Normal for current grad students to reach out to prospectives?

Hello All:

A current graduate student from my top choice recently reached out to me to talk about his experience in the program and his lab group, and how I may fit into that culture. I have already scheduled a time to talk and I'm planning to treat as a two-way interview.

However, I was wondering if this is a normal practice or is it usually the POI that does this?

Thanks!

Hello All:

A current graduate student from my top choice recently reached out to me to talk about his experience in the program and his lab group, and how I may fit into that culture. I have already scheduled a time to talk and I'm planning to treat as a two-way interview.

However, I was wondering if this is a normal practice or is it usually the POI that does this?

Thanks!

I'd say that's uncommon; they sound like they really want you! Hopefully you like them enough back. :)

Perhaps the POI has instructed the grad student to interview you.

Is this your first interview?

Is the grad student a "senior" at the lab?

Lots of post-doctoral fellows, or older PhD students, are gonna (or wanna) be professors soon, so it's not that surprising if your POI might have delegated such tasks to them.

That said, it won't hurt if you ask for verification from you POI after the interview. If the student is acting on his/her own, it's a major redflag that the lab policy isn't the best of the bunch. I say this based on a demoralizing experience that my female friend had last year.

I'd say that's uncommon; they sound like they really want you! Hopefully you like them enough back. :)

I hope so!

While the lab isn't exactly what I was looking for in regards of research, I'm willing to work with them if it's the right fit.

I'm the type to output my best on any biomedical research topic, as long as the people I work with are awesome! :-)

Thanks for the input!

Perhaps the POI has instructed the grad student to interview you.

Is this your first interview?

Is the grad student a "senior" at the lab?

Lots of post-doctoral fellows, or older PhD students, are gonna (or wanna) be professors soon, so it's not that surprising if your POI might have delegated such tasks to them.

That said, it won't hurt if you ask for verification from you POI after the interview. If the student is acting on his/her own, it's a major redflag that the lab policy isn't the best of the bunch. I say this based on a demoralizing experience that my female friend had last year.

His PI (and now my POI) asked if he could reach out to me. Otherwise, I would've contacted the program about it.

This would be my first interview for the graduate application process. He's a senior student so I was more shocked that he would even have the time! I'll definitely ask for verification with the POI, just to be safe.

I also accepted the graduate program's invitation for their recruitment/interview weekend later on this month so it's been rather interesting.

This is really common in my field--happened to me at almost every school I got into. I also recently just did this to some people interested in my program. Our academic chair sent out a list of all names and email addresses of accepted students a couple of weeks ago and encouraged us to contact them if we felt like it.

This is really common in my field--happened to me at almost every school I got into. I also recently just did this to some people interested in my program. Our academic chair sent out a list of all names and email addresses of accepted students a couple of weeks ago and encouraged us to contact them if we felt like it.

Well, that's even more encouraging that I should make sure to use the opportunity to learn more and give a good impression.

Thanks!

Current students are just as excited to meet prospectives (our future colleagues!) as prospective students are excited to visit potential grad schools :) I got a lot out of my interactions with my grad students hosts during my visits/emails. And I made some academic friends that I keep up with at conferences!

Usually, in these cases, we are just excited to meet you and looking to find ways to encourage you to come! That is, this is generally a friendly thing, and we're not looking to find faults in you :) (although of course, if visiting students act like jerks when they visit, we definitely remember).

I get asked to reach out to prospective students every year. My PI knows that I have a different perspective on the program, and can better answer questions about living in the area, etc.

Current students are just as excited to meet prospectives (our future colleagues!) as prospective students are excited to visit potential grad schools :) I got a lot out of my interactions with my grad students hosts during my visits/emails. And I made some academic friends that I keep up with at conferences!

Usually, in these cases, we are just excited to meet you and looking to find ways to encourage you to come! That is, this is generally a friendly thing, and we're not looking to find faults in you :) (although of course, if visiting students act like jerks when they visit, we definitely remember).

Well, I'm certainly not a jerk by default, so hopefully I don't come off as one during that weekend. I tend to get anxiety really bad if I don't check myself. It's good to hear that current students are just as excited to meet prospective students too!

Thanks for the reassurance!

I get asked to reach out to prospective students every year. My PI knows that I have a different perspective on the program, and can better answer questions about living in the area, etc.

Different perspectives are always good. It gives a bigger picture of the program and makes it real.

I'm glad to hear that you're sharing your own experiences with prospectives like me. If accepted, this would be the first time I would be leaving my hometown/area for longer than 5 months and actually move out of the area. It's a bit daunting but exciting at the same time!

Thank you for your input! :)

Edited by attackonthedoctor

As a current PhD, I only reach out, tour or talk to prospective applicants when instructed by my advisor. However I have heard of other departments using a mentor system so they could be reaching out for that reason as well.  Either way it's a good sign, someone wants you there.

As a current PhD, I only reach out, tour or talk to prospective applicants when instructed by my advisor. However I have heard of other departments using a mentor system so they could be reaching out for that reason as well.  Either way it's a good sign, someone wants you there.

It's good to hear another positive reassurance. Thanks, Edge!

UPDATE: We had talked over the phone this week and it was a productive conversation.  The program and research seem to be a good fit for me and it makes me more affirmed in considering that program as my top choice.  The interview/recruitment weekend is the last hurdle to overcome before a final decision can be determined. 

Thank you all for the input and positive vibes!

Edited by attackonthedoctor

I have the opposite problem! I'm planning a visit (to a program I was accepted to) and the chair of the department gave me the email of a student and told me to make sure I get in touch with that person before I came so they could set up a meet and greet.

I've emailed this person twice, a week apart, and gotten no response. I don't want to start off my tenure there by tattling on another student, but talking to other students there is a big reason I'm taking the rather expensive trip!

I was thinking of emailing and saying "Do you have another email for this person?" Do you think that is ok? What should I do?

The student might just be really busy. Most graduate program websites lists their current grad students' email addresses. Instead of asking the prof about this, you should just go on the website and first check if you got the right address. If you did, then perhaps you can just try emailing other students in the program. 

Our academic chair sent out a list of all names and email addresses of accepted students a couple of weeks ago and encouraged us to contact them if we felt like it.

I wish my department did this or at least kept the graduate student website up-to-date.  Now that I'm writing this, I think I'll suggest it to the department. 

Gradcafe has such useful information!