Georgetown MPP Admitted 2015

brmoran

Just received the merit funding decision. Got an email to check the website.

Unfortunately, I only received $3,750 per semester for Fall 2015 and Spring 2016. It's unclear whether those amounts would be renewed for the second year. Anyone have any insight there?

Looks like I'll probably be heading to Duke, as they gave me quite a bit more.

I just got the letter. I received $12,500 for Fall 2015 and Spring 2016. and 0 for Summer 2016. Not sure either if they will be renewed, but I guess we can get that answered in the chat.

I just called their office and they said they're working on sorting out the issue with the passcode. Hopefully we know more soon . . . 

Hi guys,

I've been offered 15k for Fall 2015 and 15k for Spring 2016 (MPP). Did any information emerge about the renewability of the offer during the chat? If it is, I guess it makes the most generous funding I've received of all the universities so far.

Such a pity I've missed the chat for time zone reason :blink: , anyone could share some info about the career service info? especially for international student( if this question was raised during the chat). and housing info as well? 

Georgetown is my top priority, so I really wanna know more about it before April 15 (as the next chat was scheduled on April. 17th,which is so late for me)

Thanks naso. Other schools have explicitly mentioned it while McCourt has chosen not to. Stands to reason that it will renewed based on academic standing but still a little jittery. 

Hi all- I'm a current MPP student as well, and found this board helpful last year when making a decision, so thought I would return the favor. Re: funding- Georgetown considers funding a negotiation. I really wanted to attend Georgetown and be in DC, but with the funding I got from other schools needed more from Georgetown to be able to choose it. I spoke to people at admissions and told them my other offers and they were able to increase my award to match! So if McCourt is really where you want to be, I would highly recommend talking to someone and saying you've gotten other offers at X amt from other schools. 

Also, the reason why it takes longer to get your $$ offers is because it has to be processed through the Graduate School of Arts & Sciences as well, which I believe is who dispenses the money.

Georgetown & McCourt were 100% the right decision for me, and it's lived up to (the very high) expectations I had. I will say that one of the reasons I picked McCourt was because of its student body and how active it is- everyone has amazing internships (have friends at Brookings, the World Bank, consulting, on the hill, Urban Institute, etc), there's at least 5 events every week, and the people are great - our class is 40% international and there's a lot of diversity in terms of experiences and cultures. Georgetown has a fantastic reputation, and is highly regarded by everyone in DC. It's known for it's quantitative rigor, and while classes can be tough, the professors are supportive and the work has paid off. The network is great- I've found McCourt alums everywhere and got both my internships this year because of the McCourt network. It does skew younger than other policy schools (average age is 25-26), but that's one of the reasons I chose it. I'm in that age range, and I appreciate the fact that the class is more social than other ones because of it. This is solely my opinion, but when I visited other schools and heard from friends at other schools, it wasn't as social, either due to competitiveness, other priorities (like family), or location. Which isn't a bad thing at all, it just wasn't the right fit for me (I'm probably biased as well, because I'm a city person). I've found that at McCourt, everyone wants to do well and it's definitely an ambitious group, but it's also supportive- people help each other out and are happy to make connections for you. 

Edited by MPP 2016

I participated in the chat (the last part of it). They did say explicitly that the awards are renewable, so no need to be nervous.

Thanks naso! Makes my decision rather easy I guess in that case.

Hi all- I'm a current MPP student as well, and found this board helpful last year when making a decision, so thought I would return the favor. Re: funding- Georgetown considers funding a negotiation. I really wanted to attend Georgetown and be in DC, but with the funding I got from other schools needed more from Georgetown to be able to choose it. I spoke to people at admissions and told them my other offers and they were able to increase my award to match! So if McCourt is really where you want to be, I would highly recommend talking to someone and saying you've gotten other offers at X amt from other schools. 

Also, the reason why it takes longer to get your $$ offers is because it has to be processed through the Graduate School of Arts & Sciences as well, which I believe is who dispenses the money.

