Rejected for PhD... now what?

prospectivebtec

I am just curious. For those of you who did not get into the programs you wanted in the first application cycle, what did you end up doing until the next cycle? Did you just go for a masters or find a full time job?

I have been getting a fair share of rejections and feel the need to plan some back up. For those who did end up reapplying in another cycle, any advice on what I can do in the remaining year to make my application for the next cycle stronger?

I am just curious. For those of you who did not get into the programs you wanted in the first application cycle, what did you end up doing until the next cycle? Did you just go for a masters or find a full time job?

I have been getting a fair share of rejections and feel the need to plan some back up. For those who did end up reapplying in another cycle, any advice on what I can do in the remaining year to make my application for the next cycle stronger?

I did get a couple offers for doctoral programs, but I can give you an analogous situation. I applied for a Fulbright English Teaching Assistantship (ETA) last year, and I ended up making it to the very end; however, they ended up naming me as an Alternate (essentially waitlisted). After I stopped internalizing the rejection and trying to figure out what I did to deserve it, I looked back at my paperwork, viz. my statements and the people who wrote recommendations for me. When I examined the former in particular, I found specific areas where I wasn't as clear as I thought it was; nevertheless, this is something you'll only realize once you get away from a piece of writing for a while. Then, looking at my recommendations, I realized that one of the individuals didn't have nearly as much experience with me as did another, who I, for whatever reason, decided not to approach for a recommendation.

As you didn't say you've received all-around bad news yet, I'd say that you should keep your spirits high! And, if it doesn't work out for you this year, you have a couple key areas to look at. In fact, revising your statements and/or writing sample would only help you in the future, anyway. Good luck!!

I was not all that serious about applying my first round, but after I didn't get in, I got a job, beefed up my qualifications, and retook the GMAT, because my scores were sub par.  I got in this round, so I suppose it worked.  The other thing I would suggest doing is finding a way to get face time with professors at institutions you may want to attend.  One of the reasons I got into a program is because I attended an informational session there and they noticed my passion for the Ph.D program and for the subject. There are probably also other ways to get face time as well.

The one thing you don't want to do is waste your time. Don't look at it as a year down the drain.  Use it to prepare yourself better for next round. It will go by faster than you think. The worst thing you can do is get depressed because you didn't get into a program and sit at home and pout.  I can tell you that if I would have gotten in my first application round I probably wouldn't have had the maturity or experience needed to succeed.  It was hard waiting out a couple of years, but in the end, I think it was productive and it was worth it.

I applied to some masters programs, was accepted, and chose the one that was the best research match for me. While working on my masters, aside from my thesis, I took any opportunity I could find to get more field and research experience as well as worked on some manuscripts and a poster for a conference. Now that I have more research and field experience under my belt, I feel much better about my PhD applications for this cycle. However, I know that there is still the chance that I won't be accepted. If it happens again, I plan on getting some more field experience related to ornithology to make next year's application stronger.

I was completely rejected during the 2013 cycle. What helped me was to think less about what a program might want from me and more from what eventually wanted out of a PhD. That is, what could I change about my resume to make myself feel more confident when I applied again? 

For me, that was teaching experience and (because I'm in comparative/foreign literature) experience living in the country of my main literature. I already had a Masters, so I found a Part-Time Instructor position where I could get more teaching experience. Then I found a job here in the country of my primary literature. 

When I applied for PhDs again (this cycle), I felt a lot more confident with my resume/CV and much more comfortable presenting myself in my application. Because I wasn't obsessing about what the programs might want (which is entirely subjective and almost impossible to determine), I was less stressed during the application process. I've ended up with a few acceptances ... no rejections so far (but there are still a number of programs that haven't notified). 

No, although some programs (UChicago, BC) do forward apps on to MA admissions. I applied for my MA separately.

In all cases, you would be expected to apply again for the PhD.

Edited by telkanuru

I was rejected from all the schools I applied to last year. It was difficult for me to get something else lined up because aside from graduating I was also planning a wedding and moving across the country during that time. I assumed it wouldn't be too hard to find a lab tech job once I moved, but I was wrong. Ultimately, I found a job with a biotech company (albeit almost completely unrelated to my work) and spent the rest of my time focused on getting in touch with prospective mentors. Networking, I've learned, is critical. Anything you can do in terms of networking will be beneficial. I still might not get the result I'm looking for this year, but I'm optimistic about the future because through talking to people (which is terrifying for me as a super introverted person) I've learned about the variety of the field and opportunities.

I was rejected from all my schools in the 2013 cycle. It ended up being a good thing, because looking back on it I really didn't realize what it was that I wanted to do with my graduate education. Instead I took a year off and worked part time as a private tutor, allowing me to re-evaluate why I wanted to go to graduate school. I worked harder on my application, took the GRE subject test, and took some time out for me. I got into grad school, and got an interview from a school that flatly rejected me the previous cycle. Getting rejected from all your schools stings, but it just means that it is not your time yet. My advice is to figure out your weak points, bolster your application, and try again.