programs that focus more on last 60 credits

amg1322

So I am just starting out on my grad programs research. To say that my first couple years and 60 credits weren't stellar is an understatement. I know that some programs point out that they focus more on grades and gpa from last 60 credits. Has anyone come across these programs? Or have you been in a similar situation? What programs did you end up applying to?

I would love some help on finding more programs like this to check out. Thanks for your help!

Grades are not important as far as you reach  a minimum GPA. What´s really important is your essay, work samples and resume. Schools do not have to validate how another school(your undergraduate institution) grade you. Their standards are not the same ones as those of the grad school you are applying. If you are good show them that through your writing and experiences. Grades are not important even thou school do not say that explicitly. 

Grades are not important as far as you reach  a minimum GPA. What´s really important is your essay, work samples and resume. Schools do not have to validate how another school(your undergraduate institution) grade you. Their standards are not the same ones as those of the grad school you are applying. If you are good show them that through your writing and experiences. Grades are not important even thou school do not say that explicitly. 

really? When reading requirements they always place such a strong emphasis on grades and high gpa that I'm worried my chances will be hindered. My overall gpa and gre scores are good, I have strong references and am working on my personal statement. I'm just worried about how much my chances will be affected by the track record of the first couple years. 

If it means anything to you, I was just accepted to Stanford's Journalism MA program for '15 with a C+ in one of my high-level reporting courses and a C in photojournalism, which were both part of my last 60 credits. My writing samples, LoR's and SoP were strong enough (apparently!) to compensate for one or two professor's opinions of my work. My overall GPA was still >3.5 and my grades in other journalism courses were excellent. Still relevant though!

• 2 weeks later...

If it means anything to you, I was just accepted to Stanford's Journalism MA program for '15 with a C+ in one of my high-level reporting courses and a C in photojournalism, which were both part of my last 60 credits. My writing samples, LoR's and SoP were strong enough (apparently!) to compensate for one or two professor's opinions of my work. My overall GPA was still >3.5 and my grades in other journalism courses were excellent. Still relevant though!

thanks that does help a bit. So far my last 60 credits have been very strong. What worries me is that several years ago fresh out of high school when I started college I really slacked off. So my college academic record at first isn't even close to decent. I know I've shown a serious trend of improvement and will have a strong gpa but I'm worried about how much all that slacking is going to cost me now. 

I've come across maybe two programs that say they focus more on your gpa from your last 60 credits than your first 60 but I'm worried how factual this actually is. Has anyone else had the same issues with their grades?