Georgetown & McCourt were 100% the right decision for me, and it's lived up to (the very high) expectations I had. I will say that one of the reasons I picked McCourt was because of its student body and how active it is- everyone has amazing internships (have friends at Brookings, the World Bank, consulting, on the hill, Urban Institute, etc), there's at least 5 events every week, and the people are great - our class is 40% international and there's a lot of diversity in terms of experiences and cultures. Georgetown has a fantastic reputation, and is highly regarded by everyone in DC. It's known for it's quantitative rigor, and while classes can be tough, the professors are supportive and the work has paid off. The network is great- I've found McCourt alums everywhere and got both my internships this year because of the McCourt network. It does skew younger than other policy schools (average age is 25-26), but that's one of the reasons I chose it. I'm in that age range, and I appreciate the fact that the class is more social than other ones because of it. This is solely my opinion, but when I visited other schools and heard from friends at other schools, it wasn't as social, either due to competitiveness, other priorities (like family), or location. Which isn't a bad thing at all, it just wasn't the right fit for me (I'm probably biased as well, because I'm a city person). I've found that at McCourt, everyone wants to do well and it's definitely an ambitious group, but it's also supportive- people help each other out and are happy to make connections for you. 

MPP 2016, slightly specific question re McCourt - I'm leaning towards Georgetown but need to complete the mandatory Microecon course. I'm looking at Berkeley, UCLA extensions. Any advice to offer on this count? Per chance does McCourt run refresher courses prior to term starting from where I could earn the credit?

Hi thanks for this - very much the sort of information I was looking for. I understand that the funding offers is a rolling process, with decisions to be announced until the end of this month. I'm interested in Georgetown but have full tuition from another programme I'm also interested in (below). Eventually for me it comes down to funding. Would you suggest waiting to speak to the admissions team about offers until after the end of the month (by which time I may or may not receive an offer); or alternatively to let them know of my situation?

Many thanks

Thanks naso! Makes my decision rather easy I guess in that case.

MPP 2016, slightly specific question re McCourt - I'm leaning towards Georgetown but need to complete the mandatory Microecon course. I'm looking at Berkeley, UCLA extensions. Any advice to offer on this count? Per chance does McCourt run refresher courses prior to term starting from where I could earn the credit?

From what I remember, I do know people who took the Berkeley course. I had an econ minor from undergrad and didn't need to take a course over the summer, but really wish I had brushed up on my econ before starting school! The quant's pretty hard core here, even for people with a background in it, so I think you'll find it really helpful to take the micro class. Those who did take it could recall information much better and were probably better prepared than I was. You'll get a math camp packet over the summer that will do a math refresher + math boot camp during orientation to fresh your algebra & basic calc skills like derivatives.  I'm not sure what other schools you're looking at, but for any school with a high quant rigor, I would recommend putting the time in to brushing up on econ, math or stats before attending. It'll make your fall easier!

Hi thanks for this - very much the sort of information I was looking for. I understand that the funding offers is a rolling process, with decisions to be announced until the end of this month. I'm interested in Georgetown but have full tuition from another programme I'm also interested in (below). Eventually for me it comes down to funding. Would you suggest waiting to speak to the admissions team about offers until after the end of the month (by which time I may or may not receive an offer); or alternatively to let them know of my situation?

Many thanks

If you've gotten your funding offer already, I would say approach them now and let them know your situation. If you haven't gotten your McCourt funding offer already, then I would say it depends upon your timeline and when you'd like to make a decision by. I believe I waited until the first week of April to ask, and heard back from Georgetown the day before I had to make a decision (about a 7-10 day turnaround). So it was a bit stressful, but ultimately paid off. I was deciding between Ford, Harris & McCourt last year, and I can understand the full funding for a good program is hard to turn down esp in policy! It was what drove me to ask Georgetown for more funding. Good luck with the decision! 

Edited by MPP 2016

Thanks MPP 2016..

Would you be able to comment on how McCourt fares against HKS...?

McCourt may offer some funding.. and HKS financial aid decisions will only be released in early April.. Both are my top school choices. and hence my dilemma - I am not sure if I would take Georgetown McCourt with substantial funding, over Harvard (which is a lot more recognized where I come from) with less funding..

Any thoughts?

Thank you for all the insight! This really helps a lot. I'm also currently deciding between McCourt and Ford (plus Evans for UW). One of the biggest concern I had was that as an international student, all US Govt jobs are not available to me. But you mentioned that 40% of students were international students, where did they find their internships? Through NGOs and other think tanks? 

Also, for whatever reason, Georgetown's ranking in MPP/MPA was not as high as some of the other schools like Evans and Ford. Do you know why that would be? Was that a concern when you made your decision? Or do you feel like that wasn't warranted? 

Thanks again!

Thanks for that info MPP 2016. I was just wondering how you went about negotiating funding with them? Did you contact the McCourt school directly, or did you do it through the Columbian school? And is it best to email or try to talk to somebody on the phone? Thanks!