Fall 2015 Acceptances (and Rejections) Thread

Anonymona

This is a very valid point. I think the decision (as to the "do I attend the MA program"? question) absolutely varies from person to person, and if it is the best move for your academic career, you know much better than anyone else! Especially (to note your other comment below) if you saved up money that makes the MA feasible, go for it. I was offering my perspective relative to my own situation and in no way want to be seen as criticizing people who choose to enter the program. Congratulations on the acceptance!

Thanks, very much appreciate your response  :)

Will you accept do you think?

I don't know. It's very expensive and I already have fieldwork experience and am working independently on a research project now. Although my background is area study, I don't think it makes much sense to do another MA. That said, I do think a MA at Columbia helps you to get to a top PhD program afterwards, because I feel personal contact with professors really matters, and once you are in the top ones, you are in their circle.

I did my BA in China and MA in Sweden,that partly explains why I got rejected to many programs. I had a GPA of 3.59 for my BA, it's not high but I did a double major at the same time. My MA GPA is 3.8+, and I have GRE 162/160/4. Plus I had half year fieldwork experience, and now working on a research project at the university of my MA. I have carefully studied each program I applied to and tailored my SOP accordingly. If I have to think about a reason why I got zero acceptance yet, I would only say it's probably the relatively low GPA of my BA, and the fact that I applied from outside of U.S. But if I have the money, I would definitely go for the Master at Columbia. I guess it also looks good on your CV even if you are not aiming for a career in academia. 

Edited by angelaxu

It seems that the MA acceptances in Columbia are only for people that were rejected from the PhD directly to the MA. There are 6 or 7 in the results, not counting people that are not around here. I wonder how many spots they have for the M.A. Does anyone know?

It seems that the MA acceptances in Columbia are only for people that were rejected from the PhD directly to the MA. There are 6 or 7 in the results, not counting people that are not around here. I wonder how many spots they have for the M.A. Does anyone know?

Yes, people who applied directly to the MA find out later. I don't know how many people they admit total but my cohort was 22 people.

Why is Harvard still using postal mail, and looks like it is only for rejections? Wondering how long it will take for the rejection letters to reach international students...

Because of their illuminati connections to government agencies, and lizard people, because... the History Channel...

Or maybe they really like the band The Postal Service?

If anyone else is in a CUNY limbo (like me), I just got an email from potential POI that they aren't done admitting students yet. If you haven't been admitted or rejected, your application is still considered active...even if you don't have a high chance of getting admitted.

I feel really frustrated at the moment. I have been trying to contact a couple of graduate directors who simply won't respond to my emails, even though I know that they have been attentive to other applicants. Is anyone else dealing with this issue?

I feel really frustrated at the moment. I have been trying to contact a couple of graduate directors who simply won't respond to my emails, even though I know that they have been attentive to other applicants. Is anyone else dealing with this issue?

They are probably just fatigued. I wouldn't take it personally.

Did anyone here get accepted at NYU? Do you know if you're going to accept your offer or not? Many thanks from a nervous waitlist-ee

I didn't (sorry), but I have the same questions for anyone accepted to UW-Madison. I'm remaining hopeful that I'll get off the wait list there. I'd heart anyone who doesnt plan to accept to let them know.

<3

I didn't (sorry), but I have the same questions for anyone accepted to UW-Madison. I'm remaining hopeful that I'll get off the wait list there. I'd heart anyone who doesnt plan to accept to let them know.

<3

Would it be uncouth of me to make the same inquiry as it relates to Stanford admits? I am in waitlist purgatory, from which I hope eventually escape. :)