Preparing for the worse.

Yuanyang

Not all of those programs are in neuroscience, but maybe you can answer something else that I'm still unclear on. If I do a Masters in a life science field (there are a lot of names for them) that is not neuroscience/neurobiology and doesn't have that kind of focus, will it matter? Will a 4.0 GPA in that program have any value in a future PhD? is there some flexibly in life sciences? I'm seeing conflicting information from the people I've sent PM.

I will be going into biophysics with almost no physics or biology background (mostly pure math, with computational biology/bioinformatics research). I think you'll be absolutely fine going from biology to neuroscience (an infinitely more "traditional" transition). You have (former) PI's who have suggested that you look into grad school. Without knowing you at all, I would think you got some great recommendations. I highly doubt a PI would encourage you to look into PhD programs if s/he didn't think you could succeed in one. 

Maybe you're selling yourself (hey, it's the internet after all, right?), but you look like you're the complete package with one gaping hole that is your GPA (two holes if you count the fact that you're a big meanie and would probably blow all of your interviews). If you get a 4.0 in a masters program, you'd be an exceptional applicant. Based on your academic record so far, you should be realistic about the grades you'll be able to manage in a masters program. If you're not going to be able to get a masters GPA that can reassure graduate programs that you'll pass all of your courses, you shouldn't bother.

That being said, your GPA is a major red flag even for masters programs. If this is your dream, you're going to have to pay for it (you're not going to get any grants with that GPA).

Not all of those programs are in neuroscience, but maybe you can answer something else that I'm still unclear on. If I do a Masters in a life science field (there are a lot of names for them) that is not neuroscience/neurobiology and doesn't have that kind of focus, will it matter? Will a 4.0 GPA in that program have any value in a future PhD? is there some flexibly in life sciences? I'm seeing conflicting information from the people I've sent PM.

Many life science fields are overlapped so if you get a master's degree in a field that's not explicitly neuroscience but a life science with similar research or focus, I don't see why that should matter in the long-term for your neuroscience pursuits. As for your question regarding whether a 4.0 GPA in that program will have any value in a future PhD, yes, of course it will (certainly a lot more value than your undergrad GPA).

I'd also recommend you to show a minimal gratitude from time to time towards us for taking time to help you, rather than replying with a jerk-like statement "since even a Kavli prize winning professor can't give me a good advice, now I have to rely on you internet people". If that's how you feel than you shouldn't be asking us for help at all.

Edited by UnagiForever

Going back and reading through this, 1) You likely didn't make min. cutoffs for the programs you applied to. 2) If your attitude in real life is anything like on this message board, your LORs may have been the nail in the coffin.

I'm also deeply concerned that you aren't able to find a new tech position. Based on what you've stated about your work history, and network, you should have found a new job before you were even let go....

Edited by ballwera

Thank you for reiterating stuff brought up at the very beginning of the thread.

Right now, I've started applying to MS programs in Biology and Bioinformatics but I'm still looking for program suggestions (and a real thanks to people who actually did). Correct me if i'm wrong, an MS degree in biological sciences is my best option right now if I want to get to (any sort of, but not top tier) PhD program in neuroscience. Thus, the plan is to apply to as many as possible for Fall 2015, and I'll sort it out if anyone will take me. From what I gather, even if its just coursework, an MS should (but not always will) help improve a really bad undergrad GPA. 

For everyone who've posted here, while I appreciate this shower of cold hard truth, I think you guys are getting sick of me. So I hope that soon, when the results are in, there will be other people who will come here to get the same great advice on what to do when all your efforts applying to PhD programs goes through the toilet bowl.

I'll update when I get my last rejections, when I do find a program, or when you need guys some easy rep on this forum.

Just an FYI, when you ask for advice on the Internet, you open yourself up to helpful and not so helpful suggestions. Pointing out the ones you don't find helpful makes you seem extremely rude. If you only want advice from certain people, ask them. Don't post an open thread.

You live, learn, and lurk.

Still, is it hard to read past the OP? its only 6 pages.

People put considerable time and effort into giving advice, whether you think they did or not. They took time to type something they thought you would find helpful. Calling them out for not saying what you want makes people less likely to give you constructive advice. How would you feel if you took the time to read 6 pages, gave your thoughts, and then OP basically told you it was useless??

