Who Has Forgone the PhD Offers for a Master's?

TXInstrument11

So, basically, I was just rejected from UPenn's criminology PhD program, but accepted to their master's. Am I crazy for considering it with possible PhD offers coming?

I think I have a good shot at some of the other schools I applied to for the PhD, but not at those programs with which I have the strongest research fit. This obviously very much depends on whether those other options come through and how expensive UPenns's program is, but I am strongly considering their offer already.

A terminal master's in criminology seems more valuable on its own and more flexible career-wise than one in psych, but I am pretty sure I wold still want to go the academic route via a PhD, so the flexibility offered doesn't seem to benefit me much at the present time.

My main concerns are debt and pigeonholing myself into a criminal justice career (i.e. negatively impacting future psych PhD chances). Working with my POI at UPenn could be game-changing, but I don't even know if I will get the chance to even see him as a master's student. 

Would it just be impossibly stupid of me to ditch funded PhD offers for this chance? I actually expected a complete rejection from UPenn, so this is actually kind of good news, LOL. I just don't know what to make of it. 

EDITED to emphasize terminal. I do not have one ounce of interest in pursuing clinical or counseling psychology.

Edited by TXInstrument11

Can you wait it out to see whether or not you receive a funded offer towards a PhD? That would be my suggestion and if so, for the case that you did receive such an offer I'd say go with the PhD and not UPenn's masters program. Reasons: debt. Especially if you already have undergraduate debt, but, if you don't I'd still say to consider this heavily. 

So, basically, I was just rejected from UPenn's criminology PhD program, but accepted to their master's. Am I crazy for considering it with possible PhD offers coming?

I think I have a good shot at some of the other schools I applied to for the PhD, but not at those programs with which I have the strongest research fit. This obviously very much depends on whether those other options come through and how expensive UPenns's program is, but I am strongly considering their offer already.

A terminal master's in criminology seems more valuable on its own and more flexible career-wise than one in psych, but I am pretty sure I wold still want to go the academic route via a PhD, so the flexibility offered doesn't seem to benefit me much at the present time.

My main concerns are debt and pigeonholing myself into a criminal justice career (i.e. negatively impacting future psych PhD chances). Working with my POI at UPenn could be game-changing, but I don't even know if I will get the chance to even see him as a master's student.

Would it just be impossibly stupid of me to ditch funded PhD offers for this chance? I actually expected a complete rejection from UPenn, so this is actually kind of good news, LOL. I just don't know what to make of it.

EDITED to emphasize terminal. I do not have one ounce of interest in pursuing clinical or counseling psychology.

Just to offer my opinion...

While my situation is not identical, I didn't get into the PhD programs this time around that I fit best with. I haven't heard back from my last program yet but my POI there has made some promising contact but I found a master's program with faculty doing research that is more similar to what I want to do. So I'm highly considering an MA in Experimental Psych there just to better my chances of getting into a PhD program that I really want because my masters research would be heavily focused on what my top two choices are focused on. The funding issue is also my only qualm but there seems to be opportunities for funding at this paticular university.

My thoughts are this. A PhD program is a long hard commitment and if you don't absolutely love the program, I feel like it's going to be a long road. If you have an option that is likely to ultimately result in you being accepted to your dream program, researching exactly what you want, and you're not in some mad rush to finish schooling and can incur a bit more debt if you even have any at this point, I'd say it's worth it

I'm in a similar situation; I was recently rejected from the doctoral program at Boston College, but offered admission to their M.A. program (counseling). I'm pretty certain that I'm going to be rejected (wait-listed at best) from all of the doctoral programs that I applied to this round, as I haven't received any interview invitations and I know that they've all sent them out. My only choice at this point is a masters. I'm just waiting to see if I get offers from the other masters programs that I applied to before I make my final decision. Boston College is a great school, but also very expensive!

My advice would be to just go with what feels right to you, honestly. It sounds cliche, but go with your gut. A Ph.D. program is great, but if it's not a perfect fit, then you're not going to be happy in it.

Unless you're dying to have Ph.D. next to your name for an academic position (and believe this is your only shot to enter a doctoral program) or you're extremely confident that a Ph.D. somewhere you're more "meh, I guess this could be a good option" about is going to get you just where you want to be for your career, I can't imagine ditching a program or an awesome research fit just because it's a terminal master's program. My own personal bias, I wouldn't do it purely for money reasons because the thought of debt scares the hell out of me. But, of course if money isn't a factor that will sway you, that's irrelevant.

I really liked how MyDogHasAPhD ended their comment. I can back that thought up 100%.