Negotiating Offers

I hope it works out. I think a lot of it may depend on where you are and what the tuition is. If it's a phenomenal stipend and it's a less expensive school, like CUNY, then it may make sense. But if it's Claremont or Chicago and the funding will not cover the tuition and fees (and then some), then it's a different story. I'm crossing my fingers the other schools work out so you can leverage them against each other and pick the best option.

Thanks, lyonessrampant! Yeah, having done my MA in English, I was a TA and got all the grad goods that way. This, however, is a comp lit department, so it's not as cut and dry for students with respect to assistantships. There are available TA and RA-ships, but it depends on what the needs are and what languages you work in. Also, it appears that they might delegate those to students after the first year?

And yeah, I agree that it's...not great to not provide tuition waivers for funded students... that would really make this funding package more appealing. 

The stipend is sizable, and perhaps they're assuming that I will use that to cover it? And being an international student, I imagine I'll be paying pricier international tuition. Regardless, I would need them to provide me with sufficient evidence that it will be fairly easy for me to find funding for the remainder of my program AND that I have the department supporting me in this. 

Ugh, I'm so bummed, you guys. 

They might (i think there is a good possibility that they will) offer you in-state tuition. I know I got a couple unfunded MA offers a couple years ago that offered to in-state tuition. If your stipend is sizable it might be worth it. At least ask. 

I received an official officer and funding information today from a program that I love. It was kind of a buzzkill, as the funding package was not quite what I had hoped. Essentially they said that I am nominated for a sizable first-year scholarship; however, I am responsible for tuition and fees. Additionally, they are "not guaranteeing" funding for the remainder of my program (PhD), but they "will continue to pursue funding options" for me. Also—I would be an international student, so it's significantly important for me to have some security in this. As of now it's my only offer, but I'm waiting on a few more places.... but this is my favorite.

I'm planning to negotiate, but I'm interested if anyone has had experience with this kind of thing, or what advice you would give me for negotiating. Is it unreasonable to ask for a tuition waiver, or a way for tuition to be part of the funding package? That would help me significantly.

If this is a Canadian program, many don't cover tuition and fees. Alberta, UBC, and Calgary, for example, do not. Your negotiating is better spent on guaranteeing funding, I think.

If this is a Canadian program, many don't cover tuition and fees. Alberta, UBC, and Calgary, for example, do not. Your negotiating is better spent on guaranteeing funding, I think.

thanks, thepriorwalter! That helps. Good advice—I wasn't aware of that. It is a Canadian program (I'm American). Do you have any experience with Canadian departments? I'd be inclined to accept if I can just have a little more security with support, or if they can give me a sense that continued funding is available and obtainable. 

Canadian? Ok, ignore everything I said--I was going by American rules.

Yeah, Canadian rules seem to be a bit different. I have some mentors who have done graduate work at Canadian institutions, so I'm asking them for feedback as well. I'll see what they say about getting a more secure offer—or at least a sense that obtaining continued funding isn't too difficult, and that the department will help me in this. I think, for me (unless I get another offer), it's worth the risk—given me fit in the department and the resources available to me there. It's a dream program/department... 

Thanks, all. You are all wonderful and supportive. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, I just wanted to check back into this thread and report success! The private school I'm considering offered me a very generous package, and one of the smaller state schools I'm considering updated their offer to a surprising degree. If you haven't mentioned to your DGS that you're weighing another (higher) offer, yet, you should consider it! :)

Hey, I just wanted to check back into this thread and report success! The private school I'm considering offered me a very generous package, and one of the smaller state schools I'm considering updated their offer to a surprising degree. If you haven't mentioned to your DGS that you're weighing another (higher) offer, yet, you should consider it! :)

I'll add to this: I mentioned in passing to a POI during a visit that I was at the top of the wait list for another school (re: not an actual other acceptance) and an hour later, the secretary approached me and said that I should let them know when the offer comes in and they'll try and match it.

Hopefully not coming off as braggy but just want to note that it's certainly very possible for increased funding without negotiation. As in, I didn't even try and push for more funding, they just did it of their own volition when I mentioned the other possible offer.

Anyone thinking about it, go for it!