Confused and Worried Fall 2010 MPP/MPA Applicant

Hello,

I recently graduated summa cum laude from a top tier public school in Virginia (not UVa) with a double major in political science and history. My overall GPA was a 3.86, and my in-major GPA's were a 3.81 and a 3.97, respectively. I am also Phi Beta Kappa, and I was a member of my university's SGA for two years. From the time I was a junior in high school I knew I wanted to be a lawyer (or so I thought). I was convinced of this as I was sending out applications to various law schools. Then I came home for Christmas and I started talking with old high school friends who were also going to law school or were already there, and they started talking about things such as signing bonuses, tort class, and moot court. Too make a long story short, I've realized over the last 6 months that I never wanted to be a lawyer, I just wanted to say that I had the degree. All along I had wanted to work for the federal government in some capacity involving homeland security or international policy. When I got back to school I brought this up to my adviser and he recommended that, given my interests, I should look into getting an MPA or an MPP. I've spent the last six months researching various programs around the country, and I'm very interested in the following programs: USC's MPA, UPitt's MPIA, George Mason's MPP, GWU's MPA, UNC's MPA, LBJ's MPAff., William & Mary's MPP, Duke's MPP, and Virginia Tech's MPA. Here is my dilemma: After I figured out law school wasn't the right path for me it was too late to get merit based aid at many of these schools, so after taking advice from several of my professors, I decided not to apply to those programs for Fall 2009 and enter the workforce until I went back to school in 2010. Let's just say things fell through, and I didn't get the job I thought I was going to get, so I'm stuck without a job worthy of being put on an application to a top tier school. I know that I can count on three very solid LOR's and I think I'll do well enough on my GRE's. I've also worked various jobs since high school, and I spent last summer interning with the GAO in D.C.

So, after that narrative (sorry about that by the way :D ), my question to anyone reading this post is this: Will my lack of "REAL" work experience screw me over on my applications?

PS: USC's SPPD is my top choice- its an internship goldmine and it has an excellent reputation all over the U.S. Plus, I really appreciate the fact that their instruction seems to be more practical than theoretical.

Is USC's SPPD strong in international security? I know they have a subfield in international development I believe, but I would imagine that if you are primarily interested in security issues a school in DC would offer the best opportunities especially for internships/connections...or maybe a school in another part of the country with a specific subfield in international security/affairs/politics. I took a look at the SPPD website and saw the internships and jobs that people with an MPP from USC get and I can't really seem to find much on what you're interested in. But maybe my perceptions are off...anyone else know anything about USC and international security type issues? I'd be interested to know too.

What really interests me about SPPD is its Homeland Security Center (officially called The National Center for Risk and Economic Analysis of Terrorism Events- CREATE). The really neat thing about it is that its funded by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.

What really interests me about SPPD is its Homeland Security Center (officially called The National Center for Risk and Economic Analysis of Terrorism Events- CREATE). The really neat thing about it is that its funded by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.

Personally, I think anything having to do with Homeland Security is a waste of time. Your career would be dependent upon terrorist attacks, and we haven't had any in a very long time.

applicants without work experience also have chances of getting into top programs. However, you have to excel in everything else - LORs, college grades, GREs, personal statement. Its a bit more challenging to get in but of course you still have a chance. Try applying to other schools liek safety schools just in case. :)

First, and not to stroke your ego too much, you have a very impressive academic record. Even without a healthy dose of relevant work experience on your CV, I suggest you look at other schools that are a little more top-tier than the ones you've listed (nothing against any of those programs of course!). Shoot high my man.

Second, here are a couple more ideas that are less MPA and more MPP or MA IR (international relations), since you want to get into policymaking and security on a global scale:

- Fletcher School, Tufts

- Kennedy School, Harvard

- either GPPI or SFS at Georgetown

- SAIS, Johns Hopkins

- Korbel School, U.Denver

- Maxwell School, Syracuse University (Institute for National Security and Counterterrorism: http://insct.syr.edu/)

Finally, since this is up your intended alley -- I just came across Homeland Security Report No. 199, the latest in the series, available for free download here: http://ow.ly/gT63. Enjoy!