Fall 2015 Acceptances (and Rejections) Thread

Anonymona

Jason Jones, he is using this new method of acquiring big data from social media (Facebook, twitter) to test hypotheses. Although I also mentioned I'd like to work with Rebekah Buroway (poverty and development) and Kathleen Fallon (women social movements in developing countries).

I'm going into economic sociology.

I'm an undergrad there now. I've heard great things about Buroway.

Yay yay yay I got into Santa Cruz!! I got an unofficial email a few hours ago. They gave me a Chancellor's Fellowship with guaranteed funding for three years, but haven't yet told me exactly how much money I'll get. Let me know if you have any questions! In years past it seems like they've trickled out acceptances all the way into March, so no worries if you don't hear today.

Edit: I'd love to talk to other folks who got in about funding and things. Pm me please!

Edited by juiceboxrampage

Congrats!!! It looks like the Chancellor's fellowship is $24k a year + fees!!! Congrats again!!! :) 

http://graddiv.ucsc.edu/financial-aid/

Yay yay yay I got into Santa Cruz!! I got an unofficial email a few hours ago. They gave me a Chancellor's Fellowship with guaranteed funding for three years, but haven't yet told me exactly how much money I'll get. Let me know if you have any questions! In years past it seems like they've trickled out acceptances all the way into March, so no worries if you don't hear today.

Edit: I'd love to talk to other folks who got in about funding and things. Pm me please!

Has anyone here been accepted to UC-Riverside? What's the funding package? PM me and let me know which research cluster you plan to work.in.

UC riverside already sent out acceptances?

I'm a current undergrad at UC Riverside. As far as I know, decisions have been made, but they're waiting to get them through grad division first. I think they're trying to give funding details along with the accepts (not all programs do this).

Ya'll can ask me questions if you like. Here or PM. I know some of the faculty personally and I've taken a couple of graduate courses. 

Anyone else accepted to Arizona? Just received funding and curious about others' offers. 

Just a note: I've heard that some shit has hit the fan at Arizona and a lot of the faculty are trying to jump ship (including an alum from my program, which is how I heard this). I'd look into it before making any commitments.

Has anybody contacted/heard anything from Boston University or Northeastern?

I received an offer from Northeastern (5 years funding and assistantship) a couple of days ago. I'm not sure if they have sent out all the acceptances yet.

Hi everyone,

I'm jumping a bit late into the game, but I received an informal offer from UCSD (waiting on the formal admission and financial package). I was rejected by UNC and am still waiting on Columbia and UPenn. 

Question for you guys - do you know how common deferrals are? I'll be starting a new job next month and would ideally like to stay for about a year and a half before going into the PhD (I'm finishing up a master's degree now). Any insight would be appreciated!

Hey, has anybody heard from Cornell Sociology? The past two years they have notified February 7th and 13th, so I was expecting some acceptances to have popped up by now... It's my last hope in Sociology...

I called about ten days ago, and they said they had their first meeting that day. It sounded like they are behind schedule because of the snow. (Side note: I've been impressed by how early schools in the northeast have been getting their offers out considering the weather/how frequently the schools have been closed. Kudos, adcoms).

Not sure if this applies to development sociology as well.

Edited by Anonymona

Just a note: I've heard that some shit has hit the fan at Arizona and a lot of the faculty are trying to jump ship (including an alum from my program, which is how I heard this). I'd look into it before making any commitments.

Sorry for reposting. New user and forgot to quote. This is my question from earlier (in context with the quote): 

Do you mean the University of Arizona or Arizona State University? I was admitted to the former. From your previous posts, it looks like you're at UC Davis. I don't see a UC Davis alum among the faculty at UA. That being said, I know that one of the faculty members recently (and very tragically) passed away, and another just retired. 

In any case, thanks for the heads up.

I called about ten days ago, and they said they had their first meeting that day. It sounded like they are behind schedule because of the snow. (Side note: I've been impressed by how early schools in the northeast have been getting their offers out considering the weather/how frequently the schools have been closed. Kudos, adcoms).

Not sure if this applies to development sociology as well.

Thanks for that info, very helpful.

And congrats on your acceptances. I imagine it would be hard to say no to a program as awesome as UCLA's.

Folks still waiting to hear from Harvard should check their application status online. I checked today, and apparently the decision has been available since Friday.

Anyone have any insight into how often people are accepted from the waitlist there? I'm sending an email to see if I can get a picture for it, but I figured I'd check here, too.

Can I ask where did you check the decision? I went to the application site with the status, and all it says is that my application was submitted and complete. Where did you see the decision?

Folks still waiting to hear from Harvard should check their application status online. I checked today, and apparently the decision has been available since Friday.

Anyone have any insight into how often people are accepted from the waitlist there? I'm sending an email to see if I can get a picture for it, but I figured I'd check here, too.

Can I ask where did you check the decision? I went to the application site with the status, and all it says is that my application was submitted and complete. Where did you see the decision?

Same here.

Mine appears right underneath the names of my LOR writers. It says "your application decision is now available"

Thank you! I just checked and there is nothing there. I hope it means they are still in the process of reviewing my application.