Should I change one of my recommenders

My recommendations from one professor are now between 5-10 days late. I've emailed several reminders (2 personal emails and 3 reminders from the app website). This professor is also participating in a study abroad program, so I can't stop by his office to remind him. I've emailed his department to find out if he has another email address to use, but he does not. So now my question is, how long do I wait, and how many reminders do I send, before I ask someone new? Help!

First of all, sorry :( that sucks. I would ask someone else RIGHT NOW -- even if your writer comes through, it can't hurt to have an extra letter; if your writer doesn't come through, you'll have the required amount. Good luck!!

I think it depends a lot on how much need this professor's specific recommendation. Are you certain his recommendation will be very strong (stronger than another, more available professor's)? Is this professor someone who you "must have" as a recommender (i.e- he was your thesis advisor)? Is this professor really well known and respected in your field?

If the answer to either one of these questions is yes, I would advise you to try and get a hold of him in every possible way. Maybe your current school could give you his work number at the abroad university his at? A carrier pidgeon? ;) 

If the answer to all of the above questions is no, then move on to the next possible recommender...  Assuming, ofcourse that the programs you're applying to told you they really need those LORs ASAP (surprisingly, some programs are pretty lax about when LORs arrive...)

Hope that helps!

First of all, sorry :( that sucks. I would ask someone else RIGHT NOW -- even if your writer comes through, it can't hurt to have an extra letter; if your writer doesn't come through, you'll have the required amount. Good luck!!

I agree completely. The fact that the letter is already late with no correction in the foreseeable future makes me think you should look for another writer. If he/she comes through, then no harm done, but if not, you don't want to be without one of your required letters. Being short a letter that causes your application not to be considered seems worse than a late letter from a person who may not know you as well. I would also double check with the schools specifically, and ask how long after the deadline they will accept a late letter. If you can afford to wait, fine. If not, you need to start looking asap.

Thanks for the advice! I guess the only reason I'm holding on is that I have one employer rec and the other 2 are in my field. If I lose this guy, I'll only be able to have in my field. My dept was huge and it was difficult to get to know professors (and many of my best classes were taught by PhD candidates). So my question now is, do I ask someone from my second major, or another employer? 

Depends on the quality of the recommendation. What you want is the best recommendation you can get. Now, for professional programs, employer recs are a good thing. But an employer rec that just says "AmandaLeigh worked here and was a hard worker. She did what we asked her to do." isn't going to get you very far. Figure out who can write you the most positive recommendation and ask that person.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I'm in a similar position. I want to send my professor another reminder email, but I have no idea what to say. Any advice?

Also, if I decide to ask another professor, should I make her aware of the situation? Should I tell her that my last writer backed out at the last minute?

Edited by timberlake