybe this is fine. Your coat doesn't have to be as formal as the rest of your clothing as it should be warm and anybody living there understand this, especially when you're not used to the cold. I could see trying to layer your clothing, even if it's something as simple as wearing an undershirt as that extra fabric will help keep the heat in and the cold out.

As most programs have a more relaxed day following one-on-one interviews your attire can change. If you're doing stuff outside boots (I'm personally fond of hiking boots), a nice sweater (or other warm shirt, layering thinner shirts can also work), and nice pants along with the previously mentioned coat are fine. Gloves can be a good idea if you're spending a significant amount of time outside as can a hat. I heard about one program taking people skiing (I think it was Utah) so in that case you definitely want gloves and a hat.

Something else you can do is wear long underwear underneath your clothing. It basically allows for layering when wearing pants and during very cold weather can be extremely nice.

I had a Skype interview with University of Arizona neuro adm committee earlier this month. The told me I'd here from them sometime after Christmas. Did all of their invites go out already? I felt my interview went really well, but who knows? Thanks.

I think you might still have time. I got a call from an institution requesting a Skype pre-interview about 2 weeks ago. They told me I would hear back from them that following week. I just got an email from them saying "sorry we have been so slow getting back to you" and basically giving me an update but still no concrete plans. I wouldn't sweat it too much. It seems like everyone but us is away from their computers!

I think you might still have time. I got a call from an institution requesting a Skype pre-interview about 2 weeks ago. They told me I would hear back from them that following week. I just got an email from them saying "sorry we have been so slow getting back to you" and basically giving me an update but still no concrete plans. I wouldn't sweat it too much. It seems like everyone but us is away from their computers!

Thank you for this insight, I am a lifelong worrywart. If I didn't have 7 shifts in the next 6 days at work I'd be lurking these forums all day and be telling myself things that I should probably do if grad school doesn't work out.

january 5th the adcoms come back and have a meeting, and anything after january 6th is the approximate time you will hear back.

It is really annoying how much time people take off for the holidays.

Argh! I know it's almost New Year's, but I was hoping for another round of interview invites this week. Anyone know when these people get back from vacation?

The university I attend is closed until Monday. I wouldn't be surprised if this was typical.