NPSIA 2015 Fall Applicants

myfirstgoose

Oh! I just found something that might interest you : 

Congrats on the good news guys!

I called Tabbatha today and didn't receive as good news.  My application has been put on "hold," which means I'm waitlisted.  I will not be in the first round of applications, but there is a chance, depending on how many people accept their offers, that I will be in the second round.  She could not say how far down the list I was, or what my odds were, because the list she had was just alphabetized.

As for waiting time, she said I would not hear by the end of this week, and it was unlikely that I would hear by the end of next week.  She said it would be in the following weeks.  Once the first round is complete, she will be sending an email to the hold applicants to let them know they have been waitlisted.  That doesn't mean that everyone who hasn't heard by now is waitlisted, as it seems they are still sorting through the applications in the first round.

Definitely disappointing news to hear, but at least I have an idea of where I stand now.

No, I applied to the M.A in international affairs. But i'm an international student, so maybe it takes a few more weeks to get my response... Good luck to all of you guys ;)

No, I applied to the M.A in international affairs. But i'm an international student, so maybe it takes a few more weeks to get my response... Good luck to all of you guys ;)

I'm also in the same boat. International student, application on hold. 

Sure. I received 17k in scholarships and awards and a TA position worth 10k.

I got an email saying to check my status.

I will be accepting my offer.

Good luck to everyone else!

Hi there, I got the exact same offer for funding, and also see that the 10K is spilt over the 2 years :) ️sorry if you answered this already, but what is your specialization? And of course, congrats!!

Edited by 7alima7

Hi there, I got the exact same offer for funding, and also see that the 10K is spilt over the 2 years :) ️sorry if you answered this already, but what is your specialization? And of course, congrats!!

I'll be in intelligence and national security! Congrats to you as well!

wow, myfirstgoose and 7alima7, those are amazing funding offers, congrats!!

I re-read my gspia offer, and it's the official offer, no funding. I expect the same with npsia, since my grades aren't stellar, and since I have yet to hear back. I'm assuming people with more funding get official offers sooner??  Has anyone else received their official npsia offer?

Has anyone else received their official npsia offer?

Yes, I received mine last week. Received 3,500 in entrance scholarships, plus just over 10,000 per year for a TA position. (conflict studies stream)

Congrats on your acceptance!

Congrats on the awesome scholarships and funding packages everyone! :)

I got my letter - I got 10k in scholarships but no funding. In all honesty I am surprised I got in (albeit a conditional offer) and got a scholarship, I was expecting a late conditional offer because I got a low grade in intro to macroeconomics. 

I will be going to gspia. Good luck everyone!

I recieved my funding offer today, with only $12000 total for both years in scholarships, and no TA position. I am kind of suprised it was so low since my cum. GPA is 3.91 and I have a lot of international experience, and really good letters of rec. I am going to have to decline the offer since UOttawa offered me more than double that, and that's just something I can't turn down.

Holy smokes, those are a lot of great offers! 

Has everyone been getting letters as in real, mailed, letters? I assumed the offer would be e-mailed and mailed, but maybe not! If so i'll have to get my parents to sift carefully through the mail (I'm living abroad). Nerve-wracking!!

Holy smokes, those are a lot of great offers! 

Has everyone been getting letters as in real, mailed, letters? I assumed the offer would be e-mailed and mailed, but maybe not! If so i'll have to get my parents to sift carefully through the mail (I'm living abroad). Nerve-wracking!!

I got an email offer. It took a fair while for them to update carleton central, but that is where all of the information appeared and was updated for me!

I got an email offer. It took a fair while for them to update carleton central, but that is where all of the information appeared and was updated for me!

Thanks for the info! Carleton Central still stays I'm "recommended for assessment" so I'll just have to wait patiently I guess. :)

Another question (hopefully others are finding my questions helpful too! :) ) - I'm still very torn between NPSIA and GSPIA. I'm delighted and grateful to have been accepted into both, but they both have a lot going for them, and likely no funding from either makes the decision even harder. Does anyone have more insight/opinions into the pros and cons of each program?

For me, pros of NPSIA: better reputation, more connections (although Ottawa seems very well connected too), nicer campus, really friendly staff (Tabbatha was so much nicer and more helpful than the advisers at UOttawa, not that that necessarily reflects on the programs themselves). I'm most interested in the Global Public Policy stream, and would apply for the African Studies Specialization as well. 

