grad application expenses tax deductible?

kayzed

Hi all,

Now that we've (mostly) finished applications and tax season is upon us, here's a question: Are grad-school application fees and related expenses tax deductible? Do they qualify for any of the education credits?

I've been asking around and doing some googling, but have only received mixed responses. Does anyone here know anything about this? 

Sorry if this is in the wrong sub-forum.

Thanks! 

I wish, I don't even think moving expenses are tax deductible (if it was a job I believe they would be, but I'm not an accountant).

I think this is correct -- moving expenses when you move for a job are tax-deductible, those for school are not. 

Nope, not deductible.  And graduate education expenses are not given the same treatment as the first 4 years either. 

I have a question though, that I don't recall learning about, but I'm sure someone who is already a student should know;

Is tuition reimbursement taxible as income?  From what I recall, it is only taxible in so far that it exceeds tuition and fees, but I'm not sure.

Nope, not deductible.  And graduate education expenses are not given the same treatment as the first 4 years either. 

I have a question though, that I don't recall learning about, but I'm sure someone who is already a student should know;

Is tuition reimbursement taxible as income?  From what I recall, it is only taxible in so far that it exceeds tuition and fees, but I'm not sure.

Correct.

For those moving to a Canadian grad school though, moving expenses for school are tax deductible in Canada! Also, all monies granted to you to support graduate education are not taxable (i.e. fellowships/scholarships not taxable but money paid for TA or RA work is). And, every dollar you spend on tuition is a tax credit, plus $480/month extra tax credit for every month you are a full time student. Not sure why the US does not seem to want to grant the same tax benefits to grad students as they do to undergrads! (And even the first 4 years of tax credit in the US is not very much at all).