Online Prerequisites (not a full postbacc)

Hi all! 

Does anyone know of any online program that allows you to take slp prerequisites without taking the full postbacc program? I plan to take all the prerequisites during the summer before matriculation. It would be best if the classes start late June or after. Thank you for your responses in advance! :)

Hi all! 

Does anyone know of any online program that allows you to take slp prerequisites without taking the full postbacc program? I plan to take all the prerequisites during the summer before matriculation. It would be best if the classes start late June or after. Thank you for your responses in advance! :)

I'm also doing Utah State online. Been doing it part time since last May, and I'll have everything I need by the time Fall is here. I have been very happy with the classes, and did get accepted to my first choice school (I was worried about them not taking USU seriously, but apparently they're used to accepting their credits)

• 1 month later...

A few questions for those of you who are taking/ have taken prereqs..

1) Does anyone have experience with Longwood's program? I think it's cheaper than USU, but to be honest USU's tuition page had me a little confused (so if anyone has input on out of state cost per credit for them that would also be great!)

2) How many classes are you taking at a time? I think I only want to take 2 or 3 courses, so if I'm taking just the two I'm wondering if I should do both simultaneously or split them between semesters.

3) A few prereq courses schools have asked for are covered across 2 different courses or are combined into one course for my university. Are any of you taking prereq courses that are similar to your undergrad but have different titles/course descriptions? Or are you guys purely taking classes you have had no experience with before?

I've got 3 wait lists and no acceptances yet, so I'm preparing myself for a year off. Thanks in advance!!

1) Does anyone have experience with Longwood's program? I think it's cheaper than USU, but to be honest USU's tuition page had me a little confused (so if anyone has input on out of state cost per credit for them that would also be great!)

I don't have any experience with Longwood, but I believe USU is currently $290 per credit hour for out-of-state online students.

Question: How do exams for CSD online classes work?

I've only taken one online class (a theater class) and exams were timed and open book. But one of my friends had a soc class where the professor monitored the students via webcam during exams. I'm just trying to figure out what to expect should I plan to enroll in online pre-reqs.

Question: How do exams for CSD online classes work?

I've only taken one online class (a theater class) and exams were timed and open book. But one of my friends had a soc class where the professor monitored the students via webcam during exams. I'm just trying to figure out what to expect should I plan to enroll in online pre-reqs.

I've taken several now and they can work a few different ways. I had 2 that were open book, at home, and timed. 1 (not CSD) at a local community college I have to go to their campus for exams. Most others (at USU) you find a local proctor and go there for exams (for me it's another college about 20 minutes away at their library). Some proctors charge $25-30 per exam  - mine is free. If you have no local proctors (they provide you a national list) you can use an online service (proctoru, I think?) that you pay for that monitors you while you take it.

2) How many classes are you taking at a time? I think I only want to take 2 or 3 courses, so if I'm taking just the two I'm wondering if I should do both simultaneously or split them between semesters.

3) A few prereq courses schools have asked for are covered across 2 different courses or are combined into one course for my university. Are any of you taking prereq courses that are similar to your undergrad but have different titles/course descriptions? Or are you guys purely taking classes you have had no experience with before?

I've got 3 wait lists and no acceptances yet, so I'm preparing myself for a year off. Thanks in advance!!

Hi! I'm currently taking classes through Longwood. I don't remember prices, I know I picked Longwood over Utah because it was definitely cheaper.

I'm taking two classes online with them (Speech Science and Language Development Across the Lifespan) along with 4 classes at my home university (Stony Brook). To be completely honest, it is a LOT of work doing the two online plus the four classes (plus work plus training plus everything else LOL), but I think I'm able to pull it off as well as I am because my last semester at SBU is not as rigorous as the rest of my semesters here have been. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it depends what else you have on your plate. If you're going to be working full time hours on your year off or keeping yourself very busy, then yea, I might split them up to be safe. But if you're going to only be working part time and just doing a little relaxing on your year off, then yea, do the two together and get them over with; maybe work more during the semester you're not taking any classes. They are manageable and they're nice because you can do the work on your own time (like wake up at 8 am on a Sunday to hand things in at noon because you didn't want to finish it the day before.. :x). But if you have any other questions about that you can just PM me about it :)

As I'm sure you know, the SLP pre-req courses are nice because the majority of them overlap at least a little bit. The classes I'm taking are definitely not classes I have taken before, but I've learned a good amount of the material in other classes (for example, a lot of what I'm learning now in Speech Science bounces off of what I've learned in both Phonetics and A&P of Speech and Hearing, but it is definitely a necessary class because I'm learning a lot of new things). But my situation could be different because my college does not offer an undergraduate program in CSD, only a few of the courses. I hope this helped! :)

Hi there, 

I think you should look at the schools you would likely go to prior to making this decision and then decide if leveling is the way to go or not. Looking at two well known programs in the same city: 

For example, Northwestern saves about 25% of their slots for out-of-field applicants so you don't need to do the leveling prior to applying. It is actually much less competitive to get into NU if you are out-of-field. Once you have the leveling, you go into the generally pool with many, many more applicants. They have recently added an online leveling program. 

Rush, on the other hand, does not take people without the pre-reqs. They don't require a post-bacc, but do require some leveling work. They don't care if you do them online or in person, they even list some online schools on their website. CosmicMorgan,  you might want to look at the online schools Rush mentions on their website. 

For the OP, ENMU often has three sessions per term (1st 8week, 2nd 8weeks, & 16 week). I'm not sure if they do that in the summer but if they do that might be a way to get in more classes in the summer.