Georgetown MPP Admitted 2015

brmoran

Thanks MPP 2016..

Would you be able to comment on how McCourt fares against HKS...?

McCourt may offer some funding.. and HKS financial aid decisions will only be released in early April.. Both are my top school choices. and hence my dilemma - I am not sure if I would take Georgetown McCourt with substantial funding, over Harvard (which is a lot more recognized where I come from) with less funding..

Any thoughts?

I think that's a personal choice, and depends on your preferences! I think Harvard has fantastic name recognition, and is recognized as one of the best. Most of my friends who are at HKS are enrolled in the dual MPP-MBA program, and I think it's definitely the best for the dual program if that's what you are interested in. If it's just the MPP, take into account that most policy programs with good name recognition (eg HKS, Ford, Harris, Goldman, McCourt, among others I'm missing) will get you the jobs you want as long as you network, get the right internships and make the right connections. Most of the policy people I've come across in DC went to Ford, HKS, or Georgetown (and other DC schools)...and your salary is based on years of prior work experience + degree, not the school you come from. It also depends on what you want to do- for ex, if you're interested in consulting at McKinsey or Bain, then you should go to HKS. But if you're interested in federal consulting, like at Deloitte, I would choose Georgetown. I think it also depends on the amount of debt you're willing to take on, and where you plan to work after graduation. If you're looking to go back to your home country, then perhaps Harvard is worth it because it'll be more recognized. If you want to stay in the US, Georgetown is very highly regarded as well and its DC location is a huge asset. 

Thank you for all the insight! This really helps a lot. I'm also currently deciding between McCourt and Ford (plus Evans for UW). One of the biggest concern I had was that as an international student, all US Govt jobs are not available to me. But you mentioned that 40% of students were international students, where did they find their internships? Through NGOs and other think tanks? 

Also, for whatever reason, Georgetown's ranking in MPP/MPA was not as high as some of the other schools like Evans and Ford. Do you know why that would be? Was that a concern when you made your decision? Or do you feel like that wasn't warranted? 

Thanks again!

So Georgetown wasn't ranked as highly in the 2012 rankings (which was the last time US news did policy school rankings) because it was still an institute at the time, and not a separate policy school. McCourt was GPPI up until Oct 2013, when Frank McCourt gave Georgetown a $100M donation to establish the McCourt school. The creation of the policy school & the additional funding (there was a lot of $$ donated to create new institutes at the beginning of the year in addition to Frank McCourt's donation) will no doubt increase McCourt's ranking in future US news reports. My cohort is the first official class of the McCourt school and the funding and creation of the new school has attracted a lot of very smart people and big names to supplement the already-great faculty - George Akerlof joined at the beginning of this year. It's a lot newer than other policy schools, but the administration's looking to create the best policy school they can, and with the means to do so they're doing a lot of great things and it's an exciting place to be. 

It was a concern initially when I was making a decision, because Ford is so highly ranked and I was worried I wasn't making the right choice. What helped me was to look at the job placements and check out career services-  looking at those alleviated my worries because McCourt has phenomenal job and internship placements. I also talked to a lot of people who told me that McCourt is highly regarded for policy analysis and known for its quant rigor, and they were right. And McCourt is part of Georgetown, which carries its own weight in name recognition. 

There are a lot of Ford grads in DC though, and I think other policy schools might be better if you are 100% certain you want to be in a specific region; for example, if you want to work in TX, I would say go to LBJ or if you want to work in California, Goldman or Price. I chose Georgetown because I like DC and also because its reputation is solid enough that it would be recognized anywhere!

Re: internships & jobs- you're correct that US gov't jobs aren't available, but most of the international students here are interested in development and economics, etc so they're looking to be at the World Bank, think tanks, other NGOs/non-profits, and some are looking into consulting for the summer. Interning during the year is really difficult with visas, etc for international students, so most of my friends have taken RA jobs for professors or are doing things at Georgetown. While it's difficult during the year, it's not impossible- I do have a couple of friends who are working at the Bank this semester and worked with supervisors & McCourt to sort out the visa situation!

