Interview weekend itinerary

Laniel

Hi all,

I have an interview weekend in about a week and I still have no idea what events are planned for invited students or what he schedule of events is going to me.  I'm trying to decide what to bring with me and I feel like I can't do that until I know more about what I'll be doing. 

So, I have 3 questions:

1. Is a schedule for invited candidates normally provided ahead of time?

2. Would it be appropriate to email the department and ask for an idea of the itinerary?

3. What are some common events that I should plan on attending during the weekend (besides faculty interviews)

Thanks!

Hi all,

I have an interview weekend in about a week and I still have no idea what events are planned for invited students or what he schedule of events is going to me.  I'm trying to decide what to bring with me and I feel like I can't do that until I know more about what I'll be doing. 

So, I have 3 questions:

1. Is a schedule for invited candidates normally provided ahead of time?

2. Would it be appropriate to email the department and ask for an idea of the itinerary?

3. What are some common events that I should plan on attending during the weekend (besides faculty interviews)

Thanks!

Heya! First, congratulations for getting this far in the process.  Secondly, it wouldn't hurt to ask the department secretary or your POI these questions if they haven't already addressed them.  If not, I share with you my experience. 

1) Is a schedule for invited candidates normally provided ahead of time?

Yes.  However when it is sent out differs among programs.  Some give it to you weeks before, while others don't send it out until the day before.  It is depends on who is making the itineraries for the prospectives and how many prospectives they have to accommodate.  

2) Would it be appropriate to email the department and ask for an idea of the itinerary?

Absolutely!  At the very worst, they can't give you further information at this time.  At the best, you could get a sample itinerary from a previous interview/recruitment weekend.  You should also ask for the attire of the weekend, just to be safe.  The good thing about doing this is that it reflects great on you and makes you more memorable because you're being proactive about what is going on and most programs like that in a new student.  Just be respectful in your email and don't imply that you're rushing them.

3) What are some common events that I should plan on attending during the weekend (besides faculty interviews)?
Everyone on this forum tells you about them "wining and dining" you, and it's completely true!  You'll meet current students and probably have a few social events with them.  There would probably be a dinner/some-sort-of-meal with faculty members of the department.  You can also expect a tour of the facilities and maybe graduate housing.  As long as you keep your wits about you and don't act like a jerk, you'll be fine at these complementary events.

I hope this helps! 

Thanks!  That does help.  I actually heard from another attendee that we should be getting schedules soon, but I may still email the department if I don't hear anything in the next couple days. 

From what everyone's said the moral of the story seems to be that the vast majority of us fret way too much over the details of our interview/open house weekends, and the facutly probably wont remember or care whether we wear brown or black shoes :)

I'm glad to be of help and relieve some anxiety! :D  

I do agree that we over-stress during this part of the process, some more than others. Just be your best self and everything will fall into place.  At this point in the process, if you do get rejected and you did your best to be your best self, it was for the best since you may not have fitted there as well as you may think.

Good luck, and most importantly, have fun!