Putting "additional info" in application?

drownsoda

I have a year long gap in my undergrad transcript for 2012 because I had a cancer diagnosis and had to treat it. On one of my applications, I was provided this option:

"Please add any additional information that was not captured within your application you wish to be considered for your admission decision. For example: Do you believe that your academic record accurately reflects your achievement and potential in the program you wish to enter? Are there any circumstances which may prevent you from completing your academic work?"

​Should I mention the reason behind my transcript gap in this field? I brought up the fact that I had to take a year off due to a "serious health problem" in my other SOPs, but the maximum length for this specific application was 500 words, so I was unable to bring it up there. Would it be smart to mention this here or not?

I have two schools on my list with this option: Tufts University (MALD) and American University (MA). I would definitely not  include any personal aspects within your SOP. But, if they provide an additional opportunity to redeem yourself, then they shouldn't look down on you.

I used this 'additional option' to explain the reasoning of my low GRE scores and giving other positive aspects of myelf to shed some light o the low scores. It might be a call of desperation. But if someone gives me an additional option to provide an explanation on something that might raise red flags,then I'm going to make use of it.

• 2 weeks later...

I have cancer and am currently going through chemo.  I have not taken any time off, but did take a couple incompletes that I am finalizing and that will not be posted until after I submit transcripts.  None of my applications have any 'additional info' spaces.  However, I have had long-term dialogue with all my POIs - even from before my diagnosis.  They have kind of seen me go through it.  I have been very upfront and honest with them all from the beginning because it has affected my ability to visit campuses, and even had me reconsider applications.  With that said, they all told me to put that in my SOP - 4 schools told me to!  Why? because it helps contextualize any struggle you have had to overcome during your schooling, and if you still walked away with good GPA etc, it shows dedication and resilience.  I left it out of one (my top choice school), and my POI had volunteered to edit my SOP - he sent it back to me and told me to include at least one sentence explaining my cancer situation - that it prevented me from applying last year, affected my GRE score since I had to take it during chemo, and why I am resolving incompletes on my record.  I have always had feedback that disclosing a hardship is nothing to hide. It shouldn't be the focus, but cancer is no joke.  Seriously, if you are going to be working with these people for several years as you develop research, they need to know who you are, and how hard you are willing to work regardless of the situation you are in.  Also remember that adcomms and faculty are people too...many have been through serious things in their own life...cancer, disability, divorce, etc etc.  They are not immune, and many can relate to you.  They can look at you and say...hey, this student is a trooper...

I also know, as a cancer inflicted person, that we all deal with our cancers differently.  Many people are very private about their experience, and that is what you might need to do for your own personal reasons.  It depends on what you are comfortable with, but I guess my point is to not be ashamed of it, and not hide your experience with it, for anyone else. You went through it and it made you stronger and you are still pushing through your academics, and that is an accomplishment that not only you should be proud of, but in my opinion bears more weight than any academic success.

PM me if you would ever like to chat! I welcome the dialogue :)

I have cancer and am currently going through chemo.  I have not taken any time off, but did take a couple incompletes that I am finalizing and that will not be posted until after I submit transcripts.  None of my applications have any 'additional info' spaces.  However, I have had long-term dialogue with all my POIs - even from before my diagnosis.  They have kind of seen me go through it.  I have been very upfront and honest with them all from the beginning because it has affected my ability to visit campuses, and even had me reconsider applications.  With that said, they all told me to put that in my SOP - 4 schools told me to!  Why? because it helps contextualize any struggle you have had to overcome during your schooling, and if you still walked away with good GPA etc, it shows dedication and resilience.  I left it out of one (my top choice school), and my POI had volunteered to edit my SOP - he sent it back to me and told me to include at least one sentence explaining my cancer situation - that it prevented me from applying last year, affected my GRE score since I had to take it during chemo, and why I am resolving incompletes on my record.  I have always had feedback that disclosing a hardship is nothing to hide. It shouldn't be the focus, but cancer is no joke.  Seriously, if you are going to be working with these people for several years as you develop research, they need to know who you are, and how hard you are willing to work regardless of the situation you are in.  Also remember that adcomms and faculty are people too...many have been through serious things in their own life...cancer, disability, divorce, etc etc.  They are not immune, and many can relate to you.  They can look at you and say...hey, this student is a trooper...

I also know, as a cancer inflicted person, that we all deal with our cancers differently.  Many people are very private about their experience, and that is what you might need to do for your own personal reasons.  It depends on what you are comfortable with, but I guess my point is to not be ashamed of it, and not hide your experience with it, for anyone else. You went through it and it made you stronger and you are still pushing through your academics, and that is an accomplishment that not only you should be proud of, but in my opinion bears more weight than any academic success.

PM me if you would ever like to chat! I welcome the dialogue :)

Thank you! This is definitely a weird topic and it's difficult to explain to people, but since you're going through a similar thing, you probably understand better. I appreciate your input and take on this.  

I guess had a serious inner conflict about using the "c word" in my applications because I couldn't find a way of tying it in with my academic life, so I chose to be vague about it. More power to you for incorporating it; I think you're right in that it is telling of one's perseverance. Like you said, it's not a joke. It's a serious thing that ravages your life and your body, and enduring that is definitely worth something.

I basically had half of my neck carved out during multiple surgeries to remove tumors and lymph nodes, and I ended up in the ICU and almost died after my first surgery. Then I had to do this X-Files-ish iodine therapy where I ingested radioactive iodine and was locked away in a remote hospital wing for four days. I was left with a massive scar that I had to get laser treatments on because it was so inflamed, and I have to go to the doctor every three months for the rest of my life for blood tests, sonograms, and biopsies of any "suspicious" lumps, should they arise. The whole thing was just horrific and traumatizing, as I'm sure you know, so I've kind of done my best to put it behind me, which was another reason I think I subconsciously avoided directly bringing it into my SOP. 

I still did ended up mentioning the gap in my transcript in my SOPs on my applications, just because I felt it may look odd and that committees may want to know what kept me out of school for a year. On the aforementioned application, I put it in the additional info sections, but I was purposely ambiguous about what happened, although I did make a point to say that it was serious and that it required surgeries and treatments which made it impossible for me to manage classes— that was as far as I went with it though. 

My main thing was that I wanted to make sure that those reviewing my application were aware that I didn't drop out of school because I was indecisive or a party animal or couldn't deal with the work— that I had a damn good reason for withdrawing. It was just a matter of making that known without being too explicit about it, for a lot of really complicated reasons. 

Serious props to you for being open about it though. I for some reason felt really uncomfortable going all the way there with it in my applications.

PS: I'd totally welcome any dialogue too.