A few questions...

I am really interested in an international relations or international studies masters degree. But... I come from an anthropology background, and all of my work experience is either irrelevant (working in customer service) or anthro related (read: working in a museum) so I don't really have any of the work experience or references that most people who have always known IR was their calling do... I changed my mind my senior year of undergrad. when I started taking international conflict, and political geography courses and I realized that the actual diplomacy and euro/us relations interested me far more than the more obscure subjects that anthropology covers. (Don't get me wrong I still love anthropology, but I feel it will limit me from subjects I have a stronger interest in)... I worked 50 or more hours a week at two jobs through full time undergrad, so I wasn't involved in extracurriculars. For similar reasons, I can't exactly drop everything and volunteer for something more IR related now. Am I doomed? Is there any chance at all that I can get into one of these programs? I am perfectly open to schools that are not top 10s as I realize I have pretty much zero chance of those... I've read that there were a few people that got in without super relevant credentials, but they seemed to find a way to make it work for them. Are there any suggestions? Also, as I am researching.... I have to wonder is there a major difference, other than name, between IR programs and IS programs or is it just semantics? Any suggestions or thoughts are welcome!

Mmm. That does make things harder, considering your background.

Some quick thoughts...

If you know specifically what you want to do with an IR degree, that will go a long way in helping you develop a cohesive application package.

On a similar note, think about a way to tie your personal story into a desire to become involved in public service and/or international relations.

Yeah...there are some things I think I could somehow tie into my SOP about my life/work, that might help...I've spent quite a bit of time in europe as I still have family there (i am 2nd gen), and I also spent my time at the museum interpreting aspects of policy/international relations to the general public (but this of course lends itself more to academics than practical). I just can't help feeling like I'm grasping for straws. It is something that I am very passionate about doing though, and part of me says if I want it bad enough I can make it happen (very cliche, I know). I guess for now I will just try to really narrow down what I am interested in, consider the academic side of things, and keep looking for schools that tend toward the anthro side of things. I have found a few IR/IS programs that rely heavily on their anthro professors/depts and am thinking this might be something for me... Thanks for the input. Anything is helpful.

I second the above question.

Also, would these professional programs look down on the idea of me getting another MA first? If I were to get my anthropology MA, get some work experience in, and maybe in 3 years or so come back and apply for an IR degree..is that possible? I think I have seen a few people with other masters degrees...but I am just curious how common it is/how it is looked upon if anyone has that info.

I second the above question.

Also, would these professional programs look down on the idea of me getting another MA first? If I were to get my anthropology MA, get some work experience in, and maybe in 3 years or so come back and apply for an IR degree..is that possible? I think I have seen a few people with other masters degrees...but I am just curious how common it is/how it is looked upon if anyone has that info.

I know several people who went on to get another masters degree before going back for a masters in IR and policy, and at some pretty impressive schools at that. It definitely did not hurt their application. I would actually say it enhanced their application a bit. The intersection between international relations and policy, and other fields is becoming very important today. So people who are thinking along that route stand a strong shot of getting in to programs of their choice.