Masters Level Psych/Counseling Programs for Fall 2015

researchpulse

Hey all -- Figured it would be good to get a masters specific discussion going for those of us on that route. I'm in California and doing an MFT (hopefully). Trying to go for low cost programs that still have a good reputation. Here are my schools, arranged by preference: 

1. SFSU
  2. CSU Long Beach
  3. CSU Northridge (have an interview)
  4. CSU East Bay

Where else are people applying? Have you heard back from any schools?

Hey all -- Figured it would be good to get a masters specific discussion going for those of us on that route. I'm in California and doing an MFT (hopefully). Trying to go for low cost programs that still have a good reputation. Here are my schools, arranged by preference:

• SFSU
  • CSU Long Beach
  • CSU Northridge (have an interview)
  • CSU East Bay
Where else are people applying? Have you heard back from any schools?

I applied to MA/MEd programs at Vanderbilt, Wisconsin-Madison, and NYU. I had a phone interview with Vandy a couple of weeks ago but I'm feeling less confident as time passes. Good luck!

I applied to the MA in counseling Psychology program at Assumption college and MS in Counseling Psychology at U-Mass Boston, Salem State, and Plymouth State. Since I'm pretty sure that I won't be getting into any of the doctoral programs that I applied to, I'm really hoping to hear from one of these...Assumption is my top choice. I wish that I didn't have to wait until March/ April!

I applied to four master's programs:

GWU

ODU

W&M

U of Oregon

I'm in VA, so I applied to two in-state and two out-of-state. So far, I have an interview scheduled at GWU on 2/27. The wait is killing me. I would really like to hear back from UO since the interviews are on 3/5. I think I'm developing a nervous tick where I slide my finger down every five minutes to refresh my email on my phone.

• 2 weeks later...

I was accepted into W&M's couples and family counseling program on 2/9/15. I also received an email inviting me to interview at the University of Oregon on the same day. :-)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I applied to both MFT programs and MSW programs in California. I ultimately got into an MSW program I loved and am going to proceed with pursuing that degree over an MFT but I thought I'd provide some information on my experiences with the MFT programs I applied to. The wait to hear back from schools is brutal and I know I spent a lot of time on gradcafe trying to see when and how other people were hearing back from their programs. It was definitely helpful and relieving for me, and I was thankful to have it as a source to look to. Hopefully this information can help someone else in a similar position.

CSU Long Beach

Applied and was invited to interview on 2/24. I went and didn't feel that great about it and was not extremely interested in the program after leaving the interview process. I received an email last night saying I was denied which I was honestly not too bothered about.

CSU Stanislaus

Applied and was invited to an interview on 3/5. I felt as if it went very well and I liked the faculty a lot. They said there wouldn't be decisions for a few weeks and have not heard back as of yet.

Humboldt State

Applied and received an interview for 3/7 even before my department application was even in. I felt really confident about my chances at getting in and they were very willing and communicative about doing a phone interview with me (I live quite far away from the school) but informed them I was no longer interested prior to my interview as to open up spots for other potential candidates.

Cal State Los Angeles LA

Applied for MFT and School Counseling program. Interviewed on 3/10. Seemed like a great program that was more competitive that I thought prior to my interview. I felt like my interview could have gone a bit better but left more nervous that they were interviewing so many potential people rather than the quality of my interview performance. I will not know if I am accepted for another week or two.

Cal Poly San Luis Obispo

Applied and was invited to an interview on 3/13 but told them I was no longer interested as to open up spots for other potential candidates.

Champan University

Applied and was invited to an interview which I plan to politely decline to open up spots for other potential candidates.  Though it is a expensive program over options at a CSU, the staff I interacted with while my application was being processed were wonderful if that's something anyone is looking for.

Schools I have applied to but have not heard a peep from since submitting: CSU San Bernardino, CSU Chico, CSU Fullerton, and CSU East Bay.

I received an email from CSU Bakersfield this morning saying I was accepted but it wasn't from a department so I'm not sure which program (MFT or MSW) it is of the two since I applied for both or if it just means I was accepted by the school itself and still need to wait about the department's decision.

Congratulations to everyone who has gotten into a school so far and good luck to all those still waiting to hear!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey decaf, thanks for the updates on your end. It's always good to hear others experiences. Since last posting I've been accepted at SFSU, CSUN, and Cal State East Bay. I was also denied at Long Beach and was also not too bothered by that. What made you decide on the MSW ultimately? Congratulations!!

• 2 weeks later...