Does this mean acceptance? E-mail from my interviewer

gozhwl

Hi,

I had an interview at my top choice school last week, and I sent a thank-you email to one of my interviewers whose research really interested me, and asked him if he were accepting any grad students this year.

I got a reply that said, 

'Yes I fully intend to accept new graduate students, and vis a vis yourself, the decision would be an especially easy one to make. Please feel free to speak with me in the future. I would be delighted if you decide to join our program,'

...plus he said that he was sure that I've got superb potential for a successful career in science.

I was thrilled when I read it, thinking this meant acceptance. I am not sure if he's in the admission committee, but he's the head of the program and a big name in the department.

What worries me is that he did not directly say that I was in. 

Should I wait until the official decision before I celebrate?

Also, how do you think I should reply to his email?

I was so excited to get his reply and I am very determined to join his lab in case I get admitted.

Thanks in advance, and good luck to all of you!

Actually, I just reread it  a little more analytically. It appears that he would like you in the program, but that he has nothing to do with admissions and decisions. I rescind what I said. Hold out hope and pray.

Thanks for all your in-depth analyses. I'm not a native speaker of English, so it's difficult for me to catch the nuance in what he said.

For now, I'll just wait and hope for the best. 

Any suggestions on how to reply to his e-mail, though?

Or is it better not to respond at all?

Should I wait until the official decision before I celebrate?

Also, how do you think I should reply to his email?

I was so excited to get his reply and I am very determined to join his lab in case I get admitted.

Thanks in advance, and good luck to all of you!

Yes. Wait until you receive an official notice of acceptance. Even if he's the big dog in the department and even if you're his choice, it doesn't mean that he's going to be able to bark the loudest when it comes time to decide who gets to join the pack and who doesn't.

In your reply, thank him for his gracious email and his supportive remarks. Indicate that you would like to join the program. Indicate that, in the event you are admitted, you certainly hope to speak with him at greater length. Do not, repeat, do not commit to anything IRT working with him. That's a decision to be made after you've had a considerable amount of face time.

Thanks for all your in-depth analyses. I'm not a native speaker of English, so it's difficult for me to catch the nuance in what he said.

For now, I'll just wait and hope for the best. 

Any suggestions on how to reply to his e-mail, though?

Or is it better not to respond at all?

You could respond positively. Like "It would be an honor to join your program" etc, and then maybe ask when decisions are normally sent out to applicants. He probably doesn't know but it shows interest.

How does this reply sound?

Dear Dr.X
Thank you very much for your encouraging reply. I feel greatly honored to receive your comments of support. I would be extremely delighted, too, to join __'s molecular biology graduate program. I believe that the highly supportive and collaborative spirit of your program will surely propel my scientific pursuit. 
I greatly look forward to having more in depth discussions with you about your research project in the event that I get admitted into your program. 
Thank you again for your gracious comments. I was very glad and grateful to receive your e-mail.
I hope to speak with you in the future.

Yours Sincerely,

If he is a professor, I think calling him Prof. x is a better choice. And I think you have a really huge chance to get in.

Even he is not in admission committee, they usually accept the student that professor like. Unless your gpa, research are bad.