Is it acceptable to bring "notes" on your interview day?

nmoli

Over the summer, I visited several PIs in programs that I was interested in.  When I met with them, I brought notes with bullet points of their research (that was of particular interest to me) and questions specific to their research.  I found this very helpful because it allowed me to ask questions that led to great discussions of their work.  These conversations, in many cases, brought their work to life for me.  I am wondering if it is acceptable to do this again during my interviews - especially with faculty that I would be interested in working with.  Obviously, I don't even know if I would meet with those faculty members, but if so, is it appropriate to be prepared in this way?  Or should I try to just ask questions from memory?  Is it acceptable to take notes when they answer my questions?  What if I just want to jot down a question that comes up while they are talking, so that I don't have to interrupt their train of thought, but can ask it later? 

You can use them during the portion of the interview when you get to ask questions of them, but I would advise against using them during the time they are asking you questions. Looking at your notes during that time will not do you any favors!

When I was in grad school a few years back, I remember one of my professors saying, "any time you sit down with a faculty member, no matter the purpose of the meeting, you should have a notepad to jot down notes.  Even if nothing pans out as necessary to jot down, you'll still demonstrate to that prof that you are especially engaged in whatever they have to say."

That said, I think its fair to say you should probably prepare yourself ahead of the interview for whatever questions you have for the professor. It is grad school after all, and I'd venture to say you should be able to sufficiently familiarize yourself with their work ahead of time in order to avoid having to look over a "cheat sheet".  

Therefore, I'd say - bring in a blank notepad to take notes, not read them. 

If I have to refer to notes to answer questions about myself, that means I'm in a lot of trouble!  I was thinking of printing out a publication or two of interest for each faculty member that I would like to work with, placing them in a clear folder, along with one page of bullet points that offer a quick summary & specific questions I'd like to ask related to the publications.  I would have all of these in my purse, clearly labeled, so that if I am in a private faculty meeting with someone whose work I researched, I can simply reach in and pull out the respective folder.  I am always most comfortable being over-prepared, even if I never use the information while I'm in the situation.  I just don't want to look like a lunatic, or be inappropriate.

If I have to refer to notes to answer questions about myself, that means I'm in a lot of trouble!  I was thinking of printing out a publication or two of interest for each faculty member that I would like to work with, placing them in a clear folder, along with one page of bullet points that offer a quick summary & specific questions I'd like to ask related to the publications.  I would have all of these in my purse, clearly labeled, so that if I am in a private faculty meeting with someone whose work I researched, I can simply reach in and pull out the respective folder.  I am always most comfortable being over-prepared, even if I never use the information while I'm in the situation.  I just don't want to look like a lunatic, or be inappropriate.

If I were interviewing a student who says he/she is interested in my work, I think it'd mean more if they knew some facts without needing a reminder.  

This having been said, I've already had a few unofficial interviews and in every case, the PI spent the majority of the time explaining his/her research and then transitioning directly to questions about me.  Whatever questions I had time to ask him/her followed smoothly with the conversation and did not require too much depth-of-knowledge.  I got the impression that it wasn't necessary to be that intimate with their work.  Even still... it certainly cannot hurt!

Ok, so maybe I'm thinking the interviews will be much more in depth than they actually are.  When I met with PI's over the summer, I sat with them for about an hour.  The questions I asked were ones that someone might ask at the end of a talk that was given.  They were detailed questions, related to very specific parts of their studies.  I went in with a very solid understanding of their body of work - I did not need notes for that.  The notes were 1) so I wouldn't forget to ask something, 2) to bring up terminology or techniques in their publications that I was not familiar with and required a more general explanation.  It sounds as though the interviews will me shorter & more general, in which case, I am over-preparing.

Ok, so maybe I'm thinking the interviews will be much more in depth than they actually are.  When I met with PI's over the summer, I sat with them for about an hour.  The questions I asked were ones that someone might ask at the end of a talk that was given.  They were detailed questions, related to very specific parts of their studies.  I went in with a very solid understanding of their body of work - I did not need notes for that.  The notes were 1) so I wouldn't forget to ask something, 2) to bring up terminology or techniques in their publications that I was not familiar with and required a more general explanation.  It sounds as though the interviews will me shorter & more general, in which case, I am over-preparing.

It's possible... but I should reiterate that my experience is only with "unofficial" interviews.  I am under the impression that you'll have 15-30 minutes with each faculty member during the official interviews, but I'm not certain. 

I suppose bringing notes as you've described may not be a negative, especially after hearing your rationale. What's more, it would make a statement as to your methods of preparation and attention to detail, which themselves could set you apart from the crowd, if not simply providing an additional, more personal glimpse for the interviewer into your personality.  

Here is what I think: 

Generally, the interview should be a conversation with a back and forth between you and your interviewer(s). You shouldn't have to rely on written reminders about anything that has to do with yourself or your work. I also think it's a bad idea to have to refer to your notes for questions you want to ask them. You should know them without using notes. I would have notes there for one of two (maybe three) reasons. First, to jot down important information. I usually try and do that *after* the interview as much as possible because, again, if you stop to take notes that will stop the flow of the conversation. Sometimes, though, someone says something important that I want to make sure I remember, so it's useful to have a piece of paper in front of you for that. Second, to talk research. For my work, it's sometimes useful to be able to draw something or put some data down on paper so you can refer back to it. I don't think that printing out a whole paper makes sense, though. If there is work that interests you, you should be able to talk about it intelligently without reading from the printed paper. Finally, it's useful to have your notes for reference in case you blank during the interview, to refresh your memory. For me, those notes are always hidden and I just draw some comfort from knowing they are there. I've never used them in an interview. I have, however, used breaks to "cram" on interviewers before an interview begins. 

I wouldn't bother printing out papers. You should make yourself a sheet of notes for each professor where you have some bullet points about their research and how it might intersect with yours. You can then use it as a cram/crib sheet at night or first thing in the morning to refresh your memory before you go in. I wouldn't sit there staring at the sheet during the interviews though. And definitely bring a professional looking notebook to take notes in throughout the interview weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

Update:  I brought no notes because I became so overwhelmed with prepping about my own research that I thought it would just be too much to deal with.  As it turns out, I never would have used them. 

Update:  I brought no notes because I became so overwhelmed with prepping about my own research that I thought it would just be too much to deal with.  As it turns out, I never would have used them. 

That's good to know. I have 5 POIs to interview with and a panel of directors. I was worried there would be no way to remember something about everyone considering I have back to back interviews which would mean 13 people's research to memorize. I hope I won't need notes but I might make a cheat sheet anyway.