Thanks for that info MPP 2016. I was just wondering how you went about negotiating funding with them? Did you contact the McCourt school directly, or did you do it through the Columbian school? And is it best to email or try to talk to somebody on the phone? Thanks!

Hey Francopan- I'm not sure what you mean by the Columbian school, but if you look at the admitted student site, you should find a contact at admissions for funding & scholarships or an associate director for admissions that you can contact with your request, which is what I did. I did my request via email!

Edited by MPP 2016

@Intlmktmg

I havent received any funding news (I was accepted to the MIDP too). Still, my letter of acceptance is no longer available and that is what the mpp candidates noticed before getting their financial aid news.

Thanks for that info MPP 2016. I was just wondering how you went about negotiating funding with them? Did you contact the McCourt school directly, or did you do it through the Columbian school? And is it best to email or try to talk to somebody on the phone? Thanks!

Also not sure what you mean by Columbian school, but someone at McCourt would be your best contact. Email is 100% fine, especially if you're not in the U.S. at the moment.

Thanks naso! Makes my decision rather easy I guess in that case.

MPP 2016, slightly specific question re McCourt - I'm leaning towards Georgetown but need to complete the mandatory Microecon course. I'm looking at Berkeley, UCLA extensions. Any advice to offer on this count? Per chance does McCourt run refresher courses prior to term starting from where I could earn the credit?

Like MPP 2016 said, McCourt runs a (mandatory, I think) econ and math boot camp after orientation in August. Those are not transferable for credit, but there is a waiver exam. Not sure on the details since I didn't bother, but email someone in admin at MSPP if you're interested.

I also had to take microecon prior to enrolling. You don't need to go anywhere prestigious, but they did suggest somewhere with an in-person instructor, i.e. not online. A community college was perfectly fine. Since I was already in D.C., I took the class at USA Graduate School (formerly the USDA's professional development school). It was cheap ($400), flexible with the hours (it met Wednesday evenings after work), and I feel that they adequately prepared me for the classes here. If you're in D.C. or moving here soon, that's definitely an option for you (my class ran from April to June of last year). Otherwise, look into a community college if that's available.

And some others have asked, but the funding offers are renewable in your second year so long as you maintain good standing and full-time enrollment.

Edited by pavlik

Hi. Can anyone see their acceptance letter on the web portal? I never received the email for the decision but received the email for the McCourt Felowship shortlist. When I log in, my acceptance letter is still not there. Read through the previous comments of some people having the same problem. So wanted to ask again. Also, wondering if I have been accepted or not. Wrote to the admissions team who haven't replied yet.

Hi. Can anyone see their acceptance letter on the web portal? I never received the email for the decision but received the email for the McCourt Felowship shortlist. When I log in, my acceptance letter is still not there. Read through the previous comments of some people having the same problem. So wanted to ask again. Also, wondering if I have been accepted or not. Wrote to the admissions team who haven't replied yet.

If you're on the McCourt Fellowship shortlist, you were accepted.

I received an email notifying me that I was awarded Financial Aid and that I should log into the Apply web system to find the result (12.5k for each semester). Good luck to everyone!!

Is anybody else having problems with printing their admission letter? There seems to be a problem with the margin on the right side of the page; it will print a portion of the sentence but will trail off towards the end. Thanks!

BTW did anyone out there attend the Open House last March 27? Care to share your experience/thoughts about it? Thanks again!

Is anybody else having problems with printing their admission letter? There seems to be a problem with the margin on the right side of the page; it will print a portion of the sentence but will trail off towards the end. Thanks!

BTW did anyone out there attend the Open House last March 27? Care to share your experience/thoughts about it? Thanks again!

Yeah. My admission letter also cuts out a portion of the right side when I try to print it.

Has anyone received any word on funding for the MIDP? Also, if you received financial aid information, how long was it after you got your acceptance letter? 

Just received the acceptance letter through the application website on Monday. Really surprised by the extremely quick turnaround. Feeling very excited though!

