What happens if I send my score before the applications are open?

nikhil_m

Hi gradcafe,

I'm applying for fall 2016 for MS in US. I'm planning to take GRE in next month - March. I've recently learned that ETS allows you to send your score to 4 Universities for free, when prompted on the exam day itself. Else we need to pay 23$ each to send our score to any university from following day. 

But, applications for 2016 fall might open in September, 2015 to the earliest.

What happens if I send my score before the applications are open? Will the universities retain my score, or will they ask me to send them again?

I want to write GRE earlier and get all set before applications are open, so that I can have better chances of getting any sort of funding.

I'll also have time to write it again, incase. 

So folks, is there any chance for me to avail that 4 Universities Score Report facility?

I know for a fact that some schools will ask you to re-send if you do not submit an application within X months of submitting supporting materials.

At Tufts, for example you have to submit an application within 3 months of sending your GRE scores, or else.

What happens if I send my score before the applications are open? Will the universities retain my score, or will they ask me to send them again?

It depends on the individual school's application process. Some will hold the scores in limbo and wait for the app to come thru, others will have no idea what to do with it. It all depends on what software they are using.

Most schools will be OK with the scores if they are within a year or so of the application, but you would need to check with the individual school

Since it won't cost you anything to send the scores on the test day you might as well do it then, you won't be out any $$$ for doing it that way. If you wait (even until the day after you take the test) you will need to pay the extra fees -- personally I think that sucks, ETS should allow you to send the initial set of 3 or 4 anytime within a reasonable time period after taking the test.

In my honest opinion, I think taking the GRE in March for a fall application will be fine. I agree with everyone else that it wouldn't hurt to check, and you definitely want to use those four free sends (it's $27 I think to send a score now, at least that's how much I paid). 

I agree with MidwesternAloha that most schools create a file for you. The grad school application timeline begins way before September, so it's my belief that most schools expect to be getting scores around this time for future applicants. 

Also, if they didn't receive your scores, they'll usually let you know. 

But you have to use your 4 free score reports on schools you would apply to without fail, and, between March and the actual submission of applications, months later, you may find yourself having sent some free score reports for nothing...

But you have to use your 4 free score reports on schools you would apply to without fail, and, between March and the actual submission of applications, months later, you may find yourself having sent some free score reports for nothing...

I did that...thankfully it was only one school, and found myself having to send 4 additional reports. Heed these very good words! Good luck! :)