Applying for Neuroscience/Neurobiology Ph.D. programs for Fall 2015

NWFreeheel11

Also got a UCSF invite this afternoon! My waiting game is temporarily over  :D  Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back!

Congrats!

Anyone know if UCSF is still sending stuff out? Judging from history again, it looks like they only send for one day. They were my top choice and the PI I was interested in had actually unofficially promised me over email before the application process that he would bring me in for an interview, so if they are done, that would be disappointing indeed. 

Congrats!

Anyone know if UCSF is still sending stuff out? Judging from history again, it looks like they only send for one day. They were my top choice and the PI I was interested in had actually unofficially promised me over email before the application process that he would bring me in for an interview, so if they are done, that would be disappointing indeed. 

Wow. If they are done and you haven't gotten an invite, then that was such a bad move from the POI. It reminds us to take the things people say before/during interviews with a grain of salt and to never feel too safe. 

Wow. If they are done and you haven't gotten an invite, then that was such a bad move from the POI. It reminds us to take the things people say before/during interviews with a grain of salt and to never feel too safe. 

Definitely the moral of the story in this case. Though having worked in the corporate world for a little while, I can't say I am too surprised. 

Definitely the moral of the story in this case. Though having worked in the corporate world for a little while, I can't say I am too surprised. 

Then you have a leg up on this matter! I think I am sometimes too naive and like to believe things of this sort don't happen in academia (I know it's such a lie, but I still hope)...

Congrats!

Firstly, thanks!

They had sent out a couple of interviews before Christmas according to the Results Search, so I wouldn't assume it was just one day. I did receive an email, however, that suggests invites will be concluded by next week:

"We’re delighted that you’ve accepted our invitation for an interview with UCSF's Neuroscience Graduate Program.  We’re looking forward to your visit on February 13-14.

Once we finalize the list of people coming each weekend we will send out information about travel and logistics.  We expect that the email with this information will be sent out next week.

We appreciate your interest in UCSF and we look forward to meeting you."

Hope this helps!

-Mel

An acquaintance of mine who also applied to UCSF called them and mentioned to me that they while their decisions would be finalized at the end of this work week, they had already started rejecting. Looking at the results page, I can see that this is the case. 

Has anyone heard from Yale yet?

I heard back from all my other schools in mid-December so this last one is kinda driving me crazy. Whether I get the invite or not, I'm ready for the interview waiting game to be over!

I heard back from all my other schools in mid-December so this last one is kinda driving me crazy. Whether I get the invite or not, I'm ready for the interview waiting game to be over!

Yeah, I got a call from them Saturday morning (I was shocked because I wasn't expecting a call on a Saturday). However, I do not know if they do all of the calls at once, or if they do it in waves. The interview sessions are far away still (Feb26-28 and March1st). 

Edited by PeterPanComplex

Yeah, I got a call from them Saturday morning (I was shocked because I wasn't expecting a call on a Saturday). However, I do not know if they do all of the calls at once, or if they do it in waves. The interview sessions are far away still (Feb26-28 and March1st). 

Thanks and congrats!

Has anyone heard from UCSD or Stanford yet...?

Stanford, No but people might start hearing soon (?).. This is from their website:

The Admissions Committees will start to review applicant files a few days following the application deadline. It is important that all of your application materials are submitted by the deadline. During the week of January 5, 2015, the committees will start to contact those applicants who have been selected for an interview. The selected applicants will be invited to interview, at our expense, to arrive on Wednesday, March 4 and depart on Sunday, March 8, 2015. This is our only interview session

Got an email an hour ago ish saying to check my application decision

Got rejected :P

Someone shared this with me, and I thought I would share it with you all! it's an article on "how to pick a graduate advisor"

http://ac.els-cdn.com/S0896627313009070/1-s2.0-S0896627313009070-main.pdf?_tid=c45e98e4-94ee-11e4-ac0e-00000aacb361&acdnat=1420471574_15bedfa0eccf3eefb7bc81cf1177ba5e

Someone shared this with me, and I thought I would share it with you all! it's an article on "how to pick a graduate advisor"

http://ac.els-cdn.com/S0896627313009070/1-s2.0-S0896627313009070-main.pdf?_tid=c45e98e4-94ee-11e4-ac0e-00000aacb361&acdnat=1420471574_15bedfa0eccf3eefb7bc81cf1177ba5e

This is SUCH a helpful article. Surprising to see that it was published in Neuron...but I guess it's just that good!

I can't figure out how to use Web of Science to find any prof's h-index though...anyone know how to do this?

If I am not wrong, Google Scholar is the easiest way to get a prof's H-index (: (profs have google scholar profiles)

Edit: yikes i take that back not all Profs have Google Scholar profiles. But for those who do its still a quick and easy check.

Edited by thindust