Teachers College 2015

nyed4

waiting and waiting for my admissions decision. It is taking SO long. Hoping that I get it by the upcoming Friday. I am lurking and lurking on the site and seeing everyone's experiences. I am happy for y'all and I just wish I could get my responses. Good luck to us all. I am waiting for a response to the HPSE program. 

Hey, you should get your "award letter" sometimes next week. They're pretty quick. Funding depends on your program (I'm History and Education, it's a very small program so they had more funding possibilities than for bigger programs). Generally, it looks like you shouldn't expect much help from TC. You can call the Office of Financial Aid for more details. 

Do you think it's worth going to teacher's college with little to no funding? Obviously you decided to go but I was wondering about your reasoning.

Do you think it's worth going to teacher's college with little to no funding? Obviously you decided to go but I was wondering about your reasoning.

guess it depends on the field but have you seen the reports on the career services page?

http://www.tc.columbia.edu/careerservices/

some of the data are quite worrisome. For doctorate degrees, it doesn't look too bad, in my opinion.

But it shows that it's not worth going there for masters.. Especially when the data shows university 'TA' as a form of employment.... gah-- TA is not a regular job..People are probably supply-teaching and they are considered as employed on this data. Just came across "intern" as a job title... jesus!

If you don't have enough funding from TC, it's better to go to a school with full funding (I'm talking about a doctoral program). Some doctoral students drop out or transfer to a cheaper school in the middle of the program because of the costs. Quality of faculty members at TC is high (this may depends on the field) but it's just too expensive to go without funding. In addition, if your department is large, you are less likely to work with your adviser and publish papers in peer-reviewed journals. It is even difficult to get an RA/TA job.

For master's programs, if your program is professional degree program and you are interested in pursuing a career outside of research, I would recommend you go to a cheaper school. I wouldn't think it matters whether you graduate from TC or CUNY or a local state school if you eventually work as a classroom teacher or school counselor. It is not worth it. If you plan to apply for a doctoral program or pursue a career in research after finishing the master's program, it may not be a bad choice to go to TC but you may want to consider the cost-effectiveness. 

If you don't have enough funding from TC, it's better to go to a school with full funding (I'm talking about a doctoral program). Some doctoral students drop out or transfer to a cheaper school in the middle of the program because of the costs. Quality of faculty members at TC is high (this may depends on the field) but it's just too expensive to go without funding. In addition, if your department is large, you are less likely to work with your adviser and publish papers in peer-reviewed journals. It is even difficult to get an RA/TA job.

For master's programs, if your program is professional degree program and you are interested in pursuing a career outside of research, I would recommend you go to a cheaper school. I wouldn't think it matters whether you graduate from TC or CUNY or a local state school if you eventually work as a classroom teacher or school counselor. It is not worth it. If you plan to apply for a doctoral program or pursue a career in research after finishing the master's program, it may not be a bad choice to go to TC but you may want to consider the cost-effectiveness. 

Thanks for the information. TC is the only program I've been accepted to so far. I've been waitlisted at two others. I guess my question is should I go to TC this year with little to no funding or roll the dice and reapply next year with the hope of more funding from another school. I feel like I was pretty close this year and maybe another year with more lab experience could help me get into more schools but I could also not get in anywhere next year.

Yes, I've decided to go because they're funding me for the next 3 years. They're paying for most tuition, but not all of it. They offered me a position as a research assistant that covers the rest, and then there's a stipend. I also have a Fulbright scholarship from my home country, which will help a lot. New York is very expensive. 

It wasn't supposed to be like this at first, but I told my department that I couldn't go without funding. Emails went back and forth and they made their final offer 2 weeks after I got the acceptance letter. Again, it's because it's a very small program. Maybe they have 2 or 3 doctoral students coming every year, but I wouldn't be surprised if I was the only one. You should really break down the cost of your education, and maybe talk to current students. I come from France, and the idea of being in debt to get an education was really counter-intuitive for me. I don't think I would've ended up going without full funding.  