The letter said nothing about funding, however. Does that mean no funding was awarded? Or do you think the school is still making funding decisions?

Has anyone else heard anything? 

I got mine last week, and I also received an e-mail from the admissions office regarding my acceptance with one line stating I'd been denied funding.

Yeah. My admission letter also cuts out a portion of the right side when I try to print it.

Has anyone received any word on funding for the MIDP? Also, if you received financial aid information, how long was it after you got your acceptance letter? 

Oh okay, I thought it had something to do with my computer. Whew!

I received word on funding for MIDP 10 days after I received my acceptance letter.

Oh okay, I thought it had something to do with my computer. Whew!

I received word on funding for MIDP 10 days after I received my acceptance letter.

Thanks. If it's the same for me, I would have about 7 days to decide before April 15. Not fun. 

Is anyone here attending the open house tomorrow?  I can't make it out there because of work but I'd love to hear your input as well?

Does anybody know who to contact about setting up a visit on an alternative day?  I called the general McCourt # and they said to call x1348 but when you do it says it is a text only number.  So I texted and have not hear a response.  Let me know if you know whom else I can reach out to if any of you meet anyone tomorrow that is a good contact?

Is anyone here attending the open house tomorrow?  I can't make it out there because of work but I'd love to hear your input as well?

Does anybody know who to contact about setting up a visit on an alternative day?  I called the general McCourt # and they said to call x1348 but when you do it says it is a text only number.  So I texted and have not hear a response.  Let me know if you know whom else I can reach out to if any of you meet anyone tomorrow that is a good contact?

Try reaching out to Derricka McDaniel, who I know has been coordinating some prospective students' visits. Her email is dbm46 [at] georgetown.edu

Dear Pavlik, greetings from Ukraine :).

Just now I was accepted to MPM program in summer. No funding info.

Desperately need you help about finaid and even more about curriculum, because I have only legal background, lack of math, econ, stats. Please check MPM core courses.

Also accepted to Maxwell EMPA.

How can I contact with you.

So I'm a little bit frustrated because I was accepted on Monday and emailed them immediately asking if there was an open house or admitted students day. No one ever emailed me back, and I literally just found out about the event this morning by reading this forum. Were other people notified about the open house? 

My offer letter appeared after my funding decision was made (I got $20k/year towards tuition). I received an email once the letter had been available and I could log back in to my account to see it.

I was/am really keen on attending GU but unfortunately given my financial circumstances I don't think I'll be able to make this offer work :(

Dear Pavlik, greetings from Ukraine :).

Just now I was accepted to MPM program in summer. No funding info.

Desperately need you help about finaid and even more about curriculum, because I have only legal background, lack of math, econ, stats. Please check MPM core courses.

Also accepted to Maxwell EMPA.

How can I contact with you.

Здравствуй! I don't know much about Syracuse and not that much about the MPM program here, but I understand that the summer courses are not that quantitative-intensive. I think your legal background and lack of math/econ/stats won't be that important. The 4 core courses for the summer are Ethics, Public Management Innovations, Decision Making in Public Policy, and Public Policy Process. I've taken 2 similar courses, and neither are demanding in mathematical terms. I didn't have much of a math background coming into the program, and I've done so far. The professors are excellent here, and there are many opportunities to get extra help if you need.

If you want to talk more, send me a private message here (click on my name and you should see an option to send message).

How long did you all wait between your letter disappearing and the new letter with your funding offer?

Pavlik: Thank you so much for the suggestion, Derricka has been a huge help.  Do you know where I can find a handbook or course descriptions for the non-core offerings?  I haven't been able to find these online.

So I'm a little bit frustrated because I was accepted on Monday and emailed them immediately asking if there was an open house or admitted students day. No one ever emailed me back, and I literally just found out about the event this morning by reading this forum. Were other people notified about the open house? 

I had trouble getting a hold of people as well, but the person that Pavlik recommended has been tremendously helpful in setting up an alternative visit: Derricka McDaniel, email is dbm46 [at] georgetown.edu