Weekend for prospective students

Chubberubber

I'm an international applicant and since I've never applied to an American university before, I'm kindda vexed by the process... 

I got invited by my POI for a "weekend for prospective students", though she regretted that the department can't pay for my international travel and asked to schedule a Skype converation instead. We had the conversation (basically an interview) a few days ago and it went very well, but I'm still very unsure about the whole thing... My questions are:

1) What exactly is a "prospective students' weekend'? Is that an interview weekend?

2) Generally, what chances do people who were invited to such a weekendhave at being admitted?

3) Do applicants usually have a Skype/ phone interview before such a weekend?

4) most importantly- since I can't make it to this weekend, am I copletely ruining my chances? (Please keep in mind that my POI repeatedly said that she does not expect me to be there since it would mean paying out of pocket). 

Thanks!

1. It's likely an interview weekend, but ask them.

2. It depends. Some schools accept only a few, while others accept the majority of the recruits. You might want to ask the coordinator about this as well, or you'll be guessing forever. Or ask someone who went to that interview last year. Even then, it may vary year to year. Maybe search these forums to see if any students (domesti or international) have spoken about this particular school's interview acceptance rates.

3. Depends on the school. I know UPenn seems to do a preliminary skype before inviting for interviews, but of the schools I've been invited to none have done such. Just going to the interview.

4. I highly doubt that. You're international and they're not paying! They totally understand the expenses and wouldnt reject you because of that. The skype interview will suffice. I'm sure you'll be fine.

Thank you! That's really helpful! 

I guess what I'm worried about the most is that other applicants will have 2 days to leave an impression with program faculty and staff and I'll only have a couple of interviews to do so... But I'm probably just making myself nervous over nothing... :)  

I totally understand you! I'm in the same position - flying from Asia to the US is a wee bit too expensive so I opted for the Skype interview as well. The university said that I would be at no disadvantage because of this and I'm choosing to believe them ;)

However, I am with you and do think that spending 2 days with the people does allow to leave a deeper impression - perhaps not always positive though.

Anyway, GOOD LUCK to you!

Thanks have2thinkbouit! And good luck to you too! 

One thing I realized is probably a good idea for people in our situation, is to ask for an opportunity to have a Skype call with a graduate student or two from the program. Apparently they have quite a bit of say in the final decision, and in any case they could provide valuable information that professors might not share/ know...

One thing I realized is probably a good idea for people in our situation, is to ask for an opportunity to have a Skype call with a graduate student or two from the program. Apparently they have quite a bit of say in the final decision, and in any case they could provide valuable information that professors might not share/ know...

This would definitely be helpful if you can't participate in the more social aspects of the weekend (ex: dinner, informal get-together, etc.)

Thank you! That's really helpful! 

I guess what I'm worried about the most is that other applicants will have 2 days to leave an impression with program faculty and staff and I'll only have a couple of interviews to do so... But I'm probably just making myself nervous over nothing... :)  

I am flying from Asia to the interviews. I don't think doing it over skype will hurt your opportunities much, but I think it's worth every effort to attend, you get to see the environment, meet a lot of faculty and graduate students, participate in scheduled activities. Luckily, most schools that invited me provided to cover some of the costs. If you can get more interviews and combine the costs from each school, then you may not need to pay, or only need to pay for a portion of the tickets. Maybe you can wait a bit for some other invites to come (or maybe inquire other application statuses) before making the decision of whether to attend the prospective student weekend or not. 

I compeletly understand wht you're saying, and in an ideal world I would've done the same. Unfortunately, I only applied to one program that holds interviews and though dthey did offer t pay for the domestic portion of my travel, the international flight is still over my budget. 

In our conversation she did mention time and again that she has no expectation that I'll attened and assured me that my chances will not be negatively affected, so that calmed me down a bit. The only thing that threw me off a little is that at the same time she made sure that I know that their invitation is genuine and that they would love it if I could come.... Even though I told her I decided not to attened the weekend, I'm planning on trying to get a feel at how important it is when I talk to a couple of grad students at the program in a few days. If they'll tell me that it is very very important, I'll try and somehow find the money to fly over there (eating every day is overrated right?  ;) )

Edited by Chubberubber

That's actually a good idea! But who would you ask that question? Perhaps while speaking with the adcom?