Fall 2015 Acceptances (and Rejections) Thread

Anonymona

Does anyone know if people typically get off of funding waitlists? And if so, is there a chance for full funding? Or is there no way to generalize because this is all specific to the institution?

I was told I was ranked highly and that the probability was pretty high, so there might be hope right?

Is this for upenn?

Does anyone know if people typically get off of funding waitlists? And if so, is there a chance for full funding? Or is there no way to generalize because this is all specific to the institution?

I was told I was ranked highly and that the probability was pretty high, so there might be hope right?

At my school, wait listed students are waitlisted just because of lack of funding (we only admit students with full funding packages). If you get off the waitlisted successfully, it will be with the full deal.

Good luck!

I think you are right that it is hard to generalize because there is such a spectrum of outcomes at so many universities. That said, I have been been put on a waitlist for funding at a specific institution and told the amount I will be funded if/when a spot opens up. In my case it would be a fully funded assistantship, but no way to say if that is common or not.

What school is this for?

I know this isn't the correct forum - but it seems to be the most popular. Does anyone know if NYU is reimbursing us for travel expenses? None of my emails mention it. 

Hey for Yale, who is the email from?

I was thinking of emailing them directly, despite not hearing anything (which I am assuming is bad news).

I am in a good program in a closely related field, but I didn't get into a single pure sociology program this year or last year. At least last year I got wait listed. Oh well.

Funny, this study was conducted by a physicist here at CU Boulder. Interesting that he did not graduate from an elite school and is now a professor at one of the most prestigious physics schools in the world (5 Nobel prizes in 10 years).

Hi, for those who are still waiting for Columbia Phd decision. I sent an email to Prof. Shamus Khan and got his reply:

"We have issued offers to our doctoral program; our decisions for our masters program are still pending. 

We receive several hundred applications for eight spots. In making decisions we must balance composition, interest areas, and fit. I am sorry we were unable to offer you admission to our doctoral program, but I wish you luck in your future sociological pursuits. "

ok, so no news yet from Columbia means rejection I guess.. :(

ok, so no news yet from Columbia means rejection I guess.. :(

They just sent out another round of rejections (I was one of them). Check your status online I guess, in case you didn't get an email for some reason?

They just sent out another round of rejections (I was one of them). Check your status online I guess, in case you didn't get an email for some reason?

Emailed Shamus Khan and he got back just now:

"We have issued offers to our doctoral program; our decisions for our masters program are still pending.

We receive several hundred applications for eight spots. In making decisions we must balance composition, interest areas, and fit. I am sorry we were unable to offer you admission to our doctoral program, but I wish you luck in your future sociological pursuits."

But my online application still says "submitted". I guess they are too busy to send out all rejections at once..:(

Emailed Shamus Khan and he got back just now:

We receive several hundred applications for eight spots. In making decisions we must balance composition, interest areas, and fit. I am sorry we were unable to offer you admission to our doctoral program, but I wish you luck in your future sociological pursuits."

But my online application still says "submitted". I guess they are too busy to send out all rejections at once.. :(

Ok, was accepted to their MA. That's why.

I was accepted into the MA program, applied to the PhD but didn't get in. I received the email to check the website on 2/23. I hadn't heard anything (about the PhD rejection) before that. Haven't heard from NYU but I'm assuming that means it's a no. Was rejected by CUNY on 2/21 via email to check their website. 

This is pure speculation, but don't other sociology programs know that the Columbia and Chicago terminal MA programs are primarily money-making schemes? It seems as if departments would be familiar enough with this that unless a student coming from one of these programs (in a hypothetical situation in which someone applies to PhD programs after finishing the MA) demonstrated impressive improvement and accomplishments during their time completing the degree, the degree essentially is an expensive way to look good...

Perhaps this is what letstalkshop is alluding to, and that makes a lot of sense. 

Personally, even if I did not receive any funded PhD offers, I would still turn down the Columbia MA acceptance given that I'd rather spend a year trying to publish, getting involved in research, networking, etc. (and working, of course) to reapply than going into significant debt with virtually the same future plan. I could make money during that time and still seriously improve my PhD applications, in theory. Debt isn't something to discuss lightly (referring to your post, TheoryOfTheories) -- and I expect better from sociologists than comments devaluing and dismissing minimum wage workers. $15 and a union, indeed!

I'm curious, what about those of us with no background in sociology who therefore have no contacts/experience, etc.? I have a BFA and MFA and have been in the photo world for 15 years and am making a career change, so for me I'd say my chances of getting into a PhD program off the bat are slim to none. Which is why I believe I was rejected from the Columbia PhD program (as well as NYU and CUNY) but accepted into the MA (which only happened I think because I took classes in their Continuing Ed program).

I'm hoping that getting the Masters will either be a gateway to a PhD, or that I could foster some contacts that could lead to a non-academic job with just the Masters. I'm not really willing to risk turning down the MA for a hope that in a year there would be a distant chance I could get a PhD with funding somewhere, despite the fact that the tuition at Columbia is nuts. Incurring some debt and then being able to get work and pay it off (even if slowly) later is better than not getting a job in a new area that I really want to pursue, I would think? My current field is terrible salary-wise--luckily my husband has a decent job but I would like to be able to contribute more in the long run.

Just my two cents. 

I'm curious: will anyone be taking the Columbia MA offer?  I'm surprised at the unenthusiastic reactions so far.  I have an MA from Chicago and I'd be thrilled to get the offer.

