MBA Marketing or Masters in Communication

Hey Y'all,

I am a 21 year old from the Honors College at the University of Central Florida.  I am interested in furthering my education be attending grad school.  However I am not sure which degree is more competitive and would offer me more career opportunities.  Does anyone have any advice on this situation?  Thanks.

It's really what you make of it. As far as I know, for MBAs the pedigree matters (so doing a Rollins evening MBA would probably be a huge waste unless you're trying to be in Central FL forever). As far as an MA/MS Communications, you should have a general idea of what it is that you want to do first. Do you have any work experience or substantial intern experience?

These are entirely different things. "Which one is more tasty -- an apple or an orange?" 

Maybe check out the alumni news of a couple MBA programs and MA Comm programs, see what kinds of careers they have and whether that's what you want. 

A lot of marketing, by the way, is about statistical modeling, a very different way of working than you would pursue via the MA. 

Do you want something applied or something theoretical? Do you want to gain basic knowledge that will help you no matter what field you end up seeking employment in or do you want to pursue specialized knowledge that will help you do xyz? (For the record, communication can be as applied as business). Do you want to conduct research or do you want to work on projects/develop business proposals? Do you want to write a thesis? Where do you see yourself in 20 years?

Answering those questions will help you determine which path is the right one for you. And even if you make one choice you're still young and you have time to reconsider or make a different choice later. My master's is in emergency management and I'm not an applied scholar, but I in no way regret the education I have.

I have worked in marketing/communications and am currently in academia with a media/comm MA.

The MA is a research degree. Get the MBA -- many executive industry positions are arbitrarily closed (even if you are advancing within the company) to people w/o MBA degrees, and the MA will not help you over that hurdle.

Edited by NOWAYNOHOW

• 6 years later...
  • 1 month later...