Feedback On Qualifications

ColtonLong

I've applied to the following seven schools for a Ph.D. in IR for the fall 2015 semester: 

GWU

Cornell

UPenn

George Mason

Notre Dame 

American

Georgetown

And am working on three more apps due in January to: 

University of Florida

University of Maryland

JHU 

Here are my qualifications: 

Undergrad GPA: 3.92 (4.0 in both majors: poli sci [1] and philosophy/pre-law [2]) 

GRE scores: 159 V, 144 Q (this is the only issue I see), 5.0 AW. 

4 LoRs available (two poli sci profs, one IR, one American, my philosophy adviser, and the university president; this last one isn't a copy/paste LoR, I worked with him in Student Government so he's able to comment on everything outside academia, if that counts for anything.) 

Writing sample: paper on IR that I presented on at a statewide conference last April. 

I did research for the IR prof on IOs, territorial disputes, democratic deficits, etc. 

I've tutored for both poli sci and philosophy courses. 

Because it's in my nature to wonder, how do you think I'll fare at the above schools? Much oblidged. 

It's all a bit late now... why torture yourself?

Slight masochistic tendencies? I would think all academics have at least a slightly masochistic side to them...but in all seriousness, you're right but I wanted to get a feel for it anyway. 

Slight masochistic tendencies? I would think all academics have at least a slightly masochistic side to them...but in all seriousness, you're right but I wanted to get a feel for it anyway. 

Maybe when there's opportunity to improve and correct things..

As you said the main issue is probably the GRE Q and that doesn't look good.  144 = 18th percentile. That's in contrast to ND's average admitted score of 156 (64th percentile) or UPenn's 158 (71st percentile) to take a few examples from your list.  A low GRE score can also have implications for funding (although I'm not familiar with the practices of most of those schools). IR can be very heavy on the math, so it could be a big issue.

So, if unfortunately you're not successful this cycle you've got one glaring potential issue to improve :). Good luck. You're GPA is good, but it seems like a very competitive process and every department weighs things differently. Let's hope we're both still not here next year..

Edited by AuldReekie

Maybe when there's opportunity to improve and correct things..

As you said the main issue is probably the GRE Q and that doesn't look good.  144 = 18th percentile. That's in contrast to ND's average admitted score of 156 (64th percentile) or UPenn's 158 (71st percentile) to take a few examples from your list.  A low GRE score can also have implications for funding (although I'm not familiar with the practices of most of those schools). IR can be very heavy on the math, so it could be a big issue.

So, if unfortunately you're not successful this cycle you've got one glaring potential issue to improve :). Good luck. You're GPA is good, but it seems like a very competitive process and every department weighs things differently. Let's hope we're both still not here next year..

I'll drink to that. My advisers say I should get into at least a couple of the schools, even if not the higher ranked ones (Cornell, UPenn, etc.). I lean more qualitative than quantative but poli sci is embracing math these days so I don't know how hard that will hit my application. I hope the other strong points will counter balance that and several of my LoRs even addressed the GRE Q, but by putting a positive spin on it; i.e. an empasis on stats was replaced by seminar type classes, extensive writing and research (all philosophy papers are really), and the like. I also wove it in, briefly, into my SoP/I. We shall see. 

One sort of general note with these threads is that GPA needs some context.  What kind of institution did you go to? How many math and hard science classes were in the mix? 3.92 with a physics minor at MIT is quite different from a 3.92 from a directional state university with a minor in music.

One sort of general note with these threads is that GPA needs some context.  What kind of institution did you go to? How many math and hard science classes were in the mix? 3.92 with a physics minor at MIT is quite different from a 3.92 from a directional state university with a minor in music.

State university on the East Coast. Two majors: straight poli sci and philosophy/pre-law. 4.0 in both majors so very little in the way of science classes and some intro math classes but we're not talking trig here. I cannot write you a paper on physics but I can tell you a heck of a lot about Locke or Machiavelli. I mean, I didn't have a second major in mathematics and a minor in physics but a 3.92, even from a state university, has to be better than a 3.62, no matter which way you look at it. 

Edited by ColtonLong

State university on the East Coast. Two majors: straight poli sci and philosophy/pre-law. 4.0 in both majors so very little in the way of science classes and some intro math classes but we're not talking trig here. I cannot write you a paper on physics but I can tell you a heck of a lot about Locke or Machiavelli. I mean, I didn't have a second major in mathematics and a minor in physics but a 3.92, even from a state university, has to be better than a 3.62, no matter which way you look at it. 

Honestly, I bet all of the top political science departments would prefer a 3.62 with a major in math and a minor in physics to a 3.92 in the social sciences, but that's okay. Still an excellent GPA.

Honestly, I bet all of the top political science departments would prefer a 3.62 with a major in math and a minor in physics to a 3.92 in the social sciences, but that's okay. Still an excellent GPA.

I tend to agree with you there. It's my hope a 3.92 is still enough. Thanks for the input!