It's similar to lab stuff. You slave over some data, hand it to your PI, and then they go "haha, this is awful!" It's not a good feeling and makes the person less likely to put that much time in again.

You've also named some professors by name, so you could reasonably be identified by someone. What you post on the Internet can and will come back to haunt you. Being rude to people on the Internet is the same as in real life.

/end rant

You live, learn, and lurk.

Still, is it hard to read past the OP? its only 6 pages.

I hate to resort to saying this but at this point I am almost certain that your d*****bag attitude was part of the reason that prevented you from getting into any grad programs in the first place. Even if you get admitted somewhere, I truly feel sorry for the advisor who will have to bear with a truly immature and a hostile person like you for two or more years (or even less, if the advisor decides he/she cannot handle a disrespectful student like you any longer).

Oh and for the record, we have read past OP, but since you love treating others' advice as a series of useless junk, reprimands are what you'll hear for the most of the part at this point.

Edited by UnagiForever

People put considerable time and effort into giving advice, whether you think they did or not. They took time to type something they thought you would find helpful. Calling them out for not saying what you want makes people less likely to give you constructive advice. How would you feel if you took the time to read 6 pages, gave your thoughts, and then OP basically told you it was useless??

It's similar to lab stuff. You slave over some data, hand it to your PI, and then they go "haha, this is awful!" It's not a good feeling and makes the person less likely to put that much time in again.

You've also named some professors by name, so you could reasonably be identified by someone. What you post on the Internet can and will come back to haunt you. Being rude to people on the Internet is the same as in real life.

/end rant

Its a big lab. 

But really, big help everyone.

Edited by Yuanyang

Its a big lab. 

But really, big help everyone.

I'm not sure if that was a genuine gratitude or a pure sarcasm, but you appear to be completely clueless about ERR_Alpha's main point.

Here is an advice - if you hate the feeling that people are getting sick of you, try to write polite posts or replies with better attitude that could prompt a more constructive response. It's really no brainer.

Edited by UnagiForever

I don't know if there is anymore advice that we can give you. You know what you have to do. You say you want to be a tenure track faculty member and that you are not interested in industry. The biggest issue for you is your Undergrad GPA. You can't do anything about the GPA now so you have to do a masters or a Post-bacc. Since you've been out school for a while I don't think you will qualify for most post-baccs. That leaves a Masters. You have 2 options: a coursework based masters or a thesis based masters. The latter will help you more in grad school admissions. With your uGPA you are not getting funded for the masters unless you know the PI you want to work with. That means at least 50-60K in student loans. After you've completed your masters you are going to have to be selective to where you apply. You can't apply only to top tier schools this time. You're going to have to apply to some less competitive programs. I would also suggest applying to Umbrella programs as their admission standards seem to be less strict than straight neuro programs. All you need is one school to accept you that you are willing to go to. You have a long road ahead of you but other students have been accepted into grad programs with sub-3.0 GPA's (there's a thread on it). The other option that I suggested earlier in the thread is industry. Your uGPA won't matter as much. Med schools like Stanford/Davis/UCSF/USC/UCLA always have SRA positions open. There are more jobs in the bay area for biotech than on the east coast.

• 1 month later...

It's april and my only admit letter comes from Georga Tech to the "professional MS in Bioinformatics". I dont know if it's the best path to take, but as of now its the only path forward.

Unless someone has a better idea (I know you do).

It's april and my only admit letter comes from Georga Tech to the "professional MS in Bioinformatics". I dont know if it's the best path to take, but as of now its the only path forward.

As I see it, you have two options. Do what Ted Binksy said, or try to find a lab tech job. But since you talked about the difficulty you've had with that, the Masters may be a better option.

Unless you want to re-apply next cycle this is your only path forward. I looked up the program, it looks good on paper. While there is no thesis requirement it seems as though a lot of the students do research, which I would start looking at Day 1. If you choose to go there, start emailing faculty you like that you are interested in doing research with them. The most important thing for you is going to be the grades, you are going to have to work you ass off. IF you do well in the coursework that should be enough to make the difference come phd application time..

Good Luck!