@NChaku - If you want to go to a doctoral program, I would suggest that you go to a school that offers you a guaranteed four-five year full funding. If you think you were close, it would be much better to wait for another year. You may get admission offers with full funding from comparable schools or mid-ranking state schools. If TC doesn't offer you anything, consider it as a rejection not as an admission offer (TC's brand name is appealing but be realistic). There are many good state schools that would offer you better deals, assuming that you are one of the best candidates. You don't want to graduate with a lot of debt unless you go to industry after the program and earn $150K or more annually.  

Edited by nashville0808

Yay, last school I've been waiting on. Accepted to the Master's in Higher and Postsecondary Education. No word on funding yet though : /  not looking good.

edit: Admitted Student Weekend from April 10-11.

Edited by higheredhopeful

Yay, last school I've been waiting on. Accepted to the Master's in Higher and Postsecondary Education. No word on funding yet though : /  not looking good.

Did they send you a link to "admitted student portal"? I think you should find their financial offer there.

It took a bit of time for me to receive the link to admitted student portal with updated financial offer

Did they send you a link to "admitted student portal"? I think you should find their financial offer there.

It took a bit of time for me to receive the link to admitted student portal with updated financial offer

Yeah, I did see that link and looked through the portal. Under "Financial Aid Information" in "Next Steps," it just says "You will be notified via email when a financial aid package is available for your review." 

Holy Moly! Just found out that I got into Teachers College! just saw a random email in my inbox, which had been sitting there for HOURS! lol Wow! Amazing!  Grateful and Thankful!

Congrats :) !

Me too! How exciting! 

Hi there! I am curious about why many people in this thread have commented that one should not go to TC to become a public school teacher but should go to pursue a doctorate. Are we assuming that the preparation needed to be a public school teacher is not important or does not warrant the same level of prestige or quality? I think I am also sad about the expression "just going to end up as a public school teacher" as if one can really put the word "just" in front of one of the most complex, difficult and meaningful careers this country offers.

I am a public school teacher & a product of the M.A. in Elementary Education at TC. I believe my program was a dream. It wasn't so granular like other programs but rather, provided me a way to think about education, about my role in the field as a teacher and about students as human beings. I met some of the strongest, most passionate people in the field in my cohort and more than a decade later I am happy to say that each one of them is an incredible teacher-leader. Many of them are classroom teachers while teaching at local universities, running professional development, blogging nationally and having a big impact. Others are successfully running education nonprofits here and abroad, serving in positions at state departments of education as well as the federal DOE.

In other words, we all had an incredible start to wonderful careers. We learned how to reflect on our practice, how to integrate subjects in a meaningful way and how to look at curriculm as a way to impact the individual child and society as a whole. Our professors all had years and years of actual classroom experience as public school teachers and had published leading books in the field.

I have been teaching for over a decade in NY, CA and now Virginia. I have met teachers who have been to state schools, Ivy Leagues and alternative preparation programs. I have also been a mentor and supervising teacher for several universities. TC stands out. Granted, I have met so many wonderful teachers who have come out of different preparation programs. I am definitely not saying TC is the only answer. But, everyday, I miss my TC cohort of deep thinkers and reflective practitioners who thought of education as a way to impact the world.

In fact, I miss it so much that I have applied to the EdD at Teachers College BECAUSE of my incredible experience in my M.A. program. I have not applied anywhere else because I have not found another place that balances theory and practice in the same way.

I know that money is a huge issue for all of us and choosing a program is a tough decision. But whether you decide to be a teacher or pursue a different path, we should still look for the highest quality.

Please excuse the typos. I read this thread and was so upset about the mischaracterization of teacher education at TC that I had to type this all on my phone.

Edited by DHC

Hi there! I am curious about why many people in this thread have commented that one should not go to TC to become a public school teacher but should go to pursue a doctorate. Are we assuming that the preparation needed to be a public school teacher is not important or does not warrant the same level of prestige or quality? I think I am also sad about the expression "just going to end up as a public school teacher" as if one can really put the word "just" in front of one of the most complex, difficult and meaningful careers this country offers.

