Article on the Decline of the English Major

You're teasing me? :P

Lol, no actually.  Though looking back, it was a goofy post.  It's just awkward when you post something and then see that someone has addressed similar things while you were writing your post and I wanted to express gratitude and comradery.  (I'm also tired from a long day of work and writing super goofily today)

not too relevant, but the problem of the canon is gaining popularity (kinda) as a research area. I'm working in a field that's extremely closely related (to the point that I have to read the work on the history of canonisation too). So hopefully we can get somewhere with this and help out

Lol, no actually.  Though looking back, it was a goofy post.  It's just awkward when you post something and then see that someone has addressed similar things while you were writing your post and I wanted to express gratitude and comradery.  (I'm also tired from a long day of work and writing super goofily today)

Ha! I was the one teasing, really. :)

I know we're off the topic of being bankrolled by parents/partners already but I thought this recent Salon piece was a great, clear-eyed takedown of the romantic "follow your dream" trope.

“Sponsored” by my husband: Why it’s a problem that writers never talk about where their money comes from

I know we're off the topic of being bankrolled by parents/partners already but I thought this recent Salon piece was a great, clear-eyed takedown of the romantic "follow your dream" trope.

“Sponsored” by my husband: Why it’s a problem that writers never talk about where their money comes from

That was a great article 1Q84, thanks for posting it. I had a creative writing teacher (who later became a good friend of mine) who refuses to acknowledge how much her husband's income and family money allows her the ability and time to write. Not to mention writer residency programs and other things that seem to cost tons of money, but provide those elusive "connections" one seems to need in the publishing industry. Of course, I could just be bitter since I found it hard to even find the inspiration to write the required poems/stories/plays that didn't, in some way, involve serious poverty.