PhD in Biomedical Sciences, Masters with 2 yr research exp, low GRE

akashpatel

Hello,

I am worried if I can get in to any good schools with my GRE ( 303; V: 146, Q: 157). I already have a Masters degree with a research project, and also 2 years of research experience at an Ivy league school. (1 co-author publication in a good journal) My undergrad GPA is 3.7 and masters GPA is 3.6, and I have great recommendation letters from professor at top tier universities.

Would GRE scores really affect my applications?

Can any one please suggest me some universities in northeast, that might be appropriate for my profile?

And, any chances for Columbia, UPenn, Harvard......other high-ranked schools?

Thanks.

One of my professors taught at a top ten institution (scripps research) and she was on the admissions committee for a few years. She told me that there are three things the admission committee will look at to decide if an applicant should be invited to interview, GPA, Letters of rec, and GRE. 2 OUT OF 3 is what you need to get an interview. In addition research experience is a MASSIVE benefit. She also told me that GRE scores are one of the last components they look at. 

Hi Virus guy,

Thanks for your response.

I have applied to SCRIPPS as well.

I got a rejection from Sloan Kettering, so I think GRE would be an imp. criteria for my application.

So confused and depressed, thinking of retaking it in January, but I doubt I will improve.

I am not a good GRE test-taker. :-(

How are your applications turning out? Where did you apply and if you heard anything?

Thanks.

Akash

Edited by akashpatel

Your rejection may not have anything to do with your GRE scores, did they say that your GRE scores were too low so we rejected you? So one school rejected you, all you need is one school. My GRE scores are about where yours are, I'm not the best standardized test taker. One of the components that I think gets down played a bit in this forum is how important your SOP is. I went through revision after revision of my SOP with my PI to make sure it was up to snuff. Also is your research experience 2 years in one lab working on one project? I got an interview from University of Alabama Birmingham.

Hi Virus guy,

Thanks for your response.

I have applied to SCRIPPS as well.

I got a rejection from Sloan Kettering, so I think GRE would be an imp. criteria for my application.

So confused and depressed, thinking of retaking it in January, but I doubt I will improve.

I am not a good GRE test-taker. :-(

How are your applications turning out? Where did you apply and if you heard anything?

Thanks.

Akash

Why January? Isn't that after when applications are due? If you're going to retake, do it this summer. What schools did you apply to, that can also make a difference.

Hi Virus Guy,

I understand what you saying, but at this time, I feel that's the only negative factor in my app.

I had my statement reviewed among 2-3 friends and one professor who was my mentor in Master's thesis.

I have Master's research-two years +1 year current work experience to be continued until I get into grad program.

I also did 6-month summer research project in final year BS and then worked for 7 months (industrial) before getting into Masters.

So you sure, GRE won't affect as a major (-ve) factor towards my apps? 

Thanks.

Hi Vene,

I know its too late to do it in mid-Jan, but at least I can apply to some average schools and get into a graduate program.

I have applied to all good schools and that is the reason I am more worried now.  :-(

Harvard, Columbia, BU, Rutgers, SCRIPPS, Mount Sinai, Uni of Wisconsin, NYU, Sloan Kettering (rejection), Stony Brook, UCSD....

....and I am looking for 2 more schools, which are avg or a lil below avg that helps me to get into PhD. 

Though I have two years of teaching experience and also research experience, I think it might not be sufficient to get into Ivy or top schools...

Any suggestions/advice????

What are you doing, and where?

Thanks.

....and I am looking for 2 more schools, which are avg or a lil below avg that helps me to get into PhD.

It's going to be tough to find any programs which haven't passed their deadline yet.

Though I have two years of teaching experience and also research experience, I think it might not be sufficient to get into Ivy or top schools...

Any suggestions/advice????

My advice is to find a backup option. Look for a job. See how you do this year, I think you have a decent mix of programs. If you do find one with a later deadline, you can get the materials together, and you are interested in the research they do by all means apply. But, the approach of applying everywhere is generally not the best. PhD programs are looking for who will be a good fit, not just who has been a good student in the past.

What are you doing, and where?

I'm a first year PhD student at the University of Vermont. I'm still working on rotations. But, our deadline has passed. Edited by Vene

It's going to be tough to find any programs which haven't passed their deadline yet.

My advice is to find a backup option. Look for a job. See how you do this year, I think you have a decent mix of programs. If you do find one with a later deadline, you can get the materials together, and you are interested in the research they do by all means apply. But, the approach of applying everywhere is generally not the best. PhD programs are looking for who will be a good fit, not just who has been a good student in the past.

I'm a first year PhD student at the University of Vermont. I'm still working on rotations. But, our deadline has passed.

Hi Vene, thanks for your advise. So GRE scores won't matter much, in top schools (if I have research and teaching experience as well as masters with thesis)?

Would they still consider my app for review?

I'm sure GRE scores still matter. I do know of people who have gotten into good programs with low GREs, but they are the exception. It also can help if you are in touch with a professor who will act as your advocate.

I'm sure GRE scores still matter. I do know of people who have gotten into good programs with low GREs, but they are the exception. It also can help if you are in touch with a professor who will act as your advocate.

What do you mean? I did not get you.

I'm working at Columbia, and my PI won't recommend by himself (they feel its like asking for favor to someone) huh :-(

I approached some prof. and they said, apply and if you get through interviews, mention their names and they will be happy to meet that time.

This might not be that great of news but despite a mindset on this forum that GRE scores don't matter much, my professors have emphasized that they are a very important part of the application because they are the only way to compare candidates across different schools/backgrounds. A great GPA + low GREs suggests that it might be easy to get As at your undergrad school. If you don't get into any schools this round then I suggest studying (I used Magoosh) and retaking them over the summer.

Like others have mentioned, your SOP is also very important. Do you have clear research interests and are you applying to schools that excel in your intended research area? I hope that you get into some of your top choices this cycle and don't have to worry about the GRE again! If you do end up with rejects from your top schools then retaking the GRE is an easy way to improve your application before next year.

• 2 weeks later...

One thing that constantly comes up is all of the applicants applying to "top" schools, then freaking out.

Are you sure a"top" school is the right fit for you? have you considered other schools not on the ivy league radar???

Some of the "mid level" or middle of the road programs have the most funding per PI and in their departments. Their students end up in top notch labs for their post doc and eventually end up being faculty members them selves. I am so f***ing tired of hearing everyone whine around about "top" programs. Maybe its not the best fit for you, look around, you will be devoting the next 7 years of your life to the program, you better like it, all of it, regardless of status.

Hi Akash,

I am in the same boat with you. I have avg GRE and I am working at Sloan Kettering since 2012. I have publications in good journals and I haven't heard from any of the schools I applied to.

We can talk about this if you are interested. Praveen98481@gmail.com.

Thanks,

Praveen.