I'm planning on accepting. It's been a bit disheartening to read people talking about it just being a money-making scheme or the like, I mean I agree it shouldn't be so expensive, but I would think it's still an honor to get in? I was feeling lucky, but then got sad sensing that some believe that having to fund my education makes it not count or invalidates it or something. As I see it, I have zero background in Sociology and will need the MA as a gateway to get into funded PhD programs (if I even go that route, I don't want to be in academia so I'll see if I can get a decent job with a Masters once I graduate). Luckily I'm 40 and have been in the work force and have saved up, and my husband has a good job, so this whole "you can only go with a trust fund" or get into serious debt annoys me. Anyhow, it was nice to read your comment in contrast to some of the other things people have been saying on here.  

To anyone who doesn't have a financially supporting family or the professional means to mitigate "the disgusting cost" of an MA please consider the following.

An MA from Chicago or Columbia certainly improves your odds of finding gainful employment relative to, say, that BA in gender studies and postmodern literature that you incurred debt for in the first place. Top firms from all fields recruit from top tier schools, what you actually studied ("bourgeois fields" included) playing a largely minor role. Depending on where you live, how you live, etc., a year or two outside of academic work may go a long way to mitigate the $75,000 price tag. It might, it might not, there are a lot of factors at play.  

There may be an even higher opportunity cost of not attending an MA program. If you have academic aspirations but have never been in a graduate environment, dealt with academic politics, etc., etc., you may find that you really dislike the academic world. Now if you're a few years into a Ph.D. program, and especially if you have completed it, you may not have incurred any debt, but you're not going anywhere else professionally. And, like Marx's capitalists, you've dug your own grave. Get comfortable there. If you haven't noticed the American public is only slightly hostile to science and intellectuals of any kind. I think most people would rather be buried in debt than having a doctorate and (minor but meaningful edit) taking fast food orders or being otherwise miserable for the rest of their natural lives. I could be wrong.

Now if you find that you do love academic work and you really want to research, teach, and publish at a (major) university, then these MA programs are, in the context of the long run, an incredible opportunity to advance those life-long goals. Nothing is guaranteed, sure, but that is the nature of life. These opportunities are almost entirely what you make of them. (I can say this because I largely squandered mine the first time around.)

So to anyone out there considering the MA route please feel free to contact me. I'm happy to help in anyway I can.    

Just saw this, relates to my response to your first post, thanks. Incidentally, I've taken two courses through the Continuing Ed program at Columbia which I did as a way to test out whether I'd be happy in that environment before applying, so that's something for other people to consider. Also, one of my classes will fulfill an elective so that's a course I can check off my requirements too. 

I'm planning on accepting. It's been a bit disheartening to read people talking about it just being a money-making scheme or the like, I mean I agree it shouldn't be so expensive, but I would think it's still an honor to get in? I was feeling lucky, but then got sad sensing that some believe that having to fund my education makes it not count or invalidates it or something. As I see it, I have zero background in Sociology and will need the MA as a gateway to get into funded PhD programs (if I even go that route, I don't want to be in academia so I'll see if I can get a decent job with a Masters once I graduate). Luckily I'm 40 and have been in the work force and have saved up, and my husband has a good job, so this whole "you can only go with a trust fund" or get into serious debt annoys me. Anyhow, it was nice to read your comment in contrast to some of the other things people have been saying on here.  

If you stated or hinted in your SOP/application that you're not interested in a job in academia, that could partially explain not getting into PhD programs. 

I'm curious, what about those of us with no background in sociology who therefore have no contacts/experience, etc.? I have a BFA and MFA and have been in the photo world for 15 years and am making a career change, so for me I'd say my chances of getting into a PhD program off the bat are slim to none. Which is why I believe I was rejected from the Columbia PhD program (as well as NYU and CUNY) but accepted into the MA (which only happened I think because I took classes in their Continuing Ed program).

I'm hoping that getting the Masters will either be a gateway to a PhD, or that I could foster some contacts that could lead to a non-academic job with just the Masters. I'm not really willing to risk turning down the MA for a hope that in a year there would be a distant chance I could get a PhD with funding somewhere, despite the fact that the tuition at Columbia is nuts. Incurring some debt and then being able to get work and pay it off (even if slowly) later is better than not getting a job in a new area that I really want to pursue, I would think? My current field is terrible salary-wise--luckily my husband has a decent job but I would like to be able to contribute more in the long run.

Just my two cents. 

This is a very valid point. I think the decision (as to the "do I attend the MA program"? question) absolutely varies from person to person, and if it is the best move for your academic career, you know much better than anyone else! Especially (to note your other comment below) if you saved up money that makes the MA feasible, go for it. I was offering my perspective relative to my own situation and in no way want to be seen as criticizing people who choose to enter the program. Congratulations on the acceptance!

If you stated or hinted in your SOP/application that you're not interested in a job in academia, that could partially explain not getting into PhD programs. 

I was careful to tailor it to the PhD, so that shouldn't have influenced my prospects. Looking back at my comment where I say I "don't want to be in academia" I probably came off a bit stronger than I meant it to--it's not that I'm averse to being in academia, it's more that the job prospects are so narrow and as such I'd prefer to be in policy or a branch where I possibly wouldn't have to fight so hard for a spot. I think even if one doesn't want to be a professor, a PhD would open up access to even more options outside of academia. Also, NYU and CUNY don't have MA programs (well NYU does but it's in quant which is not what I want to focus on), so a PhD is the only option.