Waiting to Exhale (the wait list thread)

In off the waitlist at UNC-Chapel Hill! Wasn't expecting this so soon--absolutely floored. CarolineKS, there's movement already! Much to be hopeful about!

Wow exciting! Congrats :) Must be nice to be able to celebrate so early... and on a Friday too!

In off the waitlist at UNC-Chapel Hill! Wasn't expecting this so soon--absolutely floored. CarolineKS, there's movement already! Much to be hopeful about!

So happy for you!! You must be so so so happy! I hope that I can join you. I'm trying to keep the faith! 

I haven't received an offer, a rejection, or a waitlist notice from UT! WTH.

A friend that applied to UT last year had to wait almost a month after mass rejections went out before he received his. I'm not sure if it's their adcomm or their computer systems, but UT's app process/system/notification sucks. 

If you are turning down UW-Madison, please do as soon as you can and let us know! I am repeating softcastlemccormick's imperative! :)

Absolutely, I'll let you both know! Unfortunately, I probably won't be making that decision for a while--mid to late March at the earliest... (They're one of my top choices, so I want to visit before deciding anything.) Good luck!

Christakins, that is the BEST news!!! Congrats!

What's your area of interest, if you don't mind the question?

Long nineteenth-century novels, Victorian fringe fiction (gothic, sensational, erotic, adventure), race and colonial issues during the British Empire. How about yourself? Congrats on Michigan, btw :)

I got a message yesterday from UMD's director of Comparative Lit and initially I was simply over the moon to finally get a positive response and because I love the program. I still am, but now I feel like I'm kinda in the same boat as you guys although it's not even anything resembling a waitlisting: 

"Based on your application, you have emerged as one of our most serious candidates. Before we make you an official offer, however, we would very much like to know how seriously you are considering your candidacy to our program. Can you please respond to this e-mail informing me as to whether or not you are still interested in attending the Program in Comparative Literature at the University of Maryland?"

I wrote back that I'm most definitely still interested and that I didn't have any further questions at the moment but now I kinda wish I'd asked how long they think the determination process is going to take. I'm pretty sure asking would've been a bad idea but I just really want to know if I got all excited all too soon. The in-betweenness feels like torture and ironically enough my writing sample actually celebrated in-betweenness. I think I'll have to revise that somehow :D

Edited by Megeen

I got a message yesterday from UMD's director of Comparative Lit and initially I was simply over the moon to finally get a positive response and because I love the program. I still am, but now I feel like I'm kinda in the same boat as you guys although it's not even anything resembling a waitlisting: 

"Based on your application, you have emerged as one of our most serious candidates. Before we make you an official offer, however, we would very much like to know how seriously you are considering your candidacy to our program."

I wrote back that I'm most definitely still interested and that I didn't have any further questions at the moment but now I kinda wish I'd asked how long they think the determination process is going to take. I'm pretty sure asking would've been a bad idea but I just really want to know if I got all excited all too soon. The in-betweenness feels like torture and ironically enough my writing sample actually celebrated in-betweenness. I think I'll have to revise that somehow :D

Is that customary for schools to do that? I mean, I feel like implicit in applying is a level of seriousness, no? Anyway, the fact that she said that about your application is great. I kinda feel like they're definitely making you an offer, from what you've said. 

Is that customary for schools to do that? I mean, I feel like implicit in applying is a level of seriousness, no? Anyway, the fact that she said that about your application is great. I kinda feel like they're definitely making you an offer, from what you've said. 

Thank you, I really hope so! And I was really confused as to whether that was customary too. I'm kinda thinking/hoping that they just asked about this before sending me an official offer because maybe funding me is more expensive because I'm an international student or it's generally a hassle to make offers only to have people not accept.

Btw, there was another line asking me to respond whether I'm still interested in attending or not, so I think that's the seriousness of the application she was referring to; I just didn't want to copy-paste the whole email, but for clarity's sake I just edited it.

Edited by Megeen