PhD --> MBA

dherres

Hi all,

I'm about to start a PhD program in industrial/organizational psychology. For fun, I've toyed with the idea of pursuing an MBA upon completion (projecting years into the future!). The two fields are somewhat related; lots of B-schools offer programs in organizational behaviour, I know. I'm curious, though, coupled with the work experience in an internship and consulting-type projects that are required for my program, would holding a PhD give a boost in admission to an MBA program in one of the better-ranked schools (think Berkeley)?

Thanks!

I really don't know much about this, but there are joint programs (or you can make a joint program yourself if your university allows) and it can be done. I have a friend who is doing just that, a joint PhD MBA because it will really help him get to where he wants to go.

Anyway, I suppose the thing to do would be to talk to people once you get to school to figure out how it works. They can be done simultaneously, might be hard, but doable.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it practical to get an MBA degree without any background in business? A friend said that without any background in business, getting an MBA is not very practical or useful. It seems that having some background helps you learn the material a lot better when you are getting the degree?

keyword research ~ keyword tool ~ keyword tracking ~ affiliate elite

What are your long-term goals?

I know people who get an MBA and then later apply for a PhD because they become interested in research through their MBA classes. I also know of one PhD program that allows students to get an MBA while in the program.

I have never heard of anyone getting a PhD first then an MBA, and frankly I can't imagine why you would do that. If you want to end up in industry, a PhD -- a research degree -- probably isn't worth your time. If you are really interested in research, the MBA won't impress anybody.

And, as someone pointed out above, the admissions criteria are totally different: it is hard to get into an MBA program with no business background.

Thanks for the replies. Something like a M. of Human Resources hadn't really occurred to me. I'll look a bit more into it further down the road.

SocialPsych: Yes, I'm looking at going into industry, although I do enjoy the research work that a PhD entails. In my field, though, a lot of jobs require a PhD as a minimum qualification (working as a consultant for an external company, for example); it's an applied subdiscipline of psych (as I'm sure you know). After I posted this, actually, I mentioned the idea to one of the I/O psych consultants at a firm where I had been interning; she said she was thinking of doing it as well to supplement and enhance her work. She provides services to executives, members of boards of directors, and the like, and didn't feel quite capable of providing the highest quality work without the more complete understanding of their unique needs within the business world that an MBA would offer.

After I posted this, actually, I mentioned the idea to one of the I/O psych consultants at a firm where I had been interning; she said she was thinking of doing it as well to supplement and enhance her work. She provides services to executives, members of boards of directors, and the like, and didn't feel quite capable of providing the highest quality work without the more complete understanding of their unique needs within the business world that an MBA would offer.

I'm sure her advice is worth more than ours -- or anyway more than mine!

• 1 year later...

Thanks for the replies. Something like a M. of Human Resources hadn't really occurred to me. I'll look a bit more into it further down the road.

SocialPsych: Yes, I'm looking at going into industry, although I do enjoy the research work that a PhD entails. In my field, though, a lot of jobs require a PhD as a minimum qualification (working as a consultant for an external company, for example); it's an applied subdiscipline of psych (as I'm sure you know). After I posted this, actually, I mentioned the idea to one of the I/O psych consultants at a firm where I had been interning; she said she was thinking of doing it as well to supplement and enhance her work. She provides services to executives, members of boards of directors, and the like, and didn't feel quite capable of providing the highest quality work without the more complete understanding of their unique needs within the business world that an MBA would offer.

This post bothered me.

Given:

You are attempting to earn a PhD in a top 20 program

You are attempting to earn a PhD in Management/OB

"Yes, I'm looking at going into industry, although I do enjoy the research work that a PhD entails"

-although I do enjoy research will not be nearly enough to cut it. You must live and breath your discipline in a highly abstract and critical way.

" In my field, though, a lot of jobs require a PhD as a minimum qualification"

-I don't believe this. Not at all. PhD is an academic research degree. It has very little to do with practice (and the little it does is indirectly)

" it's an applied subdiscipline of psych"

Yes, thank you.