UC Berkeley

neuroticneuro

Definitely anxious to hear from them, but I figured: the worst thing that can happen to me is that I'm not invited -- and even then, I'm no worse off than I am right now!

Our worth as human beings doesn't depend on our admission to grad school… right? Right?! 

Definitely anxious to hear from them, but I figured: the worst thing that can happen to me is that I'm not invited -- and even then, I'm no worse off than I am right now!

Our worth as human beings doesn't depend on our admission to grad school… right? Right?! 

WRONG!!!

For UC Berkeley, it's 99% rejection :( programs usually invite more candidates to interview than they offer admission to, so that pool is both admission students and waitlist students.

At least, that's what I've come to understand...

Did you guys apply to the UC Berkeley Psychology or Neuroscience department? A lot of the professors hold positions in both departments, especially in the Behavioral Neuroscience and Cognition, Brain, & Behavior area. I applied to Neuroscience, but kind of regret it now...

I applied to the Psych department, but I definitely went back and forth trying to decide between that and Neuro. 

I know for Psych we should be finding out about interviews today or tomorrow. Trying hard not to check my email and the results page every 30 seconds!

If you don't get invited for an interview, is it safe to say you're 100% going to get a rejection letter?  Or is no news (sometimes) good news?

For what it's worth, I know someone who was accepted to UC Berkeley's Psychology program after being first denied an interview and later rejected. I believe this student got in solely because of the NSF GRFP. So, if you don't get an interview but you do get federal funding, you might be able to convince the admissions committee otherwise. In fact, this might work for most schools... 

For what it's worth, I know someone who was accepted to UC Berkeley's Psychology program after being first denied an interview and later rejected. I believe this student got in solely because of the NSF GRFP. So, if you don't get an interview but you do get federal funding, you might be able to convince the admissions committee otherwise. In fact, this might work for most schools... 

Wow, like "you're not good enough for us to accept you, but we will accept that money" LOL