How should I explain interview conflict

I received an email from Vanderbilt today about an interview invite. I've been anxiously waiting for news from Vanderbilt since I submitted my app a month early and I was so excited. But the invite conflicts with both Emory and Dartmouth, who have both already bought my tickets. I am trying to send an email to Vanderbilt explaining the situation but can't seem to find the right words. I want to explore as many options as I can at this point so I would like to ask if a Skype interview is at least possible. But I'm just not sure how to. Anyone have advice?

This happened to me, somewhat, with a school (we'll say A). However, A first told me that the interview was optional, but then said an in-person interview was mandatory...so it may sound a little confusing. I was very straightforward (except the part about the schools I "preferred" -- this wasn't written to my top choice) and this made me anxious, but it was met with a warm, thoughtful response wishing me well. Details aside, here's basically what I said:

Dear X,

(thank you for inviting me sentence)

By the day that I received your initial email with your letter of invitation to interview attached, I had committed to interviews at six other programs. I was, and still am, very enthusiastic about the Neuroscience Program at A. Had I received all of my invitations to interview at the same time, I would have jumped on the opportunity to come visit A.

Unfortunately, as an applicant with big dreams for beginning her career in research, I hastily accepted all invitations to interview as I received them. I regret my naive actions deeply, as these earlier schools have crowded my schedule and inhibited my ability to visit some of the schools I would have preferred to have visited. When I did receive your letter of invitation, I was relieved to see that the interview was "optional". I suppose I took "optional" to mean something different than was intended, but I understand why your program would only accept students who have visited -- determining the "fit" of a potential student is simply best for everyone.

I am finishing up a couple projects in the lab I work in this semester, and have already exceeded the amount of time off that I planned to take. Very regrettably, I will be unable to visit A. I wish you and the program the very best with your upcoming interviews and future students.

So, instead of my last sentence, you could say that you will be unable to visit on the dates listed, but you would like to know if there are alternate dates or if Skyping is possible.  You may borrow my structure or my wording of certain things. I would advise against copying large chunks but nobody would know even if you did.

Edited by pasteltomato

This happened to me, somewhat, with a school (we'll say A). However, A first told me that the interview was optional, but then said an in-person interview was mandatory...so it may sound a little confusing. I was very straightforward (except the part about the schools I "preferred" -- this wasn't written to my top choice) and this made me anxious, but it was met with a warm, thoughtful response wishing me well. Details aside, here's basically what I said:

So, instead of my last sentence, you could say that you will be unable to visit on the dates listed, but you would like to know if there are alternate dates or if Skyping is possible.  You may borrow my structure or my wording of certain things. I would advise against copying large chunks but nobody would know even if you did.

This was so helpful! I'll definitely re-word but I get the essence of what you're saying. Thank you. I hope they'll accept this and get me a skype interview/alternate. I appreciate the advice!

No problem! I hope it works out for you. Talking to people who potentially have your delicate future in their hands is intimidating. I think I spent an hour writing that email.

Edited by pasteltomato

You might have this already figured out but I would suggest that you don't sound so anxious/apologetic and you don't have to make it sound like you like them ("A") over the other options you already committed to interviewing. My reasons for this would be:

1. It makes it sound like you are sucking up to them, which isn't really "attractive".

2. "A" should and does realise that their applicants apply to other places and they should know that it's first come first served.

If I was in your shoes, I would instead simply tell them that I would really like to interview with them but I already agreed to interview at schools X and Y on those dates. I would then ask if it was possible to interview on a different date. Keep it simple, don't apologize (it's not your fault)! Yes, even a Canadian is saying to not apologize :P

• 1 month later...

Congrats! Did you wind up getting an alternate date for Vanderbilt? Just curious.

Thank you! And yes I did get an alternate interview.  I ended up going between my two interviews, so I basically missed a full week of school between those three interviews. I didn't get to experience the whole interview weekend because of this. I wish I had but I still got to talk with some faculty I was very interested in.