Decisions 2015

ashiepoo72

I'm getting business casual clothes for recruitment events, and some nicer casual clothes as well. Nothing too fancy. I like to be comfortable more than fashionable.

If I end up moving somewhere cold, there'll be a much larger wardrobe upgrade involved.

I prohibited myself from buying books this year considering I'll probably have to ship them all cross-country at the end of the year

I dread tallying up the cost of shipping all my books cross-country. I'm planning on pruning a lot of stuff, but it's SO hard for me to get rid of books.

At least $150. Plus, as I've mentioned elsethread, we're a two-academic household. I can't remember the last beginning of a semester that hasn't meant close to $1500 in Amazon purchases. Not to mention the fiction, the cookbooks, etc. We haven't moved in 12 years, which helps nothing. It's so easy to accumulate things when you've been sedentary for so long.

At least $150. Plus, as I've mentioned elsethread, we're a two-academic household. I can't remember the last beginning of a semester that hasn't meant close to $1500 in Amazon purchases. Not to mention the fiction, the cookbooks, etc. We haven't moved in 12 years, which helps nothing. It's so easy to accumulate things when you've been sedentary for so long.

Not only do I have a million books, I also have a ton of crap in general. Every two weeks or so I just have this moment where I walk around my apartment in a half-daze wondering how on Earth I'm going to move all this stuff.

I wish Amtrak ran through Vegas. It's insane that a city that exists pretty much solely because of the railroad no longer has consumer rail service. Anyone used PODs to move before? We're thinking of getting a quote from them if we decide to move any of our furniture or just mailing stuff if we don't.

Anyone else in the fun position of having to move animals? That's the other big item we need to work out. The dog is driving with us. We're leaning towards flying the cats out. The idea of a 3 day drive with howling cats sounds less than appealing to me.

I'm back from NYU.  Oh my gosh, you guys, I got SO sick on the second day (Saturday)!  I had to leave back to the hotel pretty much after I got to history department.  With the exception of a few hours in the afternoon, I spent the whole day throwing up. I felt terrible to have to leave but I just couldn't even sit up straight at that point without considerable effort.  I am so glad I had the foresight to stay Saturday night too and fly back home on Sunday because I can't imagine having had to fly so sick. Other than that, it was great.  The people were great, etc. 

Anyone else in the fun position of having to move animals? That's the other big item we need to work out. The dog is driving with us. We're leaning towards flying the cats out. The idea of a 3 day drive with howling cats sounds less than appealing to me.

I did this for my MA a year and a half ago, and will be again this summer. I have a 65lb labrador and did a 3-day drive from Boston to Miami. It can be done! Just plan lots of stops. Also, make sure to shop around well ahead of time for apartments/houses. I have found some entire areas (all of Miami) to be not at all pet friendly.

I am also interested in the flying cats out question. My wife and I are leaving NYC with two cats. If we land in Madison, we will just suck it up and take the felines (who do not get along) in our car. But we don't want to waste a cross country experience if we end up on the west coast. Does anyone have any experience or thoughts?

I am also interested in the flying cats out question. My wife and I are leaving NYC with two cats. If we land in Madison, we will just suck it up and take the felines (who do not get along) in our car. But we don't want to waste a cross country experience if we end up on the west coast. Does anyone have any experience or thoughts?

Where in NYC do you live?  As of right now, it looks like I'll go to NYU and I have SOOOO many questions!

I live in the best neighborhood in New York - Inwood, Manhattan.  I am biased, but it is great.  I am happy to answer anyone's questions who are planning moves to NYC!

I finally got my OSU offer letter this morning, and the contrast between it and the one I got for Brown is interesting. The Brown letter was very straightforward: Stipend total, summer award, health insurance, tuition waiver, research funds. The OSU letter stated my stipend as a monthly figure (so you have to multiply to get the total) and did not quantify anything else.

In the hivemind's collective experience, which letter is more typical?

Edited by telkanuru

I was looking around the Kansas website and they have a summer language program for African languages.  My course of study may include a comparative aspect involving Africa.  What do you think my chances are of asking for funding for this summer to take this intensive language program?  Just a random thought. 

Both my letter from Kansas and my letter from Illinois were very specific, as was my MA funding letter from UNLV when I was accepted. OSU seems more like an outlier, I think.

Heimat - is Kansas a FLAS school? (I should know that...) FLAS stipends are usually pretty good and the rarer the desire to study the language you're asking for funding for, the easier it is to get it.

Summer funding opportunities are definitely something that I want to bring up when I meet people at programs. Since I'm broadening out of a strictly Anglo-American focus, I'm going to need to pick up at least one other language. My French is a good start, and I could probably pass a French language comp, but I'm thinking of going for either Spanish or Portuguese as part of my PhD.

You know even since admittance I've broadened my context for my research (19th century German immigration broadly) and looked at potential locations for comparative study.  Today I learned about some Wilhemine Germans being sent to the Ottoman empire around the turn of the 20th century.  History is a rabbit hole to end all rabbit holes. 

Seriously. I started thinking about history grad school long, long ago when I was an undergrad and I was planning on being a European women's scholar. I wound up working in tech and went back to UNLV to get an MS in Management Information Systems. My last semester in that program, I wound up needed to pick up an extra grad-level class to keep my full-time status, and everything MIS was offering that semester, I'd already taken, so I picked up a class in History - a colloquium in American Slavery. I'd minored in American as an undergrad, and fell back in love with history, so I bailed on my plan to apply for IS PhD programs and did an MA in history, American, with a European minor. The last two semesters, I've been finishing off my European minor coursework and have had 2 really fantastic seminars in British and comparative imperialism, and another really amazing seminar in Native American history. I think when I read Kathleen DuVal's The Native Ground, it was pretty clear that what I was really interested in was borderlands and colonialism, not early American anglo history.

It's really amazing what a fantastic professor and a really compelling monograph will do to your brain.

Edited by Fianna

Colonialism is fascinating!  In my first attempt at a master's degree I worked on British settler colonialism in New Zealand/Australia.  At that point I applied to PhD programs haphazardly and didn't get in anywhere.  Then I did my masters and worked on a bunch of different stuff but did my capstone research project (non-thesis track) on German immigrants in Texas.  It's also interesting how I've positioned myself as a scholar to the various departments i applied to. I reread my Colorado application and suddenly I'm a Germanist with ties to Africa.  Isn't academia fun?