Visit Before or After Admissions Decision?

AnxiousUrbanPlanner

If your schools are close, I'd say go for it. 

It was made fairly clear to me that my visits (which I took the initiative to arrange, but was very welcomed) were helpful to the admissions deciders. It was definitely very helpful to me, and I was able to remove one of the programs from my list after seeing how poor of a fit it was. I also got insights into the actual "feel" of the places, the people, the environment, the TA's offices (or lack thereof).. etc..

If your schools are close, I'd say go for it. 

It was made fairly clear to me that my visits (which I took the initiative to arrange, but was very welcomed) were helpful to the admissions deciders. It was definitely very helpful to me, and I was able to remove one of the programs from my list after seeing how poor of a fit it was. I also got insights into the actual "feel" of the places, the people, the environment, the TA's offices (or lack thereof).. etc..

Can I ask how this was made clear? I visited most of my prospective campuses last October and met with several POIs, I'm hoping that helps my apps but I'm still playing the waiting game...

I met with one POI beforehand, and it was a very positive experience. I learned a lot about the program, and discovered various overlapping values the POI and I both had about our field and learned about other opportunities. I used these points in my SOP about how I was a good fit for the program.

It earned me an interview, so I have no regrets! I'd say one of the most important things is that I learned that the POI's personality could "mesh" well with mine. I want graduate school to be productive and positive, not hell on earth!