Interview for Masters Program?

Salome's Beef

Hi all,

I just received an email from Syracuse University asking me to Skype with them this Monday. I was surprised by this email, because I only applied to Masters programs this year, and I was under the impression that you only interview for PhD admissions. Am I mistaken? Is this normal for Masters degrees? Should I expect to interview at other places? Also, what should I expect during this skype session, is there anything in particular I should be prepared for?

Thanks!

KW

I was asked for an interview at Union but it was because of funding I was nominated for.

I just did a search through the Results postings and other students have marked that they've been asked for an interview. But, I didn't see an immediate postings/updates about the interview.

So, I think it's safe to presume two things: 1) Some kind of competitive funding, or 2) They're on the fence about you.

Thanks for the responses! I just got another email today saying it's going to be 20 minute interviews and they're interviewing a "number of applicants". No idea what that means.

Colormelovely: I applied to the Communities and Identities concentration focusing on Indigenous Religions. 

Syracuse's MA is one of the 'elite' programs in that it 1) has (full) funding and 2) is relatively small, offering its students the advantage of more attention by faculty. I would compare it to something like ND's MTS, and is thus much more competitive than say (MTS/MAR) programs like HDS, YDS (MARg), and so on.

Just a follow up, I interviewed yesterday (Monday), and they asked me basic questions about what I was specifically interested in with regards to the program, about my background and about my purposed area of study. It was a 15-20 minute Skype convo with 5 professors and a grad student. I then got an email today from the Director of Graduate Studies with my acceptance into the program!