got offer but deadline is March 10

niketon

I have applied to 8 universities and got admission and funding offer from one university with decision deadline March 10. I gave an interview for this university and during interview my POI asked me about the time I needed to give my decision. I told them for mid of march. But till now I didn't receive any Other offer and I want to wait for other result. Now if I accept the offer now and got another better offer, then can I accept the other offer later? Or may it create any complications? I need to sign the offer letter and send them a scanned copy. The offer is good but I want to get result from other higher ranked university. What should I do now?

I have applied to 8 universities and got admission and funding offer from one university with decision deadline March 10. I gave an interview for this university and during interview my POI asked me about the time I needed to give my decision. I told them for mid of march. But till now I didn't receive any Other offer and I want to wait for other result. Now if I accept the offer now and got another better offer, then can I accept the other offer later? Or may it create any complications? I need to sign the offer letter and send them a scanned copy. The offer is good but I want to get result from other higher ranked university. What should I do now?

Normally schools shouldn't be placing deadlines on when you should accept/decline an offer. They are usually very understanding that you are still waiting for other decisions. Is this a very high-ranked school? Is it one of your top choices? I would try to talk to them, especially your POI if you can work out extending or removing a deadline. You CAN accept the offer and then decide to rescind your acceptance later for another, better offer, but you have to jump through some tough hoops, especially morally. Usually the school requires a written letter from you stating why you are changing your decision (they expect sufficient reason), and you have to send it to the head of the graduate program, you can't just tell your POI or a coordinator that you are no longer planning to attend. Of course, you can also discuss your concerns with someone if you are to accept, and state that you have been given an offer. If they want you badly enough, then they will work with you to make sure that you stay with them. Programs can be played against each other if they are competitive. Also, if you haven't heard anything from schools by mid-March, it is okay to contact them regarding the status of your application. At this point in time, I would communicate with your POI about your discomfort with the deadline.

Edited by scarvesandcardigans

Thanks for the reply. I also think that I should talk with my POI but I am afraid about how would she react as I have told her that I need time till mid march in the interview. If they said that they couldn't extend the offer time, then will it be legal to accept the offer now and decline it later if I get another better offer? I need to sign on the offer letter and that's why I am worried.

Edited by niketon

It's not legally binding until after April 15. You can always agree but retract (politely) if you get a better offer before April.

The CGS isn't a legal contract. Its an agreement. Schools can do whatever they want.