I loved my experience at TC for non-quantifiable reasons and understand where you're coming from. But if you look at grad school as means to an end (which, to many people here, is getting hired as an elementary / secondary teacher), an expensive Ivy League degree will lead to the same outcome as a degree from a reputable state school and will save you a lot of money in the process. And once you're all teachers in the same school...I don't think it really matters if you went to Columbia or Penn State or University of Nebraska, etc. 

I applied for several, very competitive doctoral programs this year, many of whom reported selecting just 5 students from a pool of 400+. So in that case - yes, an Ivy League degree probably helps. Universities are (not so surprisingly) conscientious about their own hierarchies.  

@DHC - I would say that the reason why TC graduates are great is that they were selected by TC at the admission stage. This means that they were, "on average," already great at that time so whether they go to TC or not may not matter much in terms of their future job performance.They would perform well in their current job even if they had gone to a local state school. Of course, one would have some valuable experience at TC but he or she may also have similar experience at a different school with a lot lower cost. There are many teacher-prep programs in the nation that are comparable to or better than TC but cost much less. One clear difference between TC (and other expensive schools) and other prep-programs is its brand. It sometimes matters when you first start looking for a job but that brand effect will eventually fade away as you accumulate job experience.

I loved my experience at TC for non-quantifiable reasons and understand where you're coming from. But if you look at grad school as means to an end (which, to many people here, is getting hired as an elementary / secondary teacher), an expensive Ivy League degree will lead to the same outcome as a degree from a reputable state school and will save you a lot of money in the process. And once you're all teachers in the same school...I don't think it really matters if you went to Columbia or Penn State or University of Nebraska, etc. 

I applied for several, very competitive doctoral programs this year, many of whom reported selecting just 5 students from a pool of 400+. So in that case - yes, an Ivy League degree probably helps. Universities are (not so surprisingly) conscientious about their own hierarchies.

I am glad you had a wonderful experience at TC as well. I guess that for me, I never look at any experience as just a means to an end. I always want to have the best experience possible. Yes, I wanted to be an elementary school teacher but I wanted the year or two it took to prepare for that to be the best they could possibly be - because being a teacher (in my mind) demands that.

But if people are only looking at the "will this credential simply get me a job" approach, that is a totally different story. For me, teaching was way too important to simply "get through" my program. But I do understand that we all have different goals and for what we do and that the goal impacts our decision greatly. Everyone has to make the decision that best fits their circumstances and goals. I just cringe when people make comments about "just being a public school teacher" as if that were lower than other careers. If this is what people in education think about teachers then we are in trouble!

@DHC - I would say that the reason why TC graduates are great is that they were selected by TC at the admission stage. This means that they were, "on average," already great at that time so whether they go to TC or not may not matter much in terms of their future job performance.They would perform well in their current job even if they had gone to a local state school. Of course, one would have some valuable experience at TC but he or she may also have similar experience at a different school with a lot lower cost. There are many teacher-prep programs in the nation that are comparable to or better than TC but cost much less. One clear difference between TC (and other expensive schools) and other prep-programs is its brand. It sometimes matters when you first start looking for a job but that brand effect will eventually fade away as you accumulate job experience.

I definitely agree with you that my colleagues at TC were selected because they were already passionate, determined and focused. That's why I was surprised to see others say that TC accepted everybody just to get their money. I definitely didn't think that given the achievements and caliber of my classmates. But, for me, and for my colleagues, being around a group of energetic and motivated classmates was a HUGE dea for us. I believe that our experiences are greatly influenced by our peers and I know that my wondeful memories are in part due to the incredible conversations, late night study sessions and co-planning with other student teachers. Whether it's an academic program, a new school where I will teach or a neighborhood, I always focus on WHO will be there with me. When I have chosen my teaching positions, I always find out more about the staff because I know that I will have a better experience if they are all focused an passionate teacher leaders.

And I definitely agree that there are a many wonderful programs throughout the country. After living in VA for a while, I have learned that some state programs definitely trump others in terms of how their graduates fare in the classroom. I would be heartbroken if I thought TC was the only place to go. We need all programs to be top-notch because our students deserve that. But I have also seen so many sad teacher prep programs - 6 weeks in the summer, classes taught by people who have taught for a year or two or who haven't seen the inside of a school in decades, etc...