Pros of GSPIA: A few profs that research really close to what I'm interested in (post-colonial and feminist theories), more research based, and the french component. I was in French Immersion but have lost a lot of French over the years and would love to brush up on it- and have it on paper that I did! 

Thoughts? :)

Edited by mango321

I recieved my funding offer today, with only $12000 total for both years in scholarships, and no TA position. I am kind of suprised it was so low since my cum. GPA is 3.91 and I have a lot of international experience, and really good letters of rec. I am going to have to decline the offer since UOttawa offered me more than double that, and that's just something I can't turn down.

Hey there. I'm curious about their funding offers as well. I had a similar CGPA, and a year of int. exp. working for local human rights organizations. I received $3,500 in funding over the two years, but I did get a full TA spot so that is just over 20 grand. Other people who have posted here have instead gotten quite a bit of funding (e.g. $17,000) but only received a partial or no TA position. I was a bit surprised that I only received 3,500 in entrance money, but I'm thinking that perhaps they have tried to spread the funds around, so that those with TA spots would get less than those who didn't get them? (or maybe that is me just trying to justify why I didn't get as much funding as I hoped for). I'm also not complaining, I know the applicant pool is really strong and am pretty happy to have received what I did. Just thought I'd echo what you said and offer my $00.02. 

Did anyone also apply for OGS/SSHRC funding? The offer letter said that I have to accept NPSIA by April 3, but I don't think OGS results are due out till mid April and my acceptance hinges on getting one of those scholarships. I was under the impression that decisions didn't need to be made until April 15th so I'm a little surprised by the 3 week deadline. I emailed Tabbatha about it but nothing back yet, just curious if anyone has thoughts on those scholarships.

Hey there. I'm curious about their funding offers as well. I had a similar CGPA, and a year of int. exp. working for local human rights organizations. I received $3,500 in funding over the two years, but I did get a full TA spot so that is just over 20 grand. Other people who have posted here have instead gotten quite a bit of funding (e.g. $17,000) but only received a partial or no TA position. I was a bit surprised that I only received 3,500 in entrance money, but I'm thinking that perhaps they have tried to spread the funds around, so that those with TA spots would get less than those who didn't get them? (or maybe that is me just trying to justify why I didn't get as much funding as I hoped for). I'm also not complaining, I know the applicant pool is really strong and am pretty happy to have received what I did. Just thought I'd echo what you said and offer my $00.02. 

Did anyone also apply for OGS/SSHRC funding? The offer letter said that I have to accept NPSIA by April 3, but I don't think OGS results are due out till mid April and my acceptance hinges on getting one of those scholarships. I was under the impression that decisions didn't need to be made until April 15th so I'm a little surprised by the 3 week deadline. I emailed Tabbatha about it but nothing back yet, just curious if anyone has thoughts on those scholarships.

I did, if you email them, programs are usually lenient and willing to extend the deadline for you to have all of your funding information secured.

@Kamins0d thank you. Did exactly that, Tabbatha has given me until the 10th (and I have the feeling that if I haven't heard about SSHRC by then she would be willing to wait a few more days).

I just got my acceptance email!!! So exciiiteedd!!  :D (for the JD-MA program).

Congrats on the funding guys, us joint degree guys don't get to hear about that until next year... since it's technically an acceptance for Fall 2016.

Crossing fingers for those still waiting!

I just got my acceptance email!!! So exciiiteedd!!  :D (for the JD-MA program).

Congrats on the funding guys, us joint degree guys don't get to hear about that until next year... since it's technically an acceptance for Fall 2016.

Crossing fingers for those still waiting!

Congratulations!!!

That's so awesome. I'm so happy for you.  ^_^

@Kamins0d thank you. Did exactly that, Tabbatha has given me until the 10th (and I have the feeling that if I haven't heard about SSHRC by then she would be willing to wait a few more days).

I believe CGSM scholars will hear exactly on the first? But I could be wrong. My friend heard about his SSHRC on the first last year to Western.

For those who may be keeping track and taking note of trends, I received my rejection email today @ 10:00AM. 

On to plan B for me! Congratulations to all of you who were accepted and best of luck to those waiting!