E-mailing POI

citizencities

Would it be appropriate to e-mail a POI that is on the staff at a school I applied for about admissions decisions? I wrote a little about him in my statement of purpose, helped me a ton, had casual talk in the past. He's not part of the admissions committee, but he told me during an open house that he'll once in a while step in and read a few essays if prompted. 

Any advice/suggestions on the right question to ask? 

I think it would be inappropriate to email a POI about admission decisions.  You will eventually find out the committee's decision - the same as all of the other applicants.  I know we are all getting anxious, but it is a process we all have to go through and POI's have more important matters to tend to than easing our nerves. 

Not trying to come off as rude, it's just my opinion.

Edited by tangerine15

He's not part of the admissions committee, but he told me during an open house that he'll once in a while step in and read a few essays if prompted. 

Hm. Be honest with yourself when you think back on what he said. Was he implying that he should be contacted before the deadline to assess fit before the student wastes time and money or did he leave that detail very much up in the air?

I contacted a POI after the deadline, but it was because they continue to review applications until May and I was jerked out of complacency when I heard about folks getting invited out for interviews not a day after I submitted my late app. 

90% of the time, you should simply call or email the admissions staff. With calling, you don't always have to leave your name, a bonus if you're paranoid about being seen as "annoying" somehow.

For profs, I only ever email if I have a direct yes/no question for them........but you can always invent one.

I would say, no, do not email to ask about an admissions decision.  They will tell you once they have determined your status and determined their timeframe to notify applicants.  Hard as it is, we must cede some level of control.

With all things at this point, ask yourself: does this benefit my application or relieve my anxiety? Kudos if it does both. But if it only relieves your anxiety and does not benefit your application, then best to go see a movie, have a glass of wine, read a novel, meet up with friends, etc. Anything to relive your anxiety.  I have had to nearly slap my hands from emailing people I shouldn't.

Completely agree with Tangerine. Best of luck!

Edited by c m