Boren 2015 - 2016

triscuit

Thank you :) My anxiety has been rising as we get closer to the announcement date. This has to be the longest application process I have ever experienced. 

The worst part is having people, who have supported and helped you throughout this process, constantly asking you about the results. :unsure:

Hi abcd! What are you interested in learning about in Brazil? I talked about international crime -- I want to study in Rio and Florianopolis, so the locations aren't terribly creative. I'm planning to delay graduation if I get the Boren, which makes the late April deadline killer. I'm going to have to turn down a job offer this Friday to keep waiting until we hear back. The Boren is my first choice, but it's making me nervous because I have to pass up other opportunities..

Edited by Mackin

T-minus 9 days, friends.

Here's hoping!  I'm already driving myself crazy trying not to e-mail the other fellowships I've applied for, asking when results will be announced.  I know objectively that it's pointless to email people before the stated notification date, but try telling that to me while I'm refreshing my inbox every 5 minutes!

Hi Mack,

I'm interested in drug trafficking in Brazil since it borders the 3 largest cocaine producers. I want to study in São Paulo... hopefully I can avoid most of the foreigners when the Olympics come around :/ 

I got the CLS for Turkish studies and had to turn that down for something else, so I understand how that feels. If only we can have more time to decide... I can't stop thinking about it. It's gotten to the point where I dream about it lol

I just want the results so I can plan my end of the year LOL I usually plan ahead but I have to wait a couple of more weeks to see where I will go. 

I know! I am trying to plan out the rest of my undergraduates...

But I keep reminding myself that there are thousands of applications and it takes a while to review them all. 

Hi all. I just found this forum by Googling. Actually, after I ended up reading the forum from a few years ago, I put 2015 in and ended here. From the forum a few years ago, I saw comments from a current Boren fellow that I contacted for advice. She did not get the fellowship that year despite having contact with the office when she needed to redo her program. I could almost feel the disappointment in her post as she voices that she hopes that things will work out and she will come off the alternate list. I know that she didn't. But the next year she received the fellowship. I'm going to use this as inspiration. If at first you don't succeed...

There is no hard feelings for the April Fools joke right? Haha, we're almost there people! 

i actually, everyone here hates you. TOTALLY KIDDING, I think we are all on edge about this, to be honest, i am not as excited anymore, or obsessed, if you will. After I have to change my program and country and the news that budget emails do not really have any direct significance anymore kind of discouraged me. Oh well, all I can do is wait for a couple of weeks and find out where I will end up at the end of this year : ) no matter what, I will take the route that I have always wanted.

Is anyone taking classes this semester, how is that going?

i actually, everyone here hates you. TOTALLY KIDDING, I think we are all on edge about this, to be honest, i am not as excited anymore, or obsessed, if you will. After I have to change my program and country and the news that budget emails do not really have any direct significance anymore kind of discouraged me. Oh well, all I can do is wait for a couple of weeks and find out where I will end up at the end of this year : ) no matter what, I will take the route that I have always wanted.

Is anyone taking classes this semester, how is that going?

I feel like a zombie. We only have 2 weeks left of school and I am just floating around, going through the motions haha. It also dosen't help that I am like- can I get an answer? When I get my acceptance I will be able to breathe a little easier knowing I want have to look for a jobby right away!

Tomorrow starts the 1 in 5 chance we will get an email!

It is coming this week, guys. And every day of not getting the email the odds get greater that we will get it the next day.

Is anyone else really glad April's almost halfway through?  I totally forgot what a horrible waiting game this month is.  Last time I felt this way, was senior year of high school waiting for college admission letters.  It's hard not knowing where in the world you're going to be next year!

Next week is going to be tough- even though I know we aren't likely to hear on Monday, I'm still going to be checking my e-mail constantly!  Fingers crossed for Friday!

Full year or semester program? I'm interested in drug trafficking as well, particularly since many groups that traffic drugs also traffic people or dabble in other crimes. I can speak Spanish and but I don't have a background in Portuguese, so I'm worried the language portion will hurt my application. Fingers crossed! Hopefully we will both be in Brazil next year. 

Full year or semester program? I'm interested in drug trafficking as well, particularly since many groups that traffic drugs also traffic people or dabble in other crimes. I can speak Spanish and but I don't have a background in Portuguese, so I'm worried the language portion will hurt my application. Fingers crossed! Hopefully we will both be in Brazil next year. 

Same, I speak Spanish as well! I am practicing Portuguese now with native speakers. It's a lot easier to read and write than to speak. Did you get evaluated by a language professor just in case? 

I applied for a full year. How about you?

Edited by abcdefghi123