I agree that brand effect fades. But, for me, going to TC was never about brand, but rather, about the incredible experience itself and how it would shape my teaching.

So, like I said in my reply above, we all have to think about our purpose and goals in choosing a program. Each person will have to make their own choice based on what fits their present situation and future goals. I just wanted to share my experience because there were so many negative comments from people had never actually been through a teacher prep program at TC and were basing their opinion on what other people said in passing.

"That's why I was surprised to see others say that TC accepted everybody just to get their money".

@DHC- I hear what you're saying about the crappy teacher education programs out there, but...

I think with TC you have to look at each department/program.  I have a close relative who graduated from a TC PhD program decades ago, went on to be an excellent classroom teacher and BEMOANED the quality of recent alumni.  He saw, as a teacher, that some of TC's departments were accepting colleagues of his who were quite bad (scant lesson plans, classrooms that were loaded with decorations and had minimal content etc.).  All of these colleagues were part-time TC students, who still "taught" full-time.  In all their ineptitude, they would brag about attending TC *cringe*.  There IS the diploma mill element.  Thankfully, that wasn't your experience.  Perhaps your department had a selective admissions filter (and I think the program I'm applying to does as well).  But, when a school's enrollment is 5x everybody else's (and ballooned to that in a ~6 year period), one can't fully discount the "accepting everybody" accusations.  

*In 2006, TC had about 1,000 students, by 2012 it had about 5,000.  Incidentally, those years coincided with my relative's complaints and the school's drop in the ratings.  

It's important for prospective students to realize that just because a school is more expensive, it won't necessarily be a better option.  Sometimes it CAN be (e.g. your experience and hopefully mine).  I think the intent of these discussions is to increase awareness ("Hey, check out this local program.  It's cheaper, you get more hands-on experience and the quality is the same"), not to demean classroom teaching.

Edited by Chai_latte

Does anyone have any experience with the IED program sat TC? I'm a high school teacher right now and got accepted into that program. However, I see myself in the future as working in an NGO or somewhere in the United Nations. I've heard about the diploma mill and it's a little discouraging to read so much negative feedback about the school. I'm wondering if anyone has information about the IED program specifically. Thank you!

Does anyone have any experience with the IED program sat TC? I'm a high school teacher right now and got accepted into that program. However, I see myself in the future as working in an NGO or somewhere in the United Nations. I've heard about the diploma mill and it's a little discouraging to read so much negative feedback about the school. I'm wondering if anyone has information about the IED program specifically. Thank you!

I am a graduate of the IED MA program and was recently accepted to the Ph.D. program. TC is an expensive school and its worth really depends on what your long term ambitions are. I think it is great for a career in Academia (I was suprisingly accepted to 4 Ph.D. programs from top-notch schools, I believe primarily due to my TC masters degree) and if you are trying to move into a career in the non-governmental sector, TC will provide you with a great amount of internship opportunities.

From my experience the IED program is strong and there are some top-notch professors. The whole diploma-mill talk is really department-dependent. I don't feel the IED program falls in this category. I am not sure, however, if TC is worth 40k/year asking price.

I am a graduate of the IED MA program and was recently accepted to the Ph.D. program. TC is an expensive school and its worth really depends on what your long term ambitions are. I think it is great for a career in Academia (I was suprisingly accepted to 4 Ph.D. programs from top-notch schools, I believe primarily due to my TC masters degree) and if you are trying to move into a career in the non-governmental sector, TC will provide you with a great amount of internship opportunities.

From my experience the IED program is strong and there are some top-notch professors. The whole diploma-mill talk is really department-dependent. I don't feel the IED program falls in this category. I am not sure, however, if TC is worth 40k/year asking price.

That is immensely helpful. Thank you! I agree, I think the "diploma mill" probably varies by department. In terms of finances, I am applying for financial aid and they gave me a $9,000 scholarship. My parents have my college fund (got a full scholarship for my undergrad) so hopefully I wouldn't be paying too much or taking out loans. Still waiting to hear back from NYU Steinhardt for their IE program. Great to hear about internship opportunities as well.