Sending Updates

MyDogHasAPhD

Hi guys,

Can someone give me their opinion on this?

In the last few weeks, I've had some pretty solid opportunities arise for my Spring semester that would definitely strengthen my teaching experience (tutoring other undergraduates in psych courses and teaching refugees English as a second language, as well as other cultural components of life through my job). Because I had little teaching experience to put on my CV at the time my applications were due, do you think it would be a good idea to send an update to my POIs letting them know that I will be having these opportunities prior to becoming enrolled in graduate school? Also, do you think it is a good idea to send an update on GPA? Transcripts were sent before Fall grades posted. In my case, it pumped my Psych GPA up from a 3.86 to a 3.91 so not anything major but still something.

Thanks!

I wouldn't email to update them because 1. you haven't completed these teaching experiences yet 2. teaching isn't that important, especially relative to research, presentations, publications, etc when it comes to admisssions.

I would guess that a .05 increase in GPA wouldn't significantly help you, at this point. Plus, 3.86 is already more than solid for most schools.

Maybe contact the admin folks, not your POI. If it's standard procedure for them to push through updates to the faculty, then they will know how to handle it. I don't know how much good it would do to email a researcher directly about a month of new experiences, unless they're very relevant to what you are proposing to study.

Well I spoke to one of my POIs at length last week over the phone. She did talk to me about how she trains people to teach in academia and to become researchers. I had no teaching on my CV but plenty of research. Maybe I should just send the update to her since I know she is at least some what interested in working with me?

Well I spoke to one of my POIs at length last week over the phone. She did talk to me about how she trains people to teach in academia and to become researchers. I had no teaching on my CV but plenty of research. Maybe I should just send the update to her since I know she is at least some what interested in working with me?

That seems safe

I swear after this process I'm going to write the unspoken rules for applying to Psych PhD programs. So much uncertainty!

The problem is that everyone is different. Some POIs applauded me for contacting them before applying, but others sent a form e-mail back telling me they were accepting students and that they wouldnt engage in any further communication in order to keep admissions unbiased. Knowing all the ins and out would be great, though. Boy, "etiquette" has never mattered so much.

The problem is that everyone is different. Some POIs applauded me for contacting them before applying, but others sent a form e-mail back telling me they were accepting students and that they wouldnt engage in any further communication in order to keep admissions unbiased. Knowing all the ins and out would be great, though. Boy, "etiquette" has never mattered so much.

Ain't that the truth?

I think I'll just stick with letting the POI that I've been in pretty regular communication with know. She's pretty receptive to email communication and has actually checked in with me a few times so I'm hoping that it will be received well. Maybe I'll skip on the others. Thanks for your input guys!

Edited by MyDogHasAPhD

Keep in mind that just because the POI replies that they don't want to engage in conversation with applicants prior to interviews, it doesn't mean that you broke any etiquette rules. I had an interaction like that, and I still ended up getting an invitation to the interview weekend. I think they just say that to be fair, and to let you know that they're not just mean and freezing you out.

Keep in mind that just because the POI replies that they don't want to engage in conversation with applicants prior to interviews, it doesn't mean that you broke any etiquette rules. I had an interaction like that, and I still ended up getting an invitation to the interview weekend. I think they just say that to be fair, and to let you know that they're not just mean and freezing you out.

True. I didnt feel like I was in the wrong, just saying that everyone prefers different things. In fact a different professor at the same university last year e-mailed me back to get more info about my research. So it must be a personal thing rather than a department thing.

I wouldn't email to update them because 1. you haven't completed these teaching experiences yet 2. teaching isn't that important, especially relative to research, presentations, publications, etc when it comes to admisssions.

Second this, especially point 1. Succeeding at these things is an achievement, getting the chance to do them is not. (to be blunt)

To your every question: yes. It won't hurt, and will remind them of your profile at the very least. 

I disagree that it couldn't hurt; it could make the OP look like they're grasping at